Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Feb 17, 2010, 01:36 PM
    What can remove scratches from tile?
    We moved large heavy metal items around the house and they scatched the ceramic tile. Is there any way to fix this? Please advise!

God Bless,

Ginger :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 02:00 PM

Hi ginger. All depends how deep the scratches are and what kind of ceramic tile.

Okay, have to ask this question. Why didn't you protect the tile and put something under the 'heavy metal items' ? Bad planning.

Tick

Feb 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Yes, you are correct! I did place towels along the floor for the removal but because the water heater was so old the nozzle to remove the water was rusted and the heater was removed with the water in it and the towels placed were used to clean up the spilled rusted water and not for the bottom of the tank. The scratches are approximately 1/8 - 1/4 inches and they have rust in them as well. Scratches can be felt using the hand but I think with some type of system (if any can be found) we can fix it up! :)

The tiles are 12 X 12 and are solid light beige; they have a slight texture and are dull.
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 04:04 PM

Try a mild abrasive on each scratch to reduce the feel when you run your fingers across it. The problem is not the scratch but the finish will be compromised, If you just want to eliminate 'the look' then try a fibreglass rubbing compound and keep on feeling the tile. If you now what I mean. This a feminine fix, not a masculine fix.

If it is a long term goal, then, there is nothing to do but replace the tiles that are permanently scratched.

Tick

Feb 17, 2010, 06:32 PM
    What type of Fiberglass Compound would you recommend for us to use? Are you saying that the mile abrasive can do harm to the tiles?
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 01:22 AM

A mild abrasive won't harm the tiles. Where did I say that if I suggested using it?

Automotive fibreglass rubbing compound.

Tick
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 10:32 AM

Hi again, gingerrogers, I don't know how damaged your ceramic tiles are from moving the appliances, and you wanted info on removing the scratches. You can't remove the scratches but you can make them less noticeable. The mild abrasives I suggested are not going to compromise the tiles but if you can't reduce the scratches, you will be faced with replacing the tiles, so do your best to reduce the scratches.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove/repair scratches in new hardwood floor [ 2 Answers ]

We just had new hardwood flooring installed on the first floor and stairway. Unfortunately, our dog has slipped and fallen down the stairs and scratched the polyeurethane. None of the scratches seem to have gone deep enough to reach the stain but there are a couple of scratches in the poly. We plan...

How to remove Grout on Tile surface [ 3 Answers ]

I had a tile guy put down tile in my laundry and bathroom, but he didn't wipe up the grout on the surface. It has now hardened to the treads in the laundry room tile and in the nooks and crannies on the slate tile in the bathroom. How could I go about getting it off? My new tile now makes the...

Remove grout from tile [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove Laticrete grout from tiles, followed the instructions and it did not work, it is in all the littlegrooves of the tile, the tile is a course tile, so how do I get it out without damaging the tile? Please help. Thank you Jennifer

How do I remove a one handle shower know to tile? [ 2 Answers ]

Find Delta Shower Fixture, Chrome and other Faucets at Aubuchon Hardware I am tiling my tub and I need to remove a one handle shower knob that is very similar to this link. I can't figure out how to get the handle off. I also don't know how to attach a picture of the real handle which would...

How do I remove a one handle shower know to tile? [ 1 Answers ]

Find Delta Shower Fixture, Chrome and other Faucets at Aubuchon Hardware I am tiling my tub and I need to remove a one handle shower knob that is very similar to this link. I can't figure out how to get the handle off. I also don't know how to attach a picture of the real handle which would...

View more questions Search