Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ijrich50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 07:44 PM
    How do I extend a 2 inch PVC shower drain to install new shower?
    I am remodeling a previously tiled shower and replacing with a prefab composite shower floor. The existing drain appears to be cemented into the slab. Will I have to break the slab and remove the existing drain or is there a "magic" adapter that I can use to extend the PVC in order to connect it to the new drain? I suspect I have already answered my question and I need to break the slab, cut the old PVC and glue a new 2 inch PVC extension to the old? Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Hi Ijrich50:

You answered your own question... no magic fix here... *UGH! You'll need to chop up the floor and then run a new pipe with a new PTRAP.

Are you planning to set the new shower floor in a bedding substrate of some kind? What do the instructions recommend? Let me know... O.K?

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What so I need to do to switch my 8 inch floor drain to a 2 in drain for shower basin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8 in. floor drain in my basement that sits about 6 inches below the rest. It is being used for a open shower and now I am wanting to put a porcelain shower base. Need to know what I needed to do. House was built in 1972

Proper shower pan install utilizing exsting basement shower drain [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a basement bathroom. I demo'd the shower and its tile to reveal rotted framing. I believe this is due to an improper or (more likely) not existent shower pan -- there was no water proof membrane between the tile/thinset and the framing. Can I build a proper shower pan...

Correct pvc shower drain for sterling #62040100 60" seated shower receptor [ 6 Answers ]

Has anyone installed a sterling 60" seated shower receptor with wall surrounds on a concrete slab. The new unit did not come with a shower drain. there is a hole in the bottom That is 3-5/16" (8.4cm) and it calls for a drilled hole in slab oor foundation of 4-1/2" (11.4cm). the old drain line...

Install PVC Adjustable/Flange Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I'm re-doing my bathroom. Tile guys ripped up the previous composite/fiberglass shower pan which will be replaced with a tiled and mortared pan. I'm not doing the pan construction but do need to have an adjustable shower drain installed for the shower pan guy to work around. My current...

A one inch offset for a shower drain? [ 2 Answers ]

I have removed the tile from by shower floor along with the drain. I then realized that the drain is not centered in the shower stall, it is off by one inch from center. The stall is on a concrete slab and the pipe is a 2" cast iron, I know they make off sets for toilets, but just wondering if...

View more questions Search