Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwarn Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 08:40 AM
    My computer can't download anything
    I deleted some files on my computer and installed Office 2007. Now I get files that are numbers and letters all over the place. When I try to get into any exe program it says that "windows cannot open this file: rundll.exe or fstrui.exe, etc.. etc.. Then it says to "Use the Web or Select from the program list".I can get online but whenever I try to download it says it is an unknown file and when I "select from a list" it takes me to that program... but doesn't load. I am frustrated. Short of tossing the computer, I am at wits end. On startup it loads windows properly. I wanted to restore, but I was getting messages as above and unable to restore from CD. H-E-L-P...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 08:47 AM

When you deleted the files did you send them to the trash can? If you haven't cleared it then you can recover (restore) from it to get the files back.

Feb 21, 2010, 06:30 PM

I don't know if they were in there or not... but I restored all the trash back and am now waiting for my computer to update before it turns off. I am hoping that they are in there when I turn it back on. Hopefully they will be...
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 09:27 PM

Is this for any exe file you try to start or just a few

If all, check below to see if can get the exe file associations back
    What version windows?

Xp
    EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

When you run an .exe file on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program

Feb 22, 2010, 07:49 AM

Its on all my programs that I want to start. Excel comes up when windows is started, as if it is in the startup. Then, when I click on any icon, I get cannot start because of the rundll.exe file. It tells me to go to the web or find it in my programs. But, the web tells me the file is not found. I cannot load or download anything because my computer won't allow it.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 09:22 AM

What version of windows?

Feb 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Thank U
    How do I send back a Thank U to the person who helped solve a problem with my computer?

Feb 22, 2010, 12:28 PM

I have windows xp version 2002. I was able to pull up my programs but then went in with system mechanix and deleted things in the registry and now when I try to pull up a program it says "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel". Did I delete all of the wrong files. Can I do a system restore which would solve all my problems. But, when I put the disc in to do that... I get the above also. I have not turned off the computer to save any of this... is there a way to go back...
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 02:58 PM

Now you can do a system restore back to before running system mechanic and you should be fine.

With system mechanic, there should be an option that checks file associations, if you choose to do the restore and all is well (should be) and you want to run sys mechanic again, look for the option that checks file associations and uncheck (don't let system mechanic check and/or repair associations)

So the restore should work out find for you or you can leave the way it is now and use the app above to re-associate the associations for you

EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Open the zip file and extract the xp_exe_fix.reg file to a folder and run the .reg file and say OK 2 times - this should also fice it but you try either way and if 2nd option does not work - you still can always do the system restore.

Personally would do the system restore and if for some reason there is still an issue with .exe files, use the file above to make the reg fix.

Feb 22, 2010, 05:00 PM

How do I do a system restore...
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 08:15 PM

See if this works first
    Start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore
    -When open up, choose next to choose another restore point and then choose the date/time that you know when everything worked and click OK, next and follow instructions on screen

(if it does not let you open restoreas an .exe file, then would try to use command prompt)

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
    To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
    2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
    3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
    4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
    5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
    6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
    After restored, just go back and look through some things mentioned early and if working again and questions, I will try to help if I can.

Start with the restore process and hope that gets you back on right track

Feb 22, 2010, 08:39 PM

Thanks for all your help. I am restoring to the earliest point that I can go back to which is Jan 7. I had restored earlier to Jan 21 but kept getting a windows installer that wasn't complete. Hopefully, this date will work. How do I get back to u without an answer from u posted? Thanks again...
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 10:13 PM

I check a few times a day for replies to posts, so if you reply in this post, I will be able to see you replied and if you click on my name you will have the option to send private message and that will pop up also if/when I log on.

As mentioned, will try to help if possible

Feb 22, 2010, 11:04 PM

Thanks... I now am getting a setup error message... "Controller has encountered a problem during install. Please review the log files for further info on the error". I can't view any log files when I click OK. Then when I go to open a program I get "Windows Installer" that won't install. I now can't remove Ofc 2007. In add and remove programs. When I click to remove it looks like its going to work but won't remove.
    Should I just try to do a complete recovery? I restored my recycle bin but I haven't gone in and used the system mechanic because I think that goofed my files up by deleting some things that I shouldn't have the last time I restored.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 11:36 PM

So you did restore to the jan 7th and system was working?

Or You won't be able to uninstall office as it was not installed at the time of jan 7th, so the files are there but the system does not know how to do what you are trying because on the 7th office was not there.

What you need to do is to download and run Windows Installer cleanup

Windows Installer Cleanup

Download windows installer cleanup, open app and go down list till you see All Office Related software and hightlight one and then click remove,(do this for all office stuff) this will remove any installer info left behind by programs removed from system.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe

Once office products are removed with app above, you can now go to where office is installed and just delete the office folders, files and shortcuts.

Now download CCleaner, install and run and in settings, just check to make sure there is nothing there that checks file associations and run the app and let if 'fix' whatever it finds.

CCleaner - Home

At this point, you should be OK with windows and there will be no office on the computer.

Now what you do need to know is that anything you installed or changed after Jan 7 will not be recognized properly as is not in the registry as of the 7th (anything you added since that date, you could reinstall and it should install over what is there and add the registry entries it needs to run)

From here you should be OK

Feb 23, 2010, 08:56 AM

OK... now after I run windows installer cleanup and click on it to Open in my program files.. it says "windows installer" preparing to install and then after a few seconds it goes away.. but does nothing...
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2010, 10:58 AM

Install below for what SP you may be running, this should fix the windows installer

You did not mention if you have service packs installed

If not SP2
    Download details: Windows Installer 3.0 Redistributable

If SP2 or later
    Download details: Windows Installer 4.5

There may be one point as you did mention that you may consider reinstalling from scratch, just make sure you backup all your important and/or files/folders and save them somewhere so if you do a format and recovery, you don't lose any important files

How to Format Drive and Install Windows from Scratch
    Geek to Live: How to format your hard drive and install Windows XP from scratch - Feature - Lifehacker

Feb 23, 2010, 11:10 AM

I am going to install windows from scratch... if I can..
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2010, 05:43 PM

Make sure to save your information/files/data before reinstall if possible

And of course, after reinstall, go to windows update and get what is offered and may have to go to update a couple of times to get them all as some updates need previous updates to install

So update, let it restart, run update again, etc.. Till no updates left to do

Feb 23, 2010, 08:01 PM

I am unable to boot up to restore. It will not acknowledge my recovery disc or F11 or F8. I can F2 and get into the setup but don't know what to do
    From there...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer won't download [ 3 Answers ]

My computer will not let me download anything. It says the security will not let it, (do not understand) did not change anything in settings, and was downloading things before help

I cannot download anything on my computer! [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to download the lates itunes on my computer, but my computer won't let me. It says I need Windows XP, but I have that already. I think it's because my computer is quite old and has a celeron processor. I also didn't have it connected to the internet for about a year last year, so I...

Computer does not download anything [ 2 Answers ]

Computer does not download

Computer will not download anything. [ 1 Answers ]

My computer is being wonky. Ok, so I'm not really good a computers... but, I cannot download anything at all! I try to download, and it gives me the option of "save" or "run" (usually) and I usually click run. It downloads, really fast, but then the box goes away and nothing happens. I use Windows...

Computer won't let me download [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I try to download something, like Java or spyware, or anything like that, a box pops up, kind of like the box that pops up on internet explorer and it says what an error has occures and tells me to try again later and send error report. Please help I can't listen to music or watch...

View more questions Search