Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandcrow Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 10:26 AM
    reporting inheritance for taxes
    I am trying to clear up what to report on my individual tax form from a recent inheritance from a parent. I directly inherited
    1 a teacher's pension fund lump sum settlement (I think it's considered like life insurance payout),
    2 a life insurance pay out,
    3 and an annuity cash out.
    everything else was left to the estate which I will be benefector of half.

I understand some things are not reported as income, and some things are. Which of these would I need to report on my income tax (form 1040, do not itemize)

Thanks
    sandcrow
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 10:42 AM
    SandCrow:

Run, don't walk, to a qualified tax professional.

There are too many variables here to determine which of the items are taxable and which are not.
    edtedt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 02:38 PM

Inherited 14,000 from mother's estate when her house was sold after her death. How do I file this on my taxes? There was no will, kids just split the sale of the home.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 02:48 PM

edtedt - you should not tack a new question onto an old one, but rather you should sart a new thread.

But to answer your question - you as the heir do not report anything on your taxes regarding your inheritance. However, since you sold the property, there may be a capital gain you need to report. If the proceeds from the sale that you received is greater than your cost basis in the house - which would be the fair market value of your portion of the house at the time of death of your mother - then you report the gain on Schedule D. If you have a loss, you do not report the sale at all (losses on personal property like this are not deductible). So first order of business is: find out what the fair market value of your mother's house was as of her date of death.
    kraheshop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Do I report inheritance on my 1040?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kraheshop View Post
    Do I report inheritance on my 1040?
    No - the federal government does not have an inheritance tax. However, some states do tax inheritances, so depending on where you live you may have to report it to your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

Reporting immigration fraud [ 3 Answers ]

If you know of Immigration fraud that is going on in Cincinnati Ohio can anyone tell me with whom I would report it to? I have tried various numbers and they are either disconnected or only computer voiced. Thx

Reporting sign on bonuses [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: If anyone can help me I would be so happy! Recently, I got a report from the IRS. I suppose I was audited for the year 2003 where I was in school full time working on a master's degree and received a sign on bonus for $30,000 to sign an employee 3-year contract for when I graduate. This...

Credit reporting [ 3 Answers ]

When someone is offered a settlement or you are negociating (sp) with a creditor or collection agency. Some say to try to get the creditor to put PAID IN FULL OR NEVER LATE OR no deal. How do you really know that they will abide by what they are saying, I know they can't be trusted. Do you wait...

Income taxes on inheritance [ 0 Answers ]

For Colorado and Federal Income taxes, do you have to report an inheritance and pay taxes on it?

View more questions Search