Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2010, 02:22 PM
    Do I have to pay alimony if my wife left for another man
    My wife left me after 20 yrs of marriage for another man, the children are on their own do I have to pay alimony and for how long?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 02:25 PM

Depends on your State and what your joint assets are, how much she contributed to the marriage and several other factors.

You need to consult with an Attorney - there is an advantage to being the Plaintiff instead of the Defendant.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2010, 02:40 PM

In most states in the US you have to pay temporary spousal support if the spouse didn't work. It's possible that she feels bad about leaving you and may not pursue any money.

You really need to contact an attorney ASAP to file and get legal guidance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 05:12 PM

It along with how much of the value of your house, car and bank accounts you get will all have to be worked out in court.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 07:53 AM

Any alimony she would be awarded by the Court would only be temporary anyway. Alimony is usually awarded if the wife stayed home and did not work outside the home. The alimony would be basically for rehabilitation to help her get schooling to be able to support herself in whatever career or job she thinks she can handle.

You need to consult with a good divorce attorney who can guide you through this as well as give you a good idea of just how much you will be ordered to pay by the Court. Each state is different. Your financial picture dictates what the bottom monthly number will be. You could also opt for a lump sum alimony award if she'll go along with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can girlfriend live with boyfriend when ex-wife is paying alimony? [ 6 Answers ]

This is in California.. maybe Cadillac59 is looking in! Does anyone know if an ex-wife must still pay alimony/support to her ex-husband (no minor children involved) if he now has a girlfriend living with him? They have put off marriage until the set time of payment from the ex-wife is exhausted....

Wife left took every thing left child what to do [ 7 Answers ]

Well me and my wife have been married 2 years and she took off left the kid and the kid is upset that her mom left her again she did it ounce and lost bouth children before we were married so I got the daughter back for her and now she abandened the child again the child is 16 turning 17 in 10...

Alimony ex wife inherited lots of money [ 1 Answers ]

I was divorced in Florida 1998 and pay 400.00 per month. I'm now remarried and wife is bed ridden med bills are killing me. My ex has inherited lots of money,and my question is can I get rid of the alimony?

Scared Mom/Have To Pay Child Support & Alimony [ 20 Answers ]

I have the first meeting with my attorney, my husband and his attorney soon. I learned in the preliminary meeting with my attorney that my husband is filing for custody, child support and alimony. The alimony is based on him saying that he does not have the income to maintain the home that he will...

View more questions Search