Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rooster56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 04:10 PM
    How does one test the capacitor or Verify a bad furnace blower motor?
    Carrier product 58pAV090 model # 58PAVO90-14 Series 161. Main blower needed cleaning bad and I did so. Now it appears that it won't cycle back on .At times the motor runs perfectly from start to finish and at both the cool and the heat cycling times.But not both. If I tape the switch and help the blower sometimes it goes.. sometimes not and it just sits and hums.It sometimes won't take off even when I help turn the cage to help it to go .I have been playing this game for 15 hours now.in Michigan .Help.. How does one verify a bad motor? Can one work perfectly and then not take off properly and then work perfectly again on one cycle.What I really think is wrong is possibly the capacitor.How do you check that ?
    Rooster56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 04:11 PM

Also it shows code 33 or cycles to 13
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 09:04 PM
    You can quick check a capacitor with an ohmmeter.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 10:56 PM
    While a OHM meter will give an indication as to weather or not a capacitor will deflect a charge a true capacitor tester is much more accurate. A small blower motor capacitor is cheap and easy to replace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Capacitor for Blower Motor [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C fan quit working and I tried to replace the capacitor first with no results. I then purchased the blower motor but it has 4 wires instead of the 3 that my old motor had. I have a black wire, yellow, and 2 browns. My old motor had black, yellow, and 1 brown. My old motor was wired into a...

Capacitor size change for blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

general electric motor, direct drive, 5uf cap First check: when heat exchanger reached temp, the relay clicked but the blower fan just hummed. The bearings seem OK as a slight push causes a rotation that continues for some time. Also, such a slight push causes it to run fine for the cycle. ...

Blower motor capacitor? [ 20 Answers ]

I've got a Lennox G12 series furnace and the blower seems to have stopped working. I read a few posts and saw a reply mention giving the fan a little push start while the burners kicked on. I did this and the blower started up. I can hear the "current" feeding the motor but it seems to be having...

View more questions Search