Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spindoctor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 03:47 PM
    My cat is lethargic, what could be wrong?
    Hi, I have noticed over the last couple of days that my 12 year old cat is acting very lethargic, he is normally very active. I have also noticed that he only seems to be eating a very small amount of food & does not appear to be going to the toilet at all. Has anyone got any idea as to what may be the problem?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 13, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Hi Spindoctor,
    If your cat is neither eating nor using the litter box, you really should take him to a vet as soon as possible. It would be really difficult to say what is wrong, though given the age of your cat, renal difficulties could be a factor. If your cat's kidneys begin to shut down, he could suffer from uremia, which is extremely dangerous and damaging. Please try to have him checked out as soon as possible.
    Take care.
    yakki43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 20, 2010, 06:59 PM

My 5 year old Tabby cat(neutered) is usually very active. But lately he has become listless. He seems to eat OK
    He is an indoor-outdoor cat. I checked him for injuries and found none.
    mike4456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 24, 2011, 10:24 AM
    I would say you should kill it!
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Sep 25, 2011, 12:55 AM
    Obviously, not all the suggestions you get here should be followed, or even given the time to re-read.

Older animals will occasionally drive us crazy by breaking their routines for a day or so, for no apparent reason. But then again, if they have not returned to normal in a day, then a trip to the vet is well advised, especially with a cat. Cats need to have eaten at least every two days, as going longer with out eating can start liver problems. It doesn't have to be a full meal, just something.

But it is a change in behavior for an old guy, non the less, and worthy of investigating. Off to the vet when he opens, if at all possible.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 25, 2011, 12:14 PM
    Thread is five years old. Closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat vomits hairball then gets lethargic and limp [ 10 Answers ]

?My cat gets completely out of it after vomiting a fur ball. He has lost control of his bladder and pants and drools... his eyes dialate and he is just not himself. My daughter found him on his back with his mouth wide open - it is very frightening, and the vet can find nothing wrong with him. I...

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

What's wrong with my cat [ 1 Answers ]

My two year old cat came home one day and did nothing but sleep... for about a week. Didn't eat or drink anything for about five days. Had a little water on the fifth day.Didn't move. Didn't meow or respond at all. On the seventh day he got up and had some tuna and was fine for about twenty four...

View more questions Search