Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ellie86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 03:02 PM
    Why do guys verbally abuse women?
    Why is it that some men like to put women down? I'm a very attractive, smart, funny 23 year old girl with a good career. The last guy I dated verbally abused very badly and I don't understand why? After so many years its definitley taken its toll on myself esteem, but thankfully I got out of the situation and have since moved on. He too has moved on, and with a much less attractive girl, yet he treats her well... or so I hear? I don't understand why he treated me so horribly?
    pooja s27 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2010, 03:16 PM

Are you sure nothing went wrong in relationship?( I mean is it just because he don't wanted and nothing wrong from your end?)
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 03:19 PM

I don't think it's fair to generalize all men.

Sounds more like you haven't met the right guys.

A better question would be, why do you keep finding abusive men?

Take more time to get to know a person before entering a romantic relationship.
    Ellie86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 03:20 PM

No, I did everything for him.. anything to please him, so he wouldn't scream at me/put me down/ignore me.. I stood by him until I had enough
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 03:36 PM

Judging by your post,it sounds to me that he may have had an inferiority complex about you.

You say your smart attractive, good career, sense of humour,all the things perhaps he isn't.

He probably felt that he wasn't in control, hence the abuse, which can be a control thing.

Your well out of that situation, I feel it would only have compounded over the years.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 04:06 PM

You say that he has another girlfriend who he is treating better than you... That could end quickly. I wouldn't be too worried about what he's doing in his life. Chances are, he'll end up alone because he doesn't know how to treat and respect women. Trust me honey, you're not the first one he has been disrespectful to.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 04:15 PM

Wow, appearances sure are important to you huh?

"much less attractive girl"...

There is never any reason for a guy to be disrespectful to you. Regardless of how you look.

Simply do not allow it.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 04:54 PM
    'I Wish' asks a good question. It's actually not about how much you did for him, but why you did it.

People abuse others because they can. You allowed your ex to do it, so he did.

Abusive people need power and control and they get it by belittling others.
    They are very good at choosing 'victims' who are insecure, that doubt themselves and who want to do 'everything' to be liked/loved.

He treated you horribly because you allowed it.
    sunsandmoons Posts: 48, Reputation: 13

Mar 9, 2010, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan View Post
    Judging by your post,it sounds to me that he may have had an inferiority complex about you.

You say your smart attractive, good career, sense of humour,all the things perhaps he isn't.

He probably felt that he wasn't in control, hence the abuse, which can be a control thing.

Your well out of that situation, i feel it would only have compounded over the years.
    Dead on.

Ive seen many situations like this. The person in question would realise their partner is of high value and possibly even out of their reach, this feels threatening because their partner could pretty much leave at any point and find another due to his/her exceptional qualities. Therefore the person in question is actually self sabotaging themselves because their controlling behaviour pushes their partner further.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:07 PM

Okay, So I have a much different outlook on this whole situation...

You ask," I don't understand why he treated me so horribly?" Because YOU let him! Plain and simple!

First off, not ALL men act that way by treating women badly.. Also, not all women treat men badly... You just happen to have a man who ascted like that with you.

Yeah, you may be pretty, you may smart, you may have a good career, BUT, how were you with him?

You have to ask yourself, why is he so good to his new girlfriend and wasn't with you?

There are two sides to every story.

Why do you think it went wrong?

What were some of the things he said to you to put you down?
    sunsandmoons Posts: 48, Reputation: 13

Mar 9, 2010, 05:30 PM

Yeah I agree.

Its often, wah wah wah, why is he treating me so bad?

Unless the person has a history of being an abuser, he must have a reason for treating you bad.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 08:10 PM

When you allow bad behavior, expect more of it.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 11:01 PM

You've moved on you say,so don't worry about him anymore and don't worry about how he treats any present or future partners.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 05:05 AM

racquel58 agrees : I agree, though I have a stupid question- How do you disallow it?
    First by confronting it, and letting it be known it will not be tolerated, and taking the right actions against it, including removing yourself from the situation.

You just don't let someone treat you badly, because you love yourself too much and KNOW you deserve better so fight for it, and stand up for yourself.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 10:12 AM

So now we went from "all guys" to only one particular guy?

There are plenty of fish in the sea, why are you making yourself suffer by trapping yourself in the corner with one mean fish?

There are so many nicer fishes out there. You just need to go find them.

You've already broken up. He's not part of your life anymore, why are you still letting him run your life. Not everyone is like that.
    J. Sparks Posts: 69, Reputation: 15

Mar 13, 2010, 04:36 PM

It all boils down to chemistry. You mix different people together just like chemicals and you get different reactions. My last girlfriend was also very attractive and claimed the same. "I do everything to please you . . ." I told her "do it to please you not me, I'm already happy and that's why I'm with you". I guess she didn't understand and kept going much out of her way to continually please me but It just wasn't necessary. In the end it was like walking on egg shells.

My advice to you is please your man "sometimes" not all the time. He'll appreciate you a lot more and perhaps not take it for granted.
    volume10 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2010, 05:50 PM

It sounds like the reason why he treated you that way is, his intimidated about your features. You say your smart, very attractive 23 years old women. So he starts abusing you verbally to make you believe that you can't do better, and his the best thing that you can ever get. His insecure about himself and to make him feel better is to abuse you the best way he can, not physical but emotional. You said you did everything for him. And you even did your best to please him. And you stood by him till you had enough. That's the mistake you made. You gave him power over you, you didn't stand up for yourself, the more he abuse you the more your tend to be there for him, so what his thinking is its OK to treat you that way. You deserve someone better, learn from this life experience and just be happy that you weren't married with him. Next time you find a guy, get to know him and once your ready to get serious lay out some ground rules on what you expect from him in a relationship and vis versa. I was kind of in the same relationship as you were in. I did everything I can for my exgirlfriend. I ask nothing from her but to love me, but it seems like the more I do that, the more she complain that I could never do anything right. Yea it really did took myself esteem down cause she made it believe that I was the worst boyfriend she ever had. Instead of saying something I just keep trying harder and she complain even more, I was giving her power over me and I made her know that. You did that to you exbf and don't let that happen again. Be happy your no longer in that abusive relationship, and even though your heart might feel empty at this moment just think about how beautiful your life is going to be now that you don't have that virus in your life. Hope this helped GOOD LUCK!! We all need it
    coruzzi2 Posts: 86, Reputation: 7

Mar 13, 2010, 07:40 PM

It's a self esteem thing..
    My ex was the same way.
    This new girls not so attractive, so it doesn't apply.
    cordellpuss Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 05:54 AM

I was in the same situation few months ago! I am atractive have everything going on for me but,my exboyfriend still puts me down even thou I did everything for him.Just know it's not you it's him, low self esteem is what it is period.
    SunnyDuhLight Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 02:36 AM

A guy who I didn't date nor had any serious relations with, sent me awful texts about how ugly I am and how he was never attracted to me, that I was worthless, and need to get rid of acne. I know for a fact that I'm much brighter than he is, and way more attractive than him. I say this because I was not physically attracted to him too much (and sure there are better looking guys) but he had a quality I was attracted to. The things he said to me in those texts made me so sick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why is it Women we guys like, most times don't like us back? [ 94 Answers ]

Multiple threads merged We've been snail mailing for 1. 5 years and we've gotten closer. We mail often and I feel she's really nice. Even though I haven't met her or talked to her. But I feel like I like her, I even told her. But I don't know.. Even if she said yes, we live far away so it's...

Why do women go with older guys? [ 24 Answers ]

Can anyone shed some light?

Why do guys stand women up? [ 15 Answers ]

I haven't been dating very much - my last boyfriend was my first boyfriend and I haven't dated anyone since (eight years ago). I've been trying internet dating but I keep getting stood up on the second dates. I am a funny, intelligent, talented, if inexperienced 33 old women. What am I doing...

Do some women like the bigger guys? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a big guy. I would compare myself to Jack Black, maybe a little taller and bigger. I've always thought that women preferred guys who weren't overweight until I met a guy at work who is much bigger than I am and is married. I'd like to know what his secret is.

View more questions Search