Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rerepete Posts: 17, Reputation: -1

Oct 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer Clunking Noise in Spin Cycle
    We have had a Kenmore Elite front load washer for a number of years (Model 970-38712-00). Today it started making a clunking noise when it started the high speed spin cycle (similar to putting a pair of runners in the dryer).

I took off the back and spun the pulley by hand and heard a clunk noise, once every revolution.

Is this a minor problem? Or should we shop around for a new washer?
    Jackky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 03:09 PM
    I have the same problem, what fixed it?
    paleoman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 08:49 PM

Mine did the same. It sounds like the aluminum spider arm broke and is clunking around. It's hell to fix and you'll end up spending so much on parts and your time to repair it that you'll wish you simply bought a new one. Besides, the design is purposely planned obsolescence. Spend extra for a higher quality unit is my advice.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Yes, this noise could be a broken spinner support; but it could also be foreign objects in between the tubs and (depending on where it is) could be fairly easy to solve. One wouldn't know until a proper inspection was made. If you're interested in keeping the washer, maybe its not that old, my recommendation is to call a service tech to make a proper diagnosis. That diagnosis charge could easily turn out to be money well spent by avoiding even more expense to attempt repair of a major malfunction. As far as "spend extra for higher quality unit", I can assure you that there is no way to do that. I have replaced MANY spinner supports and inner wash baskets in front loading washers that cost in excess of $1200.00, and most people would agree that's a lot of money to spend on a washer. Let me also assure you that what you pay for appliances doesn't necessarily equate to quality. The average consumer in this country really has no idea what they are buying. For example, there is a refrigerator on the market right now that is available under 7 different brand names. Still think name recognition means anything? Don't listen to anyone else's woes about what happened to them. Do what makes sense for your pocketbook. If fixing is cheaper than buying new or you can't afford to buy new, get it fixed. Just let the pros do it if you don't know how. Good luck.
    silvertable668 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Let's say that there is in fact a coin or object between the tubs that is causing the noise. How would you get it out? Thanks! You are all great trying to help each other.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2012, 06:05 AM
    The Kenmore Elite has a design problem where they used an aluminum spider gear with a stainless steel tub. This causes a reaction called electrolysis where the most reactive metal, aluminum, corrodes very badly and rapidly at all times until the spider gear is dissolved. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwpKP_9_fAA
    Here is a list of metals and a saying to remember the list going from most to least reactive:
    potassium = please
    sodium = stop
    lithium = lifting
    calcium = charlie's
    magnesium = monkeys
    aluminum =and
    zinc = zebras
    iron =I
    lead =like
    copper =chasing
    silver = silly
    gold = giraffes

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/A_list_of_metals_in_order_of_how_reactive_they_are #ixzz1nm9NqG4t

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Front Load Washer #417.41042000 won't spin, does drain [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, When I bought my machine, the previous owner offered the following description: It is about 2.5 years old. We had some problems with it spinning the proper speed after moving it. The repair people told us it was due to using too much soap or being imbalanced. Had it repaired a couple...

Kenmore elite washer broken spin cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kenmore elite 3-speed washer that has a problem with the clothes still being wet after the spin cycle and the center piece spins before the tub is filled. What can I do to repair it. Thanks.

Kenmore elite spin cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I am noticing on my Kenmore Elite Model 110.22992101 that the spin cycle is not causing the laundry to spin out as effecitve as before. The clothes still have a certain amount of water in them that if you wring them, will come out of the clothes. This seems to have happened fairly recently. Any...

View more questions Search