Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiny4me76 Posts: 45, Reputation: -1

Apr 12, 2010, 04:36 PM
    Snails on house and property
    Any ideas why some people get snails on their house and on their property. There everywhere outside. Ideas on how to get rid of them. Already put salt on some of them that were attached to the house. With a mix of salt and water. But it killing my grass... Help... Why does this happen. Nobody else seems to be having problems with snails.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 05:49 PM
    Why slugs are attracted to one house and not the other is an open question. Some will say it's random chance; others will say that the species of mildew on a house attracts or repels them.

There are two proven methods for getting rid of them. Both are fairly labor-intensive.

Poison baits are available to sprinkle in the yard and under the deck. Getting under the deck is the hard part in some cases.

Setting traps with container lids or pie pans with beer in them works well but is an every day chore.
    franz546 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Poison pellets from your garden supplier work great. If you don't want to use those, one more thing works well: put a small amount of beer in a shallow bowl & leave around the outside. The salt in the beer attracts the snails and they die in the bowl. Hate to waste beer but it works. Good luck.
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    tiny4me76 agrees : It's hard to believe beer works, but oh well, I don't drink it anyways. At this point I'll try anything that will work. Thanks...
    Snails and slugs are herbivorous. The odor of the hops in beer is very attractive to them. They crawl into the container to start feasting and the alcohol dehydrates them. It's actually faster than salt.

The downside is cleaning up the container lid or pie pan the next morning. Dehydrated slugs can be pretty gross.
    robynn1351 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 10:23 PM
    Duplicate posts deleted - Catsmine
    robynn1351 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 10:24 PM

Hello,

I have a hobby gardening site and have nine natural ways to get rid of garden snails and slugs which may interest you. There are photos and simple instructions for each solution.

Garden Snails

There are many different tips and some work better than others depending on your climate and the design of your garden to name just a couple. At this time of year you will need to have some clever ways to stop snails.

I really don't like commercial baits as they can cause death and / or illness in other innocent pets, birds and animals.

Please have a look and choose from the nine options and try to eliminate them in a sustainable way.

Kind regards
    Robyn
    (Gardener and Permaculturist)
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by robynn1351 View Post
    Hello,

I have a hobby gardening site and have nine natural ways to get rid of garden snails and slugs which may interest you. There are photos and simple instructions for each solution.

Garden Snails
    Decent information on your site, Robynn. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pond snails in aquarium. [ 10 Answers ]

I have a fresh water 29 gallon tank. Every 6 months or so I end up doing a complete water change and gravel change do to the pond snails taking over my tank. I have no snails for about 3 months then all of the sudden they show up again. How do I keep them from coming back? I have tried snail begone...

Raising and marketing snails [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to raise and care for snails on a commercial scale ?

Landlord and loose dog on leased property, doesn't property go with the lease house? [ 31 Answers ]

I lease a house that has a front yard and a backyard and a legal apartment off to the side. My landlord and his dog live in his apt in the garage that I do not think is legal. When we moved in he told us he would be moving in a few months. Before he moved he let his big german sheperd mix run...

Snails/Slugs everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have found that every night there are a lot of snails/slugs everywhere outside on the sidewalks and driveway. What can I do to get rid of them or make them go away. I hate having to watch every step I take when I am walking around at night. They are just gross looking and feeling when...

View more questions Search