Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesj Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 07:41 PM
    Can you get infection from cat blood
    On Monday I took my cat to the vet. I was holding the cat while the vet was taking a blood sample. On withdrawing the needle containing blood sample the vet pricked my finger with the needle drawing blood. What should I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 07:45 PM

Did the vet wipe the spot with alcohol? Did you wash your hands? Is the cat sick?

Mar 31, 2010, 07:55 PM

Didn't wipe spot with alcohol. Washed hands with medical scrub wash. Cat is being treated for liver disease.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lesj View Post
    didnt wipe spot with alcohol. washed hands with medical scrub wash. cat is being treated for liver disease.
    Did the vet say anything? I'm guessing you will be fine. Cat conditions don't transfer to humans. Plus, I've had worse in me and on me, and am still alive.

Mar 31, 2010, 08:05 PM

Vet panicked and said did the cat scratch you. But it was the needle as I had a towel wrapped around the cat and she couldn't move. Was thinking would I need antitetanus shot or something.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 08:10 PM
    vet panicked and said did the cat scratch you. but it was the needle as i had a towel wrapped around the cat and she couldnt move. was thinking would i need antitetanus shot or something.
    I'll beep J_9 for advice. She's our resident RN.

Mar 31, 2010, 08:18 PM

OK
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 08:26 PM
    ok
    I'm not sure where she is or what she's doing, so she may not show up right away, but I know she will address your question when she comes onto this site.

Mar 31, 2010, 08:56 PM

OK
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 04:43 AM
    You may just have to get a tetanus shot. Most diseases animals get we don't get.

Apr 1, 2010, 11:31 AM

OK

Apr 3, 2010, 07:07 AM

OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat coughing blood [ 15 Answers ]

My cat that I dearly LOVE coughed up blood last night twice. She was very nathargic, wouldn't move and appeared to be dying. I wrapped her in a sheet and laid her beside me on the bed expecting her to be deceased this morning. About 1:30 am she starting moving a little bit. This morning she did...

Cat eye infection [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has a small patch of hair loss w/ a red rash over his eye. Someone told me that it looks like a yeast infection. Is it possible for them to get a yeast infection there? I was wondering if there were any home remedies for this?

Cat eye infection [ 2 Answers ]

I have a wild cat that had a litter of 4 and now 3 weeks later 3 of them have eye infections in one eye what can I do

Cat eye infection [ 1 Answers ]

I could not find the pet area to ask my question in. Sorry. Anyway my cat has what seems to be a eye infection. She is 11 or 12 years old. I took her to the vet and he gave me some drops to give her. Her eye was crusty for a few days, but then I noticed in certain lights her left eye is cloudy...

Cat Eye Infection Treatment [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 1/2 year old female cat has had an eye infection for a week. It was quite red, swollen, and had a clear discharge for a few days. By the time I could get her in to see the vet it had cleared up to the point where there was no discharge and much less swollen. The vet checked for abrasions...

View more questions Search