Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carrier58PAV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Carrier furnace error codes
    We have a Carrier 58PAV and the Red LED light is on. Furnace makes a high pitch noise when starting up.

We are having trouble understanding the directions provided in the manual to do the component test.

Instruction manual says to "To initiate the component test sequence shut OFF the room thermostat or disconnect the R thermostat lead. Briefly short the TEST terminal to the "Com 24V" terminal.
    What is the R thermostat lead? How do we test the terminal?Where is the terminal located? We took off the front panel and do not see any buttons resembling the diagram in the manual.
    The directions continue "Status LED will flash code and then turn ON the inducer motor.
    What is the flash code?"

We would like to troubleshoot this and do the test - and are not able to find the component or do the test that the manual suggest.

Lastly what does the read light mean? Should we not be using our heater at this time?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 12:13 PM

Basically, the component test will not run if the furnace is receiving any signal from the thermostat--that is what is meant by the first instruction. The simplest thing to do is just turn the thermostat to the "Off" position.

The board that contains the referenced terminals is probably located inside a metal box that is behind the blower motor access panel (i.e. the second of the two panels on the front of the furnace). Once you open the box, you should see something like the attached figure. I've highlighted the relevant items.

You then attach a wire to the COM/24V terminal and briefly touch it to the TEST terminal to initiate the test sequence. Each major component of the furnace will then operate for a few seconds so you can see what is not working properly. Once the test is done, the LED will flash out a 2-digit code (you count blinks) that can be used to determine what the furnace thinks is wrong. I've attached a pdf file that shows the codes for a model of Carrier furnace (not necessarily YOUR model, but it is all I had). There should be a sticker on the cover panels or in your manual with specific info.

Now, with all this said, I have to strongly warn you that if you aren't entirely confident in what you are doing, you can DAMAGE YOUR FURNACE by making a mistake. This diagnostic operation is not really designed for the homeowner to perform. Based on your questions, I respectfully suggest that you call a serviceman (after checking simple things like the filter being clogged). I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want you in over your head.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Error Codes.pdf (9.5 KB, 6526 views)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 12:30 PM

Nice job Wally:

You might get a couple of codes. Any you may get code 11 because that marks the end of the error list. They also may repeat.
    Irv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 12:27 PM
    [QUOTE=WallyHelps;1546516]Basically, the component test will not run if the furnace is receiving any signal from the thermostat...

Tnx, Wally. My furnace works sporatically -- but like taking your car to the shop, the intermittent things never fail while the mechanic is watching. Usually it's on a cold morning when nothing happens if I jump Red to White (although I do measure 26.4 v between the two) on the thermostat base. After maybe an hour the furnace will start and cycle on & off normally for the rest of the day.

My technician was just here for the spring A/C tuneup, and of course the furnace was working OK. But nothingat all happened when he jumped briefly to the TEST terminal, even after killing the 110vac power briefly first. If instead he held the jumper on for a while, then the LED would start a series of unending rapid blinks. While he had the cover off, he cleaned off the FLAME sensor. Furnace seems to work fine.

So our status now is 1) pray for an early spring here in Houston, 2) I'll count the LED flashes and report back to him the next time the furnace fails to start when the thermostat calls for heat.

Irv
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2010, 05:54 AM
    [QUOTE=Irv;2268297]
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyHelps View Post
    Basically, the component test will not run if the furnace is receiving any signal from the thermostat...

Tnx, Wally. My furnace works sporatically -- but like taking your car to the shop, the intermittent things never fail while the mechanic is watching. Usually it's on a cold morning when nothing happens if I jump Red to White (although I do measure 26.4 v between the two) on the thermostat base. After maybe an hour the furnace will start and cycle on & off normally for the rest of the day.

My technician was just here for the spring A/C tuneup, and of course the furnace was working OK. But nothingat all happened when he jumped briefly to the TEST terminal, even after killing the 110vac power briefly first. If instead he held the jumper on for a while, then the LED would start a series of unending rapid blinks. While he had the cover off, he cleaned off the FLAME sensor. Furnace seems to work fine.

So our status now is 1) pray for an early spring here in Houston, 2) I'll count the LED flashes and report back to him the next time the furnace fails to start when the thermostat calls for heat.

Irv
    The only thought I have is that you should check every connection to make sure it is tight. Unplug and re-plug the connectors on your control board and make sure all screw connections are good. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try.

Good luck,
    WallyH
    Studioart21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Working on a Carrier furnaces, and # 14 error flash code is flashing. Is there a way to get a detailed list of all error flash codes?
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2010, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Studioart21 View Post
    Working on a Carrier furnaces, and # 14 error flash code is flashing. Is there a way to get a detailed list of all error flash codes?
    You should probably open a new problem in order to get more visibility to your specific situation, but I've attached a label that shows the error codes here.

Good luck,
    WallyH
    Attached Images

rucky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Well, Wally H. your posting continues to help, years later.
    Today I used your chart to understand my "24" error code, that it was indicating a blown fuse. So I replaced the fuse for less than $2, instead of calling for pro service on a weekend. Really appreciate your generosity with your knowledge.
    John R.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Error Codes for a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 [ 7 Answers ]

Can I find the error codes to my furnace online? I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 model # 58wav070-12.

Carrier Weathermaker 8000 trouble codes? [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of troubld codes for my Carrier Weathermaker 8000? Thanks. Charley

Carrier furnace error code 33 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Carrier furnace that displays error code '33'. Carrier only provides the answer to service personnel. What does this code mean as my furnace keeps going out? -sincerely, getting cold.

Need codes for Edge thermostat heat pump carrier [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Carrier heat pump, comfort series that was installed five months ago. I want to confirm the settings in the thermostat are correct. The stat is EDGE programmable thermostat I don't want the owner's manual codes, but the one the dealer uses by holding on the fan button and getting...

Error codes [ 1 Answers ]

Hai I am not able to open my gmail mails.but I am able to log into my mail and see the page.when I click on it it loads on for some time and says.. Oops.. the system was unable to perform your operation(error code 008)... Please suggest me with a solution...

View more questions Search