Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 07:44 PM

A dog with an ear infection is uncomfortable; his ear canals are sensitive. He shakes his head trying to get the debris and fluid out, and scratches his ears. The ears often become red and inflamed and develop an offensive odor. A black or yellowish discharge commonly occurs. Ear mites can cause several of these symptoms, including a black discharge, scratching, and head shaking. Ear mite infections generally occur most commonly in puppies. Ear mites in adult dogs occur most frequently after a puppy carrying mites is introduced into the household. Sometimes ear mites will create an environment within the ear canal which leads to a secondary infection with bacteria and yeast (fungus). By the time the dog is presented to the veterinarian, the mites may be gone, but a significant ear infection remains.

-By chance does your puppy have these symptoms as well?
    dmwittenhagen Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2010, 07:46 PM

Lol... id have a really sad son and husband on my hands lol

Apr 11, 2010, 07:48 PM

Nope none of those emily

Apr 11, 2010, 07:58 PM

She nibblin my chin lol
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:04 PM

Hmm,
    Is it her back legs or her front?

Apr 11, 2010, 08:12 PM

Her back!
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:21 PM

It could be Hip dysplasia but it do not think that would be it, your puppy is a little to young. When you touch her back legs does she pull them away? You could always try giving her a warm bath (If it is a pulled muscle or something like it this may help)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:23 PM

Its too early to tell test for Hip Dysplasia..

I still think its trama related. Hope I'm wrong.. and I hope its just the pup being silly..

If she has any issues with her legs, limit activity and moniter everything.

Apr 11, 2010, 09:04 PM

No she doesn't pull them away.. but isn't she still to young for a bath yet?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 09:05 PM

Nope! Just don't let her get chilled... Keep her wrapped up in a warm blanket and hold her until she's all the way dry.

Apr 11, 2010, 09:06 PM

I've been keeping close eye on her.. im hoping that there isn't damage from the mulling... the thing is I have no idea when it even happened! This is the bad thing about getting a puppy 3erd hand from someone but once I sen her ace I knew she was the dog for my son!

Apr 12, 2010, 09:54 PM

OK so I took jezzibell to the vet today and they took x-rays and said he hasn't ever seen anything like her case but based on what he could find she had something called valgus deformaty.. where her joints are undeveloped. And gave orders for strict bed rest for 2 weeks with exception of going to the bathroom. But what I wonder isn't this going to make her legs weaker if she doesn't use them? He was going to give her a calcium supplement but the smallest dose available is for a 20 pds dog and she is soooooooo not that big.. any thoughts? Thank god there isn't any permanent damage from the mulling of bigger dog!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwittenhagen View Post
    ok so i took jezzibell to the vet today and they took xrays and said he hasnt ever seen anything like her case but based on what he could find she had something called valgus deformaty..where her joints are undeveloped. and gave orders for strict bed rest for 2 wks with exception of goin to the bathroom. but what i wonder isnt this gonna make her legs weaker if she doesnt use them? he was gonna give her a calcium supplement but the smallest dose available is for a 20 pds dog and she is soooooooo not that big..any thoughts??Thank god there isnt any permenant damage from the mulling of bigger dog!!
    The bed rest is to give her joints time to develop without putting stress on them. The underlying structure (joints and bones) needs to strengthen before strengthening her muscles.

It's like building a frame to stretch canvas for a painting on. The framework needs to be able to handle the stress of the canvas being pulled tight. If it can't then the wood warps and the canvas doesn't fit correctly.

She is adorable. :)

Apr 12, 2010, 10:50 PM

I'm hoping that this works! And thanks.. her personality matches too
    Marriage Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 04:34 AM
    im hoping that this works!! and thanks..her personality matches too
    I hope it works, too. The next two weeks are going to be fun trying to keep Jezzibell quiet. :)

Please, keep us updated. If you have any other questions, ask away. :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 05:43 AM

That's good news! At least it is not something to bad! Good luck keeping her from walking :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 06:58 AM

Aww poor little gal! Sorry to hear that. Just like huimans, she can recover and live a long, happy, normal life!

Keep us posted! :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 12:03 PM

Calcium Sanoz Syrup is a calcium supplement specially for dogs.
    You buy it in 200ml bottles and give 2ml twice daily for a 3kg dog.

I am currently using this product.

It tastes sweet so the dog has no problem eating it mixed with their food.

I can only find a link to an Australian shopping site at the moment but I'm sure you could find it locally

Calcium Sandoz Syrup - Compare Prices and Deals, Shop & Buy Online in Australia at MyShopping.com.au

Apr 14, 2010, 12:32 AM

Thanks all yea she isn't liking obeying doctors orders too much (so much like my husband lol) she wants to be even friskier now then ever before lol but still likes being carried around lol
    Marriage Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:41 AM
    thanks all yea she isnt liking obeying drs orders to much (so much like my husband lol) she wants to be even friskier now then ever before lol but still likes being carried around lol
    At least at this age they sleep a lot. :)

I am glad you caught it this early in her development. I can't imagine trying to keep an older puppy calm for the length of time it would take them to heal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Numbness on right side of body and trouble walking [ 6 Answers ]

I woke up with numbness on the right side of my body and trouble walking. What could this be. I still have numbness days later

Pit mix having trouble walking [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4 yr old pit mix who suddenly began to have trouble walking, I mean big trouble. He doesn't even want to get up to eat. I am very worried and am just hoping for some king of advice before I take him in to the vet. His hind legs are the giving him a problem. I am wondering if he may have...

Walking puppy [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old mixed breed. He is English Bulldog, Pug, Beagle, and Sharpei. I love to walk so I took him with me for a 2 mile walk. I like to walk more than that, usually 4 miles at a time 3-4 times a week. I just don't know if that is good for him. I do work all day and he is at home...

Walking distance for puppy [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Can anyone help me. I have a 5 month old retriever and get conflicting answers to appropriate distances or length of times to walk my pup - from 2 miles to 5 minutes per month of his life. What is normal?

Puppy resistant to walking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy approximately 14 weeks old. He is resistant to walking. He doesn't seem to have any particular fears to anything, however he grabs the lead in his mouth, refuses to walk, won't leave the yard, etc. When I try to get him to go he becomes somewhat aggressive and tries to bite my feet,...

View more questions Search