Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sturnbull Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 12:01 PM
    How do I shorten a cabinet in order to fit in a tall refrigerator
    I want to take off about 3/4 " from a kitchen cabinet to fit in a new/taller refrigerator. How do I do that and still keep the cabinet in tact?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2010, 12:27 PM

Depends on the skill of the person doing the work... and how the cabinet is built.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 03:23 PM

Probably cannot be done. The bottom rails of cabinets are usually about 1 1/2" wide. Removing 3/4" would leave enough material to support the bottom of the cabinet. Probably be best to remove cabinet from the wall and move it up 3/4".
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 04:26 PM

Remove cabinet from wall and cut top down 3/4''. Rebuild with glue and screws.

This will effect the size of doors and to keep revel the same of other cabinets, door will have to be cut also if possible.

The other alterative is to center doors on new opening.

Good luck

Chuck
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2010, 05:30 AM

Do you have the option of moving the other cabinets UP 3/4" on that wall?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 05:54 AM

We are having the same problem here, amazingly enough..

We are now in the process of buying a different fridge but are having the height problem too.

Today is purchase day(I hope),as I have asked the retailer to search for alternate heights for the new fridge,having no way to raise the cabinet,not a good idea to trim the bottom,removal of the top and rebuilding,then making the doors to size, not much of an option(if I don't have to,I would rather remove the wheels from the base of the unit,use furniture slides made for refrigerators and see if that would be enough for the clearance we need)
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2010, 08:47 AM

I had that too... but I have to the floor pantry cabinet and a panel to the floor on the other side of the fridge... I had to send that fridge back (an LG I really liked) and get a GE I liked less but was about 3/4" shorter... enough for the cabinet doors to clear the upper hinges. This was a three door refrigerator with the bottom freezer. Never anticipated this when I remodled the kitchen 12 years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to shorten your resume [ 13 Answers ]

How will you shorten your resume if it has 2-3 pages length. I want to better it into a shoter version. I really think all the stuff are necessary, I just happen to have done a lot in college. What is your suggestion? And does it really matter if my resume is that long? Thanks

I'm 1m70cm tall.How tall am I in feet and inches? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 23 and I'm 1m70 for 60kgs but I am the smallest among all the kids in my family.The youngest is 16 and she is 1m80 and 90kgs.Please help me I am trying to get a modelling agency and I need a little push up!!

How to shorten a Garden hose [ 2 Answers ]

I need a six foot garden hose for my fish tank and hose faucet hookup which is about 3 feet away from the tank. I use longer hoses and they just get crimped up and split open. Can you help me.

Need to shorten this phrase, any sugestions? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm getting a tattoo of a cross with a scroll around it and some artwork in the background but the main point I have is that on the scroll I'm getting the words "courage to change the things i can" written on it. I really like this quote but I don't think it will fit unless I get the tattoo really...

View more questions Search