Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 09:21 PM
    Side effects from Diet Coke
    I am 45 and while I'm somewhat overweight I work out regularly and am very healthy. I am in the habit of drinking one or two diet Coke's a day, and when I'm travelling can drink three or four.

I have noticed that when I am in my Diet Coke mode, I have a very difficult time walking down stairs and sometimes even just walking normally. It's like I'm 80 years old and I have arthritis. I went to an orthopedist who saw nothing wrong with my joints but I could barely walk.

I stopped drinking diet coke because I'd heard anecdotes about it causing people joint problems. In a very short time, the problem diminished. Within a week, it stopped. I did not change anything else. Then I was in a situation where I was away from home with limited food and drink options for a while, fell back into the Diet Coke habit and very soon my walking problem resumed. I could not walk down a staircase normally - I had to walk down a step with both feet before I could go down the next step rather than using one step per stair. Of course, I stopped using the product again - the problem went away and has not resumed.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience or if anyone knows of any science supporting a link between Diet Coke and joint and walking problems.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 10:57 PM

The aspartame (artificial sweetener) in Diet Coke is probably the culprit. Google that word to find out more.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 10:59 PM

Munch through this search:

nutrasweet neurological - Google Search
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 11:01 PM

Here's a good one:

Aspartame (Nutrasweet) Toxicity Information Center

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

Coke versus diet Coke in the gas tank [ 1 Answers ]

Depending on the source, some say that sugar in a gas tank will not cause any engine problems. Others say you'll need to replace the engine. That is quite a difference of opinion. I guess a why would be in order! Apparently since sugar will not dissolve in gas, the sugar will simply plug up the...

Do 2 day diet pills have side effects [ 2 Answers ]

Do 2 day diet pills give you dierra and do it make your stomach feel funny?

Song from diet coke ad with girl and barbershop [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of the song that is playing during the diet coke ad where a girl with long hair is looking into a barbershop window and decides to go in and get her hair cut very short? Its usually airs when the olympics are on. The ad has changed the lyrics and I don't remember the...

View more questions Search