Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 04:26 PM
    Too many squirrels
    If I use the hot/black pepper/water method and spray around pretty much everything, will they eventually stop coming into my yard?

They are driving me crazy with the digging in my pots and they are taunting my dogs sitting in front of the patio door and just flipping their tails. I am afraid that one of them might catch one.

I've never really had this problem before and it's just getting very annoying.

I'm planning on buying nails to pound in on top of the fence for the possums, (they run the top of the fence, very balanced) maybe that would help with the squirrels?
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 3, 2010, 05:14 PM

Squirrels do love to torment dogs. No matter what, the squirrels will think of a way to tease and taunt the dogs, they always do. I'm not sure there is anything you could do to deter them. The squirrel will try to conquer any obstacle. What trouble are the opposums getting into? I think they are very cute and I love all wildlife... though I don't like them digging in my garden or eating my vegetables and flowers, unless they are song birds :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 05:35 PM

J.D. I'm sorry that you are having a problem with squirrels. I came here originally because of a flying squirrel problem that I had. There are several ways to deter them. A fake owl may help. Fake snakes work well too. You have to move them around every day or so. Here is a site that has repellants: http://www.critter-repellent.com/squ...-repellant.php

We (I) eat them, so a .22 caliber works well too. But I know that you probably won't do that. I only kill what I eat, so please don't attack me for being a hunter.

Good luck, and be persistent.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 09:15 AM
    I was hoping for less expensive, maybe something I could make myself. I had read that 'Critter Ridder' was mainly black pepper, and now that vegetable season is coming up, I was hoping to get rid of most before planting.

I think there might only be a couple, but they feel that they belong on the patio. They have also ripped apart a rug that I had out there drying.

Feb 4, 2010, 09:29 AM

I've not been able to find anything that works for very long. The squirrels love to come in the yard and they are destructive! Too bad more of us don't eat them ;). Last spring I thought maybe they'd dig up fewer of my flowers if I started them inside. At least that way, I knew they wouldn't be digging for seeds~ which I know they love to do. I've seen them come and dig up all the seeds I plant. So I started a bunch of seeds in the house and waited till I had little plants to put in the garden instead of seeds. So instead of digging up my seeds and eating them, the squirrels chewed on the stems of the plants! So, I plant a lot and, luckily, some make it. Not so lucky, my dogs occasionally catch a squirrel.

If you find something that works, let me know!
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Feb 4, 2010, 09:02 PM
    Maybe your just using the wrong pepper...

ehow.com_homemade-squirrel-repellent

Try adding a little Murphy's oil soap to it after it cools.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    Maybe your just using the wrong pepper.......

ehow.com_homemade-squirrel-repellent

Try adding a little Murphy's oil soap to it after it cools.
    I'm printing that out as I type, what does the Murphys do?

If I spray it also around my patio, do you think they will stay away and stop tormenting the pups? Bingo is only twice the size of a squirrel and I'm sure the squirrel will win.:rolleyes:

One ran between my feet today trying to get away from the pups and I could have easily hurt it, but didn't have the heart, no matter how annoying.:(

Can't do anything at this point... expecting more rain, but after, I might just walk around and spray everything to see what happens. They have been digging in my Roses and Palms, don't know what they expect to find.

My mouth is burning just thinking about making that concoction.:eek:

Feb 5, 2010, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I'm printing that out as I type, what does the Murphys do?
    It is a potassium based surfactant, that means it soaks in. You could also try adding insecticidal soaps to the witches brew for the same effect, but Murphy's cheaper.

If I spray it also around my patio, do you think they will stay away and stop tormenting the pups? Bingo is only twice the size of a squirrel and I'm sure the squirrel will win.:rolleyes:
    You might be able to train them (The squirrels), but I fear they will just learn to jump over your perimeter.

One ran between my feet today trying to get away from the pups and I could have easily hurt it, but didn't have the heart, no matter how annoying.:(
    St. Francis would be proud of you. eddie sez........You should be nominated for sainthood also.

Can't do anything at this point...expecting more rain, but after, I might just walk around and spray everything to see what happens. They have been digging in my Roses and Palms, don't know what they expect to find.
    Shrubs and garden bulbs can be protected by spraying with a commercial repellent, nicotine sulfate (insecticide), or homemade preparations of one teaspoon of Lysol or three ounces of Epsom salts added to one gallon of water. These sprays must be repeated frequently as new growth and rains reduce their effectiveness.

My mouth is burning just thinking about making that concoction.:eek:
    Always wear hand, and eye protection, and remember to never go to your eyes when handling.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 08:47 PM
    I made it and put it in a spray bottle:) Tomorrow I will spray it around. All day today, I saw no squirrels. Maybe they know that I have made something:confused::eek:

Feb 8, 2010, 02:06 PM

They probably do, but that won't stop them
    See:
    Mission Impossible Squirrel | Pet Videos

Be careful of your eyes if it is windy or breezy.

Feb 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
    See:

Hilarious!
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 06:55 PM
    See:

That's just really funny and sick at the same time:eek::D
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 06:58 PM
    I did see one avert to the birch tree instead of the palm that I had sprayed.:) I will spray everything again tomorrow, since it rained. I think the stuff is so hot, that it is slowly seeping through the bottle.:eek: There are no cracks or holes, yet there is still leakage after about 12 hours.

I need to make sure I don't put it any where near the dogs or something they might get into.:eek::)
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 10:19 PM

JD... I know that when planting things such as butternut. (if they are digging up the bulbs or nuts you can coat the "seed" in baking soda and it seems to deter them. My botany teacher uses wire mesh under the soil in his gardens, it allows the plants to grow up but allows the little critters to be stopped from going down. Though chewing right on the plant stems.. that I do not know how to prevent
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 11:28 PM

Lol KUXJ that he is. I would have never thought of it until he mentioned it
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    JD... i know that when planting things such as butternut. (if they are digging up the bulbs or nuts you can coat the "seed" in baking soda and it seems to deter them. my botany teacher uses wire mesh under the soil in his gardens, it allows the plants to grow up but allows the little critters to be stopped from going down. though chewing right on the plant stems.. that i do not know how to prevent
    I didn't have wire mesh, but I did buy bird netting for my fruits and I put that over my planters and so far the squirrels haven't dug in the planters.:) But I think they are pissed, there could be some squirrel revenge coming soon.:eek:
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 10:45 AM

*giggles* OOOOOO attack of the squirrels lol
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
    The bird netting is working, I have seen evidence of them trying to dig, but looks as if they gave up. Now I need to figure out a way to put it on my round plastic pots:)
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 09:04 AM

Maybe little posts woven through the birdnetting.. that might help? Glad its working hun
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
    I will try threading some bamboo through the round pots and see what happens.
    Right now I have broken up a bunch of bamboo and stuck it in the front of my raised beds.. in a line (like a fence) these are the ones the squirrels are NOT bothering) My Coogle is deciding it's a great place to take a nap in the sun. Nice warm dirt with mesh over the top. He won't want to go past the bamboo, too much trouble:rolleyes:

Squirrels and dogs, what is a gardener to do?:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squirrels and pistachios [ 14 Answers ]

I have a smallish bag of unsalted, unshelled roasted pistachios. I've eaten the ones that were easy to open. Would the squirrels be strong enough to open the hard-to-open ones if I put them out in the back yard? (And do I feel stoopid asking this question?)

Squirrels getting into attic [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, we have squirrels getting into our attic. My husband has repaired their holes several times and they just chew a hole in another place in the eave of the house. They have chewed our phone line into. Now one has tried to chew their way into the ceiling of one of the guess bedrooms. We bought...

Hunting squirrels in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know if you need a hunting license to shoot squirrels in NYS - ? I can find nothing definitive. I am not talking about pest control (although I suppose the shooter could argue that shooting them is, in fact, pest control and not "sport") but just someone out in the backyard,...

Squirrels getting into Attic [ 2 Answers ]

I have squirrels getting into our attic. They are entering in a venting hole that is very high on the eave of the house. I cannot get to the spot in the attic nor can I reach the spot where they are entering from the ground, however, I can see the place where they are entering from the ground. I...

Watch out for squirrels [ 3 Answers ]

I feed the squirrels from a hanger in my backyard tree. When I refill the feeder the chiggers eat my legs with a vengeance even though I spray a lot of bug repellent on them. Where else can I put a squirel feeder where I can watch the little flea bags without making it easy for rats to get...

View more questions Search