Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomleahy25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 09:43 AM
    How many times an hour should my furnace cycle in a small house
    My furnace keeps the house warm but it does cycle often. It will start and then shut down and then about five seconds later it starts and runs fine. I have a small house that is insulated decent so I know it shouldn't cycle as much as it does(at least five times an hour) does this affect my gas bill? How do I make it cycle less. Oh like I said it is a very small one bed house but it only has two cold air returns one that's in my bedroom on the ground and the other is just an open vent into the basement which is unfinished and usaually cooler does this affect anything?
    tomleahy25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 09:45 AM

I did plug the hole behind the stat and move the gauge up to six and still nothing
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 01:34 PM
    The furnace could be to big for the house.

Five cycles per hour is OK.
    Tim99 Posts: 9, Reputation: -2

Feb 17, 2010, 05:42 PM

Hmmm. A furnace needs to put out BTUs necessary to maintain a certain temperature set on your thermostat. How it does this depends on the furnace. The newer, high efficiency furnaces have controls that adjust the temperature they put out according to how cold it is outside. The air that comes out will not feel as hot as the air in an older furnace where it basically burns full blast no matter what the demand for heat is. I'm thinking you may have an old furnace that is oversized for your house. It comes on and heats the house up very quickly and cycles off. By the sounds of it, you could shut the furnace off and light a candle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My furnace fault code light flashes three times the pause and flashes three times aga [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace fault code light flashes three times the pause and flashes three times again and repeats. What is wrong?

Bryant furnace fan cycles on 1 or 2 times for 2 or 3 sec. After heat cycle has ended [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Bryant furnace Mod. #394GAD024050 and after the temp has reached the set point and the furnace has cycled off the fan will come back on a couple of times for approx. 2 or 3 seconds. In the older furnaces with a machanical fan/limit switch some times the temp would creep up and cause the...

Carrier furnace purge exhaust fan continues to cycle and cycle [ 3 Answers ]

Carrier furnace/AC Product model #58ZAV 075-101JC Model #58ZAV 075-JC Series 100 Serial #2093A16 303 Natural Gas/Propane, heat furnace runs on Propane. Problem: With the unit turned to cooling with the thermostat, the heat pre-purge exhaust fan continues to cycle on and off, sometimes...

Steam boiler cycle times [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a Peerless WBV-03 SPL steam boiler installed. At the start, the burner shuts off once it reaches 1.75 PSI, about 20-25 minutes. From there on it runs for about 2 minutes, shuts down at 1.75 PSI and restarts in two minutes when there is no pressure reading on the gauge. This continues...

Grandfathers clock dongs one to many times on the hour [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one give me advice on how to fix my grandfathers clock. When it is two o'clock it dongs three times when, when its three o'clock it dongs four times and so on. My husband thinks that maybe he wound the hands forward when setting the time instead of counter clockwise.

View more questions Search