Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmwittenhagen Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2010, 04:09 PM
    5 or 6 week puppy having trouble walking
    I have a 5-6 week old chihuahua/jack russell terrior mix puppy who just finished 3erd day of dewormer. But now since last night she has been having a hard time standing up.. almost like she is to weak to stand But is fine everywhere else she is eating and drinking and even playing with us but not standing or walking around very well. I do know that one of the other pups had both his legs broke after all the pups being mulled by a larger dog (which is how we got her) could this problem be a side effect from the dewormer or because she was infested so badly and she learned how to walk with that belly and now that its smaller she is having problems.. please help.. I don't have a lot of money for the vet BUT will if it means her be better we have had er a week now and totally in love with her
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 04:13 PM

WHY do you have a puppy if you don't have the money for a vet?
    Dewormers from department stores are DANGEROUS, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's causing the problems.

Take your dog to the vet.

Apr 11, 2010, 04:18 PM

I got the dewormer from the vet! Not the depatment store! And I plan to take her to vet tomorrow for this but was trying to get an idea from others!
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwittenhagen View Post
    i got the dewormer from the vet!! not the depatment store!! and i plan to take her to vet tomorrow for this but was trying to get an idea from others!
    What is the brand name of the dewormer?

Apr 11, 2010, 04:22 PM

Panacur it's a oral med.. she was to take it for 3 days then return to vet in 3 weeks for more.

Apr 11, 2010, 04:23 PM

She is a very small dog..
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 04:31 PM

I have heard of that brand, it's for puppies and under weight dogs right?

I would call your vet and ask about possible side effects. I have never heard of a reaction like that before, but anything could be possible, including an allergic reaction to the preservatives used in the de wormer.

I don't have many ideas except call your vet and tell them what is happening, better off safe than sorry right?
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 04:32 PM

Some dogs do not take Fenbendazole (Panacur) well. Why was the puppy put on this? We usually only use it really for things like giardia. For small pups we're more apt to use Strongid.

What is the puppy eating?

Apr 11, 2010, 04:39 PM

I guess she had all 3 types of worms and quite badly at that.. I have her drinking the puppy formula mixed with water and I have her on a mixutre of special blend (I think that's the name of it I bought it at pet store) soft and hard (softened) puppy food.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 04:46 PM

Ewww "Special blend" puppy food??

First of all... Get her on a good puppy food. 5 week old puppies can eat solid food just fine.

If your dog is having problems walking, it could be neurological thing from the attack. Puppies are tough, but not that tough!

I have never really heard of Panacur giving such bad side effects, but I'm sure its possible.

You need to talk to your vet. Sometimes vets will talk to you over the phone while the symptoms are happening. A lot of times the symptoms will disappear before you get the dog to the vet. But you really do need to get to the vet.

These problems could literally be anything. Its too hard to diagnose or even guess from a small post on the net.

Why do you own a 5-6 week old pup? It should be with its mom! I applaud you if it's a rescue!
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 04:48 PM

How do you know about the puppy chow? I just read the OP 3 times, but, am I missing something?
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 04:49 PM

Oops never mind, saw the dog food brand.

Apr 11, 2010, 04:50 PM

The mom abandoned the pups and there was a larger dog that attacked the pups I do know 2 were killed one had its legs broke and then there was jezzibell (our pup) we got er from someone else who took her from that home all in the same day. She was a easter gift for our son
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 04:52 PM

So if you've only had her about a week, these could be side effects from the attack. It could be internal. You really do need to get her to a doctor :(
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 04:53 PM

Worms don't effect dogs to the extent that you think they do.. Besides the hunger leveling out, dogs don't too much notice having worms vs not having worms...

Apr 11, 2010, 05:08 PM

I plan to take her tomorrow I was just hoping someone could give me a idea so that I don't worry so much nor my son. He was walking fine still wobbly but fine just the same before this medicine... thankfully her eating drinking pooping and peeing are fine as well as breathing which is better since meds plus she is alert and playful it's the walking and standing that worries the heck out of me!!
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 05:12 PM

Make sure to keep us posted on the outcome! All the best and good luck!
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Worms dont effect dogs to the extent that you think they do.. Besides the hunger leveling out, dogs dont too much notice having worms vs not having worms...
    That's not entirely true. Heavy burdens of worms have been known to kill puppies and make adults seriously ill and anemic (depending on type). Loaded with 3 types is kind of scary.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 05:23 PM

Yes Max was loaded when we first got him, he started eating rocks. Along with that he was dangerously under weight, he was not a happy puppy at all.

What happened to spell check?
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    That's not entirely true. Heavy burdens of worms have been known to kill puppies and make adults seriously ill and anemic (depending on type). Loaded with 3 types is kind of scary.
    Noooo lol.. Healthwise YES.. there is a difference...

The OP thought the puppy was adjusting to a smaller belly not full of worms. I don't really think dogs notice that part.

That's all I meant... I'm well aware that worms are no good.. Especially a belly full of them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Numbness on right side of body and trouble walking [ 6 Answers ]

I woke up with numbness on the right side of my body and trouble walking. What could this be. I still have numbness days later

Pit mix having trouble walking [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4 yr old pit mix who suddenly began to have trouble walking, I mean big trouble. He doesn't even want to get up to eat. I am very worried and am just hoping for some king of advice before I take him in to the vet. His hind legs are the giving him a problem. I am wondering if he may have...

Walking puppy [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old mixed breed. He is English Bulldog, Pug, Beagle, and Sharpei. I love to walk so I took him with me for a 2 mile walk. I like to walk more than that, usually 4 miles at a time 3-4 times a week. I just don't know if that is good for him. I do work all day and he is at home...

Walking distance for puppy [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Can anyone help me. I have a 5 month old retriever and get conflicting answers to appropriate distances or length of times to walk my pup - from 2 miles to 5 minutes per month of his life. What is normal?

Puppy resistant to walking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy approximately 14 weeks old. He is resistant to walking. He doesn't seem to have any particular fears to anything, however he grabs the lead in his mouth, refuses to walk, won't leave the yard, etc. When I try to get him to go he becomes somewhat aggressive and tries to bite my feet,...

View more questions Search