Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waterman82 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Can I sign off my parental rights
    I have 2 kid that live in Washington state and I live in houston I want to sign off my rights can you do that or not I was told the only way was if my ex wife got married and the man wanted to adoped my 2 kids can anoy help me with this
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Dec 19, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Would this be to avoid paying child support? That would be the very reason you CAN'T do that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2006, 10:04 AM
    You can relinquish your parental rights, but NOT your parental responsibilities. Which means you will still be liable for child support.

Generally, one only relinquishes their rights to allow someone else to adopt. Otherwise there is no reason to formally relinquish, just don't be a part of their lives.

Dec 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
    So I guess thair is no point of signing off my rights why would I want to pay child support if I would never see thim again. Also I was woundering I haven't received any paper work on her half saying any thang about child support
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Dec 19, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by waterman82
    why would i want to pay child support if i would never see thim again.
    Its not about what you want, its about supporting children that you brought into the world.

Dec 19, 2006, 10:51 AM
    so i guess thair is no point of signing off my rights why would i want to pay child support if i would never see thim again.
    Exactly! There is no reason to formally do this.
    also i was woundering i havent recived any paper work on her half saying any thang about child support
    Did you go through a divorce? Child support is agreed upon (or ordered) during the divorce proceedings. You need to have a copy of the divorce decree and need to get it from your attorney or the court. Its possible there was no support agreement. In which case you are off the hook until she wakes up and applies for support. Also, if she is getting public assistance the family services agency will go after you for support.

Dec 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
    Yes I went through a divorce but the court didn't say any thang about child support she lives with her parents and is on medicare also there is a restraining order on me the court said in order for visitation rights I had to go to domestic violence classes and angermeant

Dec 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
    I would talk to the family services agency where she lives. If she is getting medicare or other public assistance, then there is a strong likelihood that they will come after you to reimburse what they are paying out for YOUR kids. You want to head this off because if they have to come after you, it will not be pretty.

Dec 19, 2006, 11:15 AM
    They don't make it easy do they I mean if she wants child support shouldn't I get something in the mail say to call this number or send something back

Dec 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
    You are missing my point here. Apparently, in the divorce she didn't ask for support. If she was supporting herself then that would be the end of it, unless she filed for support later on (which she could do). In that case you would receive notice of a court hearing where support could be ordered.

But, if she is getting public assistance, that means the government is spending taxpayer money to support YOUR kids. Now I don't know about you, but I don't like my tax dollars going to support some kids the father has financially abandoned. The government doesn't much like it either. So they will go after you to recover the taxpayer dollars they spent on behalf of YOUR kids.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 08:22 PM
    What you were told was pretty much correct. That'd be the only way. And, as Scott's been telling you, any public assistance that your ex has been receiving on behalf of your kids you are going to have to reimburse.
    ADW76 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Most of the time child support is a whole different case than the divorce. I'm sure you will be served papers to go to court to determine support. I'm not trying to sound rude, but why don't you try to get visitation. Who cares if you have to go to anger management? Think about your kids!! So, many times I read on here about men wanting to sign over their rights so they don't have to pay. What is wrong with "some" of the men today? I can't imagine having a child and not wanting to support it. It makes me sick! So, with that being said... Please do what is right! Support YOUR kids.

Dec 22, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ADW76
    Most of the time child support is a whole different case than the divorce. I'm sure you will be served papers to go to court to determine support.
    Any official child support has to be court ordered. Its either part of the divorce agreement or may be part of a subsequent court action. A parent cannot be ordered to pay support without a court action.
    ADW76 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Well, that is how my proceedings went. We were divorced and then custody and support was a whole different issue.

Dec 23, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Not sure what you went through, but its not the usual way these things happen.
    alikat Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Why on earth would you want to sign away your rights to your children? You created them and you should be responsible for them.. you said that if you are still going to have to pay support why should you sign away your rights? So , obviously you just don't want:confused: the responsiblility of raising them.. Dont you think you should have thought about that before you created them?? For your information , you WOULD NOT have to pay child support once u waive your parental rights.. but what a burden for your children to live with knowing their own "daddy" didn't want them.. SHAME ON YOU!

Dec 23, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Any official child support has to be court ordered. Its either part of the divorce agreement or may be part of a subsequent court action. A parent cannot be ordered to pay support without a court action.
    A parent IS responsible for support once that child is born... It is YOUR responsibility to make sure the child is cared for... If you choose NOT to support that child, whether it be 1 month or 10 years the state will charge you for the amount of time that child was not supported.. If you are not ready to be a parent keep it in your PANTS!! :eek:
    calawmom Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Waterman82: ScottGem gives you good information, I just wanted to point out a couple of things. One is: it might not be true that where Waterman lives, or where his ex lives, termination of parental rights does not excuse you from paying child support. In some cases, depending on the type of proceeding, if parental rights are terminated, the state will NOT go after that parent for support. It is true that if the mother is receiving aid from the county they will seek reimbursement, but there may be reasons this has not happened yet. If there is a domestic violence restraining order in place in your case, Waterman82, you need to be VERY CAREFUL not to make any attempts to contact your ex, or send any messages through anyone else to her. Violation of a restraining order can have criminal consequences.

If you are going to be ordered to pay child support, you will be notified. Don't duck if you see a process server coming your way.

Dec 23, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat
    why on earth would you want to sign away your rights to your children?? you created them and you should be responsible for them..you said that if you are still going to have to pay support why should you sign away your rights?? so , obviously you just dont want:confused: the responsiblility of raising them..Dont you think you should of thought about that before you created them??? For your information , you WOULD NOT have to pay child support once u waive your parental rights..but what a burden for your children to live with knowing their own "daddy" didnt want them..SHAME ON YOU!
    I am not being abusive, I am just stating the facts. If someone were so adament about not wanting children , then he should have taken precautions so it would not happen.The children are the innocent victims here. My friend has a child whom decided to waive his parental rights, so therefor once you sign away your "right" to be that child's parent... you DO NOT have to pay support because you are no longer"legally" the parent... and needless to say, this young girl is now 16 years old and wonders every day why her daddy didn't want her.. All I am trying to say, is that you created this child, why not step up to the plate and be a parent, and maybe you will see this is the most rewarding thing inlife... walk away and someday you will regret it.
    Firearcher Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 11:02 AM
    In most cases the woman is the custodial parent and the father the one who pays support. It is a fact that more women ordered to pay support - default - than do men, yet the feminist movement has successfully and unfairly given the "deadbeat" label to dads. What the majority of women fail to understand is that most men want to pay support. The problem is that the ordered amounts are too high. I was a man abused by his wife who had to get away from her. The court awarded her everything including the children. 30% of my income goes to taxes and 40% to support. Which means I take home 30 cents for every dollar I earn. Which leaves not enough to cover rent and food. My ex's income has tripled since the divorce and she and my children live a great life. I on the other hand am considering waiving my parental rights simply because I may not have a choice. I need to eat to live and if I oblige the court order I will be dead from starvation in a matter of weeks. I'm sure many men paying support can relate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Question about a father who wants to sign over his parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about a fathers parental rights. Can a father request to the state to sign over his parental rights? I have a friend of mine that has a child that he has never seen - and lives in California while he lives here in Minnesota and pays child support. The mother refuses to allow...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is going to be three years old soon and her biological father has not been a constant in her life providing her with nothing emotionally or financially.My current partner is the only father she knows and has supported her.How can we get the biological father to sign over his rights?

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to...

View more questions Search