Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neomini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Chapter 802 of the Wisconsin Statutes
    How do you go about writing an answer, as that term is used in chapter 802 of the Wisconsin statutes?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neomini View Post
    How do you go about writing an answer, as that term is used in chapter 802 of the wisconsin statutes?
    Chapter 802 http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0802.pdf appears to be typical for writing answers. Would you like help drafting your answer?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 07:09 AM

Can you provide us with more information about your situation? Are you the plaintiff or the defendant? What are you trying to file an answer for?
    adianaj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Defendant
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adianaj View Post
    defendant
    Are you the person who originally posted the question? If so, why are you using two usernames?

We need more information before we can answer you. What type of a suit is this?

Mar 5, 2010, 08:39 AM

My landlord is going through a foreclosure on the property I am staying in and they served the residence with cout papers (me) and they are asking that I send a statement back to them within 20 days but I don't understand what I need to send back
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 08:48 AM
    my landlord is going through a forclosure on the property i am staying in and they served the residence with cout papers (me) and they are asking that i send a statement back to them within 20 days but i dont understand what i need to send back
    What does the paper say exactly? Perhaps they just want a statement from you informing the court that you notified the landlord of the foreclosure, or accepted service on their behalf.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 08:51 AM
    my landlord is going through a forclosure on the property i am staying in and they served the residence with cout papers (me) and they are asking that i send a statement back to them within 20 days but i dont understand what i need to send back
    You don't want to simply send your answer back to the plaintiff (your landlord). You want to file an answer with the clerk of court, and send a copy of that answer to the plaintiff (or plaintiff's attorney if there is one).

As to each numbered paragraph of the complaint, state whether you agree or deny. If you have something else which might constitute a defense (why plaintiff shouldn't be awarded what he/she is asking for), such as statute of limitations, etc. state that too.

Your answer has to be signed by you. Also include your mailing address.

On the original to be filed with the court, indicate that you have delivered (by mail, usually) a copy to the plaintiff.

Mar 5, 2010, 09:01 AM

How do I go about doing this I don't even know the first steps and anchor bank is the plaintiff
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 09:08 AM
    ... i dont even know the first steps ...

1. Learn how to read.

2. Read the above posts

3. Get yourself a printer.

4. Connect said printer to your computer.

5. Turn on the printer.

6. Put a piece of paper in the printer.

7. Start by copying word-for-word what it says at the top (caption) of the "piece of paper" (complaint, it's probably called) which they served on you. It should look something like this:

"In the _____ Court, State of Wisconsin

Anchor Bank, Plaintiff

v.

[your name], Defendant

Complaint
    ... "

Where it says "Complaint", type "Answer". Then there should be numbered paragraphs in the complaint. As to each one of them, in the same numbered order, type
    1. Admitted
    2. Denied
    3. Admtted
    ,and so forth, depending upon whether you agree or disagree with that paragraph.

Or, if the above steps are too difficult for you, find an attorney.

Mar 5, 2010, 09:26 AM

I understand that the bank is asking if I dispute the amount owed to them (the plantiff) from the lanlord not me is that correct you don't have to be so rude and inconsiderate that is unprofessional and ignorant of you
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 09:28 AM

I apologize for AK Lawyer's behavior. He seems to misunderstand the point of this site.

Honestly, I don't see why you would have to file any response seeing as you are not the plaintiff in the lawsuit. Did you accept service on the landlord's behalf?
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 09:36 AM
    i understand that the bank is asking if i dispute the amount owed to them (the plantiff) from the lanlord not me is that correct you dont have to be so rude and inconsiderate that is unprofessional and ignorant of you
    Ah. The bank enters the picture.

As to that question, the amount owed by the landlord, it's not something a tenant would normally know. As to that I'd either ignore the question or state that you deny for lack of sufficient information necessary to form a belief as to the truth of the matter asserted.

In the foreclosure action is the bank seeking to evict you as well?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 10:13 AM

You are the tenant, and not being sued, you are merely renting the property, you really don't have to do anything it is the landlord that is supposed to be answering the court as to the money that he owes them. It is common to serve a copy to the house in question also.

You may answer if you wish, telling them that you are renting the house and currently live there under a ( how many month) lease or on month to month rental.

This does not mean anything to them, but they will understand it is not the landowners property in the home

And in AK defense the original poster was appearing to be very dense about the questions asked and replys.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Who needs to learn to read? They clearly said their LANDLORD'S property was being foreclosed on.

You are astonishingly arrogant to be so incredibly rude to someone, and then not even offer an apology after doing the same thing you criticized them for.
    Ok. I'll apologize.

Adianaj hijacked a thread from nearly a year ago about how to plead. Contrary to what This8384 thinks, he/she didn't "clearly" say anything about what his/her problem is. But I will admit that I missed the references to "landlord" and "foreclosure", which should have been clues in that regard.

It appears that Adianaj may have been served in error. My theory, subject to modification when and if we get more information, is that the bank caused foreclosure papers to be served upon Adianaj as the person in possession of the premises. They probably have made multiple, shotgun services, just to be safe. This case doesn't have anythiing to do with Adianaj, which would be my guess.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    you are the tennant, and not being sued, you are merely renting the property, you really don't have to do anything it is the landlord that is supposed to be answering the court as to the money that he owes them. It is common to serve a copy to the house in question also.

You may answer if you wish, telling them that you are renting the house and currently live there under a ( how many month) lease or on month to month rental.

This does not mean anything to them, but they will understand it is not the landowners property in the home

And in AK defense the orginal poster was appearing to be very dense about the questions asked and replys.
    When someone doesn't understand the law, it does make them appear "very dense." That doesn't give us the right to insult them for trying to do the right thing but not knowing how.

If you asked me how to change the oil on your car and said, "I don't know the first steps," does that give me the right to insult you? Absolutely not.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Ok. I'll apologize.
    Still waiting...

Adianaj hijacked a thread from nearly a year ago about how to plead. Contrary to what This8384 thinks, he/she didn't "clearly" say anything about what his/her problem is. But I will admit that I missed the references to "landlord" and "foreclosure", which should have been clues in that regard.
    It wasn't hijacking; she found a similar question and mistakenly re-opened an old thread. I don't see how you missed two key pieces of information, then blame her for not "clearly" explaining.

It appears that Adianaj may have been served in error. My theory, subject to modification when and if we get more information, is that the bank caused foreclosure papers to be served upon Adianaj as the person in possession of the premises. They probably have made multiple, shotgun services, just to be safe. This case doesn't have anythiing to do with Adianaj, which would be my guess.
    It is not uncommon in the state of Wisconsin for process servers to serve the tenants when the house is being foreclosed on - I don't know how Alaska or Florida work. My assumption is that they assume s/he is going to inform the landlord of the summons, because they accepted service on their behalf.

My assumption is that they do not want adianaj to file a response but rather, the landlord, who is the actual defendant.
    Anniemarie35 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 06:13 AM
    I am the defendant in a foreclosure case

Jun 14, 2012, 06:14 AM
    I am the defendant in a foreclosure case. I was served the paperwork yesterday and informed that I have 20 days to respond with a written answer according to Chapter 802 of the WI statutes.

Jun 14, 2012, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    I apologize for AK Lawyer's behavior. He seems to misunderstand the point of this site.

Honestly, I don't see why you would have to file any response seeing as you are not the plaintiff in the lawsuit. Did you accept service on the landlord's behalf?
    I am the owner of the property. I was approved for a short sale however the property did not sell in the time frame allotted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Responding to a summons in terms of Wisconsin statutes chapter 802 [ 8 Answers ]

I have received a summons and I have 20 days to respond with a written answer in terms of the Wisconsin statutes in chapter 802. I have read chapter 802 and I don't understand still how to write the response. I have also called the court house and tried to talk to someone in the civil division and...

Statutes on theft [ 2 Answers ]

Our neighbor's son has worked for a company for 20 years. Recently it was discovered that he had been stealing from the company for about 9 years. She wants to ask how far they can go back in time for restitution purposes. Is there a limitation on how far the employer can go back to set a figure?

Statutes of limitation [ 7 Answers ]

Just wondering, I live in ontario, and recently after close to a decade a financial institution has sent a collection agency after me for a debt I paid a close to a decade ago. Its not for a lot of money, but I feel I should not pay anything. Now the collection has a law firm after me saying they...

Virginia L-T Statutes [ 4 Answers ]

:p VA residential tenants "may" have a lease relationship under the VRLTA - Virginia Residential Landlord Tenant Act - DEPENDING on the # of and type of residential rental units the property owner may own. If the rented residence is a SFR - single family residence - it is doubtful the VRLTA is...

View more questions Search