Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElizabethRuiz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 06:26 PM
    How does child support(county) get a hold of a bank account?
    My husband and I recently noticed a debit charge from his bank statement online once it was through pending the charge was a Legal Order Fee (lts). He had gone to the bank to get this situation understood and under control. It turns out it is child support and the bank is charging him the $100.00 to get into his account while the next direct deposit from his employer will be seized for $800.00. So he basically canceled all of his direct deposit as well as any and all automatic bill pay.
    To the point our question is how did child support find this account, he pays monthly out of his check for child support and this is back pay. He thinks that the ex somehow got a control of his account number but what other ways does Child Support have of gaining access to his personal checking?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 06:34 PM

The only way they can do it is by court order. And he shouldn't have a charge for it other then the actual amount. Are you sure its child support related? Did the bank show him an order?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 06:38 PM

Child support enforcement ( if he has past due support) may have found it, his ex may have told court where the money was to be found.

The bank would have had to been given a court order to take money out of the account
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 07:45 AM

As the others have said if it is child support then the bank would have a copy of the order from the court because they have to have one to take out the money. There are a few ways that they can get the account. The ex could have told the child support enforcement where he banks at or he could be behind enough to issue an order to attach his bank accounts then child support enforcement can find it. That is their job to enforce the payment of child support. That includes arrears that have added up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support taking from bank account? [ 4 Answers ]

I believe I may owe child support, can The Child Support agency garnish or take money without my consent, from a bank account, or savings account at a bank?

Lien on bank account for child support [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that there is a lien against my bank account for child support. How can this be? I am the primary account holder on this account. The person that owes childsuport is just on the account. Will the lien be raised from my account.

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

Bank account garishment for child support [ 4 Answers ]

Can they take every penny out of your account and put you in a negative. Thank you This is in ohio:eek:

Bank account garishment for child support [ 1 Answers ]

Can they take every penny out of your account and put you in a negative. Thank you This is in Ohio

View more questions Search