Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QUANTUM5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Carrier furnace 58sta flame sensor/no ignition
    I have a Carrier 58STA135 furnace. When asked for heat the little blower fan comes on for a minute then the gas turns on(can hear n smell it) but no pilot ignition. Tries for 3 times (per the code description) and goes into ignition lockout. Code 14 and 34. I'm not electrically proficient so are there some easy checks before I spend $$$ and wait 2 days with no heat?
    Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 10:39 AM
    If you do not know anything about electric and do not have a test meter you will be better served by calling a pro.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 11:12 AM

One question I have for you. When you hear the little fan come on and just before you smell the gas do you see a bright glow from your hot surface ignitor, if not this is probably your problem. Find the ignitor and use a flashlight to inspect it, do you see a white spot on it or what looks like a crack. If so again it needs to be replaced.

If you have to replace it ask here for help or you might have other problems.

Jan 30, 2010, 12:11 PM

No glow from ignitor, I will inspect it when I get home.
    Thanks

Jan 30, 2010, 07:41 PM

letmetellu YOU ARE AWESOME!! Yes, it was a simple cracked igniter and my neighbor had one. I owe both of you big time. You are an asset to the community for you graciousness. If I could buy you a drink I would, send me the bill!
    THANKS AGAIN,
    Dave
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 07:33 PM

All thanks are appriceated!
    mklano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 11:30 AM

I just started getting the same problem about two weeks ago. The heat stops about once a day. I figured out if I remove the metal panel that covers the electrical board and blower compartment, that the switch that opens when you remove the panel, is open, then you put the panel back on that the system starts up, the glow thing goes orange and the gas kicks on and the heat works. This will work, like I said, for about a day or so and then I need to do it all over again when it stops working again. I have code 34 as well. Any thoughts?
    zillacon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mklano View Post
    I just started getting the same problem about two weeks ago. The heat stops about once a day. I figured out if I remove the metal panel that covers the electrical board and blower compartment, that the switch that opens when you remove the panel, is open, then you put the panel back on that the system starts up, the glow thing goes orange and the gas kicks on and the heat works. This will work, like I said, for about a day or so and then I need to do it all over again when it stops working again. I have code 34 as well. Any thoughts?
    Sounds like it is your flame rod. Look into your furnace where the ignitor glows. On the opposite end of the burners you should have a small rod (about the thickness of a metal coat hanger) with porcelain sticking in front of the burners and has only one wire going to it. The wire is usually white or yellow. Remove that rod and clean it with fine sandpaper, plain steel wool or a scotch brite pad. That should be cleaned once a year. What happens is that it will get a fine film on it and won't sense the flame properly causing the board to lock out after a few tries and when you take the door off you reset the board and it will run until it locks out again. Hope this helps!
    mklano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2010, 07:08 AM
    I will check on it and let you know. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 flame sensor [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Carrier weather maker 8000 and have received error 34. I would like to find the flame sensor so that I may clean it but don't know what it looks like. I have surfed the site and am unable to find it. Can anybody help with this. Thank you in advance, TripleT

Carrier 58MSA, code 34, flame proving sensor? [ 7 Answers ]

Wanted to know if anyone could help me troubleshoot this problem.. This furnace will not fire up, basically what happens is the igniter lights up, but will shut down after a 5 seconds or so. It will do this three times until it goes into lock down mode for three hours, and then flashes code 34....

Furnace flame sensor ignition module ? [ 3 Answers ]

Seasons greetings, My church recently received a used furnace when the t stat calls for heat the ignitor starts to glow after about 30-40 sec. the furnace lights and then after a few seconds the burners go out we recently changed the ignition module which is a white rodgers 50e47-843 after this...

Carrier Furnace model 58STA fan only shuts off for 10 second intervals [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 year old Carrier Furnace, model 58STA had a, seemingly, routine cleaning and check recently. Prior to the service call it was running fine. I noticed that after the cleaning the burner would fire up then the blower would come on. The burner stays on for about 5 minutes then shuts down. ...

View more questions Search