Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostinbama1960 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 05:44 PM
    I lost my job and I have a 401K will I have to pay a penalty
    I lost my job and made very good money, separated from my wife whom practically gets all my retirement from military, I have no other source of income right now, broke except for my 401k, I have a house in another state which I'll lose money on selling right now and my wife has our home in TN which has about 50,000 or more in equity in which she is requesting the house in the divorce, I have my 401k and what money I have left in the bank is going quickly, I have no other source of income. Can I do a loan against my 401k to avoid the penalities or do they have some sort of hardship. I'm going to have to pay taxes as well I'm kind of screwed every which way. Help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2010, 05:46 PM

Do a loan!

Feb 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Do a loan!
    How does one do a loan on a 401k?

Feb 22, 2010, 06:07 PM
    Whoops sorry, I forgot you lost the job. In that case a loan is off the table. You can get a distribution But you will have to pay the 10% penalty plus any taxes due on the distribution.

Feb 22, 2010, 06:12 PM

Someone told me if I took money to pay my mortgage to survive it would be a hardship distribution and I wouldn't have a penalty is that true?

Feb 22, 2010, 06:16 PM

If you use the money to forestall a foreclosure it does qualify as a hardship. Some plans do not permit withdrawals except for hardship. But qualifying for a hardship withdrawal, doesn't usually get you out of the 10% penalty.

Feb 22, 2010, 06:32 PM

So I'll have to pay a 10% penalty if I take a hardship withdrawal to pay my mortgage.

Feb 22, 2010, 06:34 PM
    Any other suggestions as to what I could do? Taking money from my 401K seems to be my only option for me to survive. And you know how much unemployment pays not much not enough to pay my bills unfortunately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Lost My Job & I Can't Pay My Debt [ 10 Answers ]

Im unemplyoyed with over $60,000 in debt, 2 mortgages. My question is if nothing is paid and they take me to court, what's going to happen? There is no money to take from me... no assets... WHAT IS THE JUDGE GOING TO DO TO ME?? THANKS!:confused:

401k penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I am 36 years old and have $24,000 in a traditional IRA that I rolled over from a 401k account. I need to pay down some debt and am wondering what kind of costs including penalties I will have if I use all the money to pay debts. The purpose of all this is to get away from several monthly...

Tax penalty to take 401k to pay off house [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Is there a tax penalty if you take 1/3 of your 401k to pay off your home loan?

401k penalty [ 2 Answers ]

First time homebuying classifies for the non pentalty right? How do they tax, before you receive it or add it to your yearly income come tax time.

View more questions Search