Ask
    oz1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Snowblower engine only runs with choke on
    Snowblower engine only runs with choke on
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 07:24 PM

Hey oz1 if this thing has been sitting for awhile ,probably will have to clean carb. Good give more information on how if there was a model #.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 08:42 PM

If you are not familiar with cleaning a carb or dumping the bowl just add 2 oz of Seafoam or other good carb cleaner to the tank and then let it run. It shpould help significantly
    shindiawa Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 07:57 AM

If this has a diapham type carb on it could be dryed up.if bowl type could be full of dryed sediment,
    oz1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 01:18 PM
    :)thanx for the advice folks!
    I went to autozone and got some carb cleaner and pulled the float bowl off and sprayed inside the carb and also the nut holding it in
    Lo and behold it fired up and runs OK. Good thing because I live just outside buffalo, ny and we got some snow last night
    Thanks again

Feb 26, 2010, 01:29 PM

DG seems to disagree but appears to be very much uninformed. Sea Foam Fuel Additive - Give Your Car Engine A Longer Life When a product says Carb cleaner on the can it may be safe to assume that it is in fact a carb cleaner. Thanks for the reddie, I see you have plenty of them yourself

Feb 26, 2010, 01:33 PM

ADDITVE .The only way to clean out a carb is to take it apart and clean it
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 01:37 PM

Hi Ballengerb1.
    Don't know what reddie a is but your welcome.
    I prefer not to put in any kind of cleaner in a known system that has old or bad fuel in it,I know ever one has there own thoughts and this is mine;
    If you put something in there its gone to break stuff loose and its going to clog ports or settle in the bottom of the bowl.
    If its in clean fuel I'm okay with that.
    Sorry I didn't agree with you no offence meant.
    Bye DG.

Feb 26, 2010, 02:54 PM

Don't know what a reddie is, double click on your name and scroll down your reputation, about half of yours are red. You and shindiawa are entitled to your opinion and personal preferences but the experts try to stick with factual answers. Seafoam does clean the inside of a carb. You may think its junk, not a good product or whatever but the fact remains, it is a carb cleaner.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 03:03 PM

I'll stick with experience.
    I never said it wasn't a cleaner.
    I said it wouln't clean out carbs.
    Thanks DG.

Feb 27, 2010, 11:32 AM

Your welcome oz1.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 11:58 AM

Okay Ballengerb1.Have a good one
    Puffery.DG
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 08:01 PM

Hi,
    Seafoam will actually clean carbs. It has its beginnings with outboatd motors, but is quite the darling with many motorcycle mechanics. A bit of searching will reveal the validity of my words.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 07:35 AM

So your telling me if I have a carb that's been sitting around on a mower for a few years,and has white dirty powder in the bowl,and will not start because the main fuel jet is plugged,if I put SEA FOAM in the fuel tank this will fix everything?
    Might help on a diapham type,

Mar 2, 2010, 11:02 AM

I'm done playing this game
    People disagree every day its no big deal..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman snowblower only runs with choke fully open [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 2 cycle snow blower that starts up fine but when I turn the choke off it dies. If I leave choke on it will stay running for a while (15 or 20 minutes) then will start to die out. If I press the primer button as it is dying it will prevent it from shutting off and will continue...

Onan riding mower - engine only runs on choke [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 16 hp sears (onan engine) riding mower - the carb has been rebuilt, the points changed, etc... it starts but only with full choke and then dies, if I try to release the choke it dies and will not start. Can anyone help out with this? What am I missing? Thanks

16 hp B&S - runs only w/ choke on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Toro Zero turn lawn mower w/ a 16 HP B&S engine. The engine will only run w/ the choke on. I have changed the fuel filter and put fresh gas in the tank. A search of the internet has not produced any trouble shooting ideas. The engine has about 600 hours on it. Any help?

Generator runs on choke only [ 2 Answers ]

I have a TroyBuilt generator with electric start. It starts reasonably easily when fully choked, but dies immediately if I push the choke over to run. It will remain running fully choked, but surges constantly. I've tried carburetor cleaner with no change. What should I do to fix this?

Craftsman 11 36 runs only on choke [ 1 Answers ]

I recently brought a riding mower Craftsman 11 36 but can only run it on choke. I cleaned the carburetor. I was going to replace the spark plug(not sure what size it takes and I can't read the number on the old plug). Any help getting this mower to run on any setting other than choke would be...

View more questions Search