Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karmakore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
    3 prong 240 volt dryer outlet
    While testing my 3 prong 240 volt dryer outlet I get 240 volts off the two "hot" leads but only 63 volts when individually testing a single "hot" lead with the neutral.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 01:21 PM
    Could be a broken or open neutral. Need to check all connections in this circuit, from the receptacle back to and including in the panel.
    karmakore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 04:08 PM

I have checked the power at the panel and everything checks out 240v on both hot leads and 120v on each leg when checked with neutral. So I will need to trace the neutral ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect 240V 3 prong motor to generator W/ 240 4 prong outlet? [ 6 Answers ]

As summarized, I'd like to run a 240 volt motor with 3 prong twistlock plug off my Generator that has a 240V 4 prong twistlock outlet, Have purchased a 4 prong dryer plug & cord. Not sure what function the extra lead performs, any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks...

Convert 4 prong 240 generator outlet to 3 prong [ 6 Answers ]

How do I make an extension cord from my 4 prong 240 twist generator outlet to a 3 prong 240 outlet for my radial arm saw?

How to change a 120 volt outlet to a 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240 volt, single phase, 3 wire, 10 amp, 60 hz battery charging system for a small electric car but have no 240 volt outlet. I do however have a 120 volt outlet. How can I change the 120 volt outlet to accommodate the 240 volts? I know I will have to get a new outlet, but I am asking about...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search