Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjswanee Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2010, 02:17 PM
    Flame rollout switch bryant
    Hello, On Wednesday the furnace stopped heating (Bryant 90plus model 340MAV) . Checked error code. It said reset flame rollout switch. I did. Furnace worked fine for 2 days, then the same thing happened. I then replaced flame rollout switch with a new one. Furnace worked fine for 1 day, then it happened again. It has a new furnace filter in it and everything else appears to be operating fine. Any suggestions what to check next??

(I can keep it running by using a small fan to keep the area by the flame rollout switch a bit cooler, but I know there must be something wrong... )
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Are all the vents open,, supply and returns, Nothing blocking or covering them ,something is causing it to over heat,, can you check the main blower with a amp probe to see if its pulling the correct amount of amps and not to many. The fan could be running to slow

Feb 20, 2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks... nothing is blocked (supply / returns) and all vents are open. I will try to borrow an amp probe tomorrow, but main blower air volume feels the same as before...

(The furnace filter was filthy/plugged.. guess I forgot, but I replaced it Weds)

It does seem that the area where the sight glass is (heat exchanger / combustion chamber?) is extra warm... not sure if it is or why it is...
    bernie1951 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 03:51 PM

You need to check your vent (the pvcflue) for blockage. Also if it isn't sloped toward the furnace water could be building up in the exhaust.

Feb 26, 2010, 12:58 PM

No blockage found. No problem with draw from blower fan. Combustion chamber area is getting very hot (by rollout switch)... Could it be a blocked / plugged heat exchanger??
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 04:43 PM

The first thing I would check in this situation is the gas pressures. However, it is best to have this professionally done. If manifold pressure is to high, it will trip the rollout switch. Also, yes plugged heat exchanger can cause this, but you should be able to see the flames actually rolling out if this was the case. Cracked heat exchanger can also cause this problem, so I really think its time to get a pro in there to check your system. Good luck and please let us know what they find.
    GarageSaleJunky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 05:14 PM

My Carrier gas furnace has a similar problem but I was able to keep the furnace running my placing a wire jumper across the flame roll out switch. Can is problem be traced to the computer board, perhaps the 3A fuse which I haven't yet checked
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageSaleJunky View Post
    My Carrier gas furnace has a similar problem but I was able to keep the furnace running my placing a wire jumper across the flame roll out switch. Can is problem be traced to the computer board, perhaps the 3A fuse which I haven't yet checked

You need to make sure you have very good fire insurance, and even then when the fire marshall finds someone has jumpered a very important safety device in the furnave,, they just might no pay for the new home you will be needing

Feb 27, 2010, 08:27 AM

Blocked / clogged heat exchanger is the diagnosis (from 2 reputable fuirnace companies). There is a bulletin about my furnace... guess it's a common problem. These older Bryantc 90plus's are junk I guess!! Putting in a brand new Rheem 95plus 2 stage with modulating fan furnace today.

Thanks for the help!

PS - NEVER bypass the rollout switch... you are asking for trouble!!
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 05:55 PM

Pj, I think you made the right call going with a new furnace, hope you enjoy it and you get years of trouble free operation.

Feb 27, 2010, 06:01 PM

THANKS! New furnace is running great so far today. I'm just a bit scared of the "new technology"... hope it's problem free!
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 06:10 PM

Yep, technology has come a long way in furnaces in the last decade. I also hope its problem free, but with anything new these days, you just never know. The most important thing about having a new furnace installed, is knowing that it was installed by a company that will stand behind the product they sell. This way, if the unit has a glitch, you can be rest assured the installer will be there as quick as possible to remedy the problem. Ive had extremely good luck with rheems(very few callbacks). Once again, enjoy your new purchase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant furnace - must press manual rollout reset for burner to ignite [ 2 Answers ]

My Bryant 350MAV furnace is not working properly. While the blower is first running it flashes a code 12. Then the light goes on solid and the burner never ignites. If I hold the manual rollout reset button for 20 seconds the ignitor starts to glow and the burner ignites. What needs to be...

Comfortmaker open rollout switch error [ 1 Answers ]

I have a comformaker furnace and the heat will run for roughly 5 minutes and then shuts off with blower still running. I noticed the duct going up from the main unit is extremely hot (not sure if this is normal), but the light unit blinks 5 times which says "open rollout swith error"? What does...

Rollout limit switch? [ 2 Answers ]

I (trying to save myself money) tried to fix my furnace(carrier 9000) model. During the process I broke the rollout limit switch(mistaking it for the ignitor). I called local repair man he came out cleaned the ignitor/checked all the faults and so forth... but he didn't have any of the limit...

Bryant rollout switch [ 2 Answers ]

I've looked for the rollout switch and can't seem to find it or knows what it looks like I've read some of the ?'s and having the same problem it is blinking 3/3 so I changed the filter etc etc BUT WHERE IS THE ROLLOUT SWITHCH am I just blind any help

Brayant 80t furnace, 'Limit or flame rollout switch is open"? [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am new here and am having a furnace problem. As a new homeowner I would like to take a look at this myself before just grabbing the phone books. I have a Bryant 80t furnace. Built in 2000 and has been serviced every other year. Unit is clean and in good shape. Woke up to a cold house and...

View more questions Search