Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geowscott Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 11:29 AM
    8hp tecumseh snowblower governor adjustment
    Question 2010-1-11 about adj 8hp Tecumseh governor. Answer "to adj governor loosen pinch bolt and rotate governor shaft ccw." Does this mean to loosen the arm with the throttle linkage or the bolt that is below the bolt that is below the pinch bolt that clamps to the flat shaft on the governor? I would think that the part that clamps to the flat govorner shaft would not change position unless the arm with the throttle linkage is changed. Gscott

Feb 16, 2010, 03:04 PM
    8hp tecumseh snowblower governor adjustment
    I am having a problem adjusting the governor. The question I sent today is restated for clarification:.. Does the answer to the question 2010-01-11 by (randy1212) mean to loosen screw attaching the arm connecting the throttle linkage to the governor or the bolt below the pinch bolt? I have only tightened the pinch bolt and repositioned the linkage arm. As I originally stated I do not see how loosening the pinch bolt allows the governor position to be changed since the pinch bolt clamps to the flat shaft on the governor.

Is the purpose of rotating the governor shaft counter-clockwise when repositioning the linkage arm to allow the shaft to rotate further counter-clockwise when the throttle control is moved to the lower speed. geowscott
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 05:41 PM

Hi,
    Here is a manual and lets try pg 38 to see if this is what you have.
    http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...nformation.pdf
    Peace,
    Clarke

Feb 24, 2010, 09:13 PM

I appreciate the answer from crigby on Feb 17. (I had problem with Adobe Reader so could not view answer referencing manual, pg 38 until fixed.) It appears that the governor I have is different from that previously discussed. I have the one with the linkage in fig 22, page 36. The linkage is clamped to a flat shaft extending from the governor. This being the case, I think one would set the throttle position to low. Hold the linkage position, loosen the screw, and rotate the shaft ccw. Then keeping the relative positions tighten the screw.

Would appreciate any comments to improve adjustment of the governor. geowscott
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 07:49 AM

Set throttle at WOT.
    Make sure it stays there , then rotate your gov. shaft.
    Good Luck

Feb 25, 2010, 08:34 AM

Hi,
    DG, he may not know that WOT is Wide Open Throttle. I do, but I have done it for over 37 years.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Feb 25, 2010, 01:18 PM

The answer from crigby to the question of 2010-01-11 on governor adjustment did state moving governor shaft ccw. This also must be due to the governor linkage he was addressing.

For the governor I have, when positioned at WOT, and youer you loosen screw wouldn't you rotate governor shaft cw instead of ccw. After tightening screw holding linkage to governor, moving throttle to low speed position rotates governor shaft ccw. This of course can't happen as shaft was adjusted to full ccw position.

I am just trying to get this straight and do thank you for the feedback. geowscott

Feb 25, 2010, 07:40 PM

Hi,
    No on a Tecuseh it is CCW since the governor is attached to the sump and the governor arm contacts it with that rotation.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ultra Murray Snowblower 8HP m-f2484020 [ 13 Answers ]

Hi I have a Ultra Murray snowblower Model # m-f2484020 8hp 24". I need a manual so I can get the belts to replace for the snowblower. Can you please help me, I just need the measurement or the part number for the belts.

How do you adjust the governor on a 8Hp tech snowblower? [ 1 Answers ]

I am pretty sure someone has messed with the governor on this 8hp tech. snowblower. It starts and idles up move it to wide open and it runs wild.. very wild.. how do you adjust it or am I looking in the wrong spot? Thanks..

Hmsk80 carb on tech 8hp snowblower leaks fuel [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hmsk80 carb on a tech snowblower that I have had apart 5 times and cleaned it with ulrasonic cleaner and soaked it in carb cleaner put in a carb kit complete needle and seat float all that put it together and after a few min gas is running out of the throat. I have changed the float...

Working on old snowblower with a Tecumseh engine [ 4 Answers ]

The HP is no more than 3 or 3.5. It has a horizontal shaft and a diaphram carb, I had problems with the carb flooding so I rebuilt the carb. The gas tank is slightly rusty inside. I managed to get the engine running smoothly and put it in the shed. About 2 weeks later, it started right away....

How to adjust governor on older 8HP Briggs and Stratton mower motor [ 1 Answers ]

I had to dismantle two engines to make one. Have forgotten how to adjust governor. I have fully closed buttefly in carby, and turned governor actuating lever fully anti-clockwise before re-tightening clamp on governor arm. Is this right or wrong?

View more questions Search