Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewehrman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Accounting treatment of grant money
    From an accounting perspective, how are SBIR grants treated. Should they be considered a revenue Item as you are receiving money for doing work?
    GrantGopher Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jan 30, 2008, 04:44 PM
    You must account for the income and expense of an SBIR grant. Grant income is considered income, I would suggest setting up a separate revenue account number to track grant income so it doesn't muddle up your other income.

I don't know what accounting software you're using; one example would be QuickBooks. That program allows you to set up classes. Many businesses use class accounting to track income and expense by departments, projects, etc. I've used classes to track grants. This allows you to keep your chart of accounts consistent, and then assign income and expense to a class (or in this case the SBIR grant). I might not have explained this clearly, so feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to clarify :)

Grant accounting, especially government grants, can get pretty complex. You can probably go to the granting agency's website and see if they have some accounting resources.
    vannwec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 01:08 PM
    I received copies of 1099-Misc for the state and my copy. There was no copy for federal. How do I enter this income? Do I skip the federal and just enter the amount on my state taxes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need free money ' Grant ' [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I would like to start my own towing buss , I have looked up all kinds of grants on line but they alwasys aks for a fee,and when I look them up on BBB they don't have any of them listed can someone help me please ?

Grant money for felons [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any resources that could provide a grant to a convicted felon (no jail time) to go to school to become a paralegal?

H1B holders tax on grant money [ 2 Answers ]

I am a part-time H1B visa holder, and am also an artist. I have received some grant money, but I am not sure if it's even legal to receive this type of money... outside of my legal H1B employment, I am not suppoese to earn moneny, but I was also told receiving money as "gift" is legal. Who should...

Grant Money [ 5 Answers ]

How can I find grant money without paying for a service from another site that I don't want? Ajsha

Accounting treatment for royalty payments [ 0 Answers ]

Company A pays a royalty to a non resident US based company based on $ per units sold. What is the appropriate treatment under current accounting standards?

View more questions Search