Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Granni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 12:59 PM
    How to cut fiberglass tub surround
    We are installing the apron to a corner whirlpool tub, but it needs to be trimmed. What is the best way to trim fiberglass and what do we use? Thanks.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 01:07 PM

How much of a cut needs to be made. Your worst enemy in cutting it is vibration. That can caus spiderweb cracks to appear. How thick is the portion you want to cut through?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 03:34 PM

I mostly use a side grinder,with a very thin 'cut-off' blade,it's a small hand held grinder.

You can also use a Dremmel(sp) tool, spin cutting can go off line easily though.
    Granni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Can I use a table saw with a carbide tip blade... or another?
    I am cutting through a piece about 3/16" thick.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 03:46 PM
    This is a flat panel?

Yeah,I have used a table saw for things like this,namely 1/4" plexiglass,but even then,it wants to crack at the edges, like califdadof3 said,vibration is the enemy, making a smooth pass through the saw can work,but you have to take care not to hit the blade AFTER the cut,on it's up-stroke.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 30, 2010, 04:27 PM

Another method is to use a roto tool or a router. And clamp a board to the surface to act as your guide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where to caulk fiberglass shower surround seams [ 2 Answers ]

Our 27 year old apartment complex has fiberglass shower surrounds that become moldy at the seams. I have been advised that the seams are caulked in the back during installation so it is unnecessary to caulk the seams that show an obvious crack vertically at The corners or horizontally between the...

Cleaning a fiberglass tub surround [ 13 Answers ]

How do you clean cigarette smoke from a fiberglass tub surround? Thanks Leigh farrar

Trimming a Fiberglass Tub/Shower Surround to fit doorway [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to install a single piece tub/shower surround in my downstairs bathroom. I have two doors to go through. Both are 31". The tub surround says it is 30" but with a 1 1/4" nailing flange that puts it at 31 1/4. Can I trim the flange down by 1/2" without hurting the surround so that...

Fiberglass tub surround [ 1 Answers ]

Can I mount my single tap handle to the fiberglass tub surround if there is no precut holes for the set?and if so how would I go about doing so?

Painting outside of fiberglass tu/shower surround [ 8 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install glass bypass doors on a one piece fiberglass tub/shower and it is almond colored. I would like to paint the outside white to match the rest of the bathroom fixtures. Will white appliance paint work after lightly sanding and priming?

View more questions Search