Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    egshanks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 01:21 AM
    Does he hate me?
    My son is ten and appears to be going through a stage where everything I do is wrong he a even seems to hate me.He tells me to leave the room if I start to tell him off or locks the door so he doesn't have to listen to me.I'm at my wits end and don't know the best way to react.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2006, 01:49 AM
    He is 10 and has a lock on his door, why?

Unless there is a VERY valid reason, he should NOT have a lock on his door.

Just my opinion. You need to set boundaries and can't be too strict. Perhaps he is testing you.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Dec 13, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Most of the things going on in a child's life are out of their control. Children are under the control of their parents, and have little say on the who, what, where, when and why of things going on in the family. This kind of "bad" behaviour is one thing the child can do to get a level of control over you and your actions.

Children rebel against this, typically in their teen years, but it starts early and I think that is what you're seeing now.

You know your child best, but if I were in your shoes - I would establish that bad behaviour results in a loss of privileges. Continued bad behaviour means continued loss of privilege. The price of poker just goes up until that message gets through.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Just want to make this clear. It is very very unlikely that he actually hates you. He's just soliciting a response from you by behaving badly.
    scalz Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Aug 4, 2009, 12:00 AM

He's ten just leave him the alone
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 01:14 AM
    He may be rebelling, that makes sense, but at age 10, he needs a parent to step up and provide discipline.

It is okay to set limits and expectations for behaviour, and provide consequences if rules are broken. If you don't start now, you're going to have an out of control teenager on your hands.

There are also very good parenting classes in practically every community through the school system that might be worth asking about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hate myself [ 33 Answers ]

I'm so insicure about about everything I think I'm ugly fat and stupid and I just don't want to be around anymore I always think that everyone would be better off without me And that I'm just in the way of everyone I feel like my life is nothing but a big screw up And that I'm useless I...

Would they hate me? [ 14 Answers ]

I am gay. Nobody knows it. Don't know what will happen it I tell someone (freinds/family) Good chance my parents would kick me out. Also good chance that my & friends won't talk to me. Pleez respond...

I hate my hair [ 2 Answers ]

I have naturally red hair and as I have gotten older my hair has started to look more like strawberry blonde and very washed out. So this morning I decided to dye my hair - YUCK! What a mistake - I now have RED hair but very uneven, almost burgundy in some spots and I am afraid to go into the sun...

Don't you hate it when... [ 13 Answers ]

Don't you hate it when you have a friend that you enjoy hanging out with, but they are so insecure about their appearance, that they rip on every girl that walks by that is somewhat attractive (even ones that aren't at all) and can't stand it when a girl even says "hi" to her husband. It makes me...

WHY! Could he hate me now? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I'm abit depressed because there's this guy I know,and for a long time we've been friends.Not great friends by any means,but he's forever been friendly with me,and never gave me any reason to think he hated me.We chat occasionally,but in recent weeks he's been very withdrawn,and I haven't done...

View more questions Search