Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acsuser1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Feb 14, 2010, 05:09 PM
    Can I sue for pain and suffering in small claim court
    I lost my bank card and someone used it for about $850.00. The bank refused to refund the money and gave me no valid reason.
    I filed complaints with the BBB and the Comptroller of the Currency. They couldn't do anything about it.
    I'm about to sue them in Small Claim court. Since I'm very low income, losing that money and trying to recover it for a year
    Caused me a great mental anguish.
    How can I materialize that mental anguish into a dollar amount.
    I'm in Washington state.

Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 05:12 PM

No , first all small claims court that I know of, only allow for actual loss.
    And really that is not a pain and suffering issue,

The BBB does not do anything to get money back, it merely files complains.

After you filed the police report for theft of the card, and gave the bank a copy of it, what did they say ?

Feb 14, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    no , first all small claims court that I know of, only allow for actual loss.
    And really that is not a pain and suffering issue,

The BBB does not do anything to get money back, it merely files complains.

After you filed the police report for theft of the card, and gave the bank a copy of it, what did they say ?
    I did everything I was supposed to do, and I know I will easily win when I sue. That’s not the issue.

The absence of that money did cause me a lot of anguish and distress. I just need to see how to evaluate it and to present it to the court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2010, 07:51 PM

First, why do you think you will easily win? Federal Law limits your liability to $50 if you properly reported the loss. So, if your bank refused to refund the $800 I suspect they had good reason.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 07:53 PM

Yes, I am wondering what was their reason for denial.

And while I am sure it was stress, to try to sue for it, ( and I doubt you would win it anyway) you will have to move from small claims to normal civil court and hire an attorney to represent you. Your attorney would cost 3 or 4 times what you would win

Feb 14, 2010, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, why do you think you will easily win? Federal Law limits your liability to $50 if you properly reported the loss. So, if your bank refused to refund the $800 I suspect they had good reason.

The reason they gave is that they suspect that I authorized the charges. To this day they haven't told me What their suspicion is based on .
    I have proof that I was 300 miles away from where my card was used when it was used. They lied to me on phone and in writing (I have proof for that too).
    I personally think that my broken English on the phone and the fact that my account was new gave them the impression that I'm ignorant.

I know I'm going to win, because they obviously disregarded the regulations. But I want to have them pay as much possible for what they done to me .

Feb 15, 2010, 12:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acsuser1 View Post
    The reason they gave is that they suspect that I authorized the charges. To this day they haven't told me What their suspicion is based on .
    I have proof that I was 300 miles away from where my card was used when it was used. they lied to me on phone and in writing (I have proof for that too).
    I personally think that my broken English on the phone and the fact that my account was new gave them the impression that I'm ignorant.

I know I'm going to win, because they obviously disregarded the regulations. but I want to have them pay as much possible for what they done to me .

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter whether you used the card or not. So being 300 miles away has no bearing. What matters is, if they can show that the card was used with your permission. Its possible the pattern of spending was not dissimilar to your use of the card. There is also the issue of reporting the loss of the card. When did you do this in relation to when the charges were posted?

I don't know you will win. I think its very possible you will lose. You don't say what bank or how big they are, but I can't conceive of one that would risk being investigated over $800. Its penny ante. They must feel they have convincing proof.

As for exacting your pound of flesh. That's not going to happen in small claims court. You said you went to the Comptroller of the Currency. I assume that's the agency that oversees banks in your area. What did they say?

Feb 15, 2010, 01:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Here's the thing. It doesn't matter whether you used the card or not. So being 300 miles away has no bearing. What matters is, if they can show that the card was used with your permission. Its possible the pattern of spending was not dissimilar to your use of the card. There is also the issue of reporting the loss of the card. When did you do this in relation to when the charges were posted?

I don't know you will win. I think its very possible you will lose. You don't say what bank or how big they are, but I can't conceive of one that would risk being investigated over $800. Its penny ante. They must feel they have convincing proof.

As for exacting your pound of flesh. that's not going to happen in small claims court. You said you went to the Comptroller of the Currency. I assume that's the agency that oversees banks in your area. What did they say?

How would they have a conceiving proof if I didn't use the card?
    If they have no proof and no lawyers are allowed is small claim court, what makes you think I would loose?
    $800 is nothing for them, but they're hoping I get intimidated into giving up.

Years ago, many people ask me not to sue a federal agency in fear of retaliation, but I did and I won. So, I don't really care how big chase is, I I will sue, get my money back and then some.

Feb 15, 2010, 03:15 AM

I'm not saying not to sue. But don't be so confident you will win. And no, you will not get "then some". You will be reimbursed for your actual loss and maybe court costs, nothing more.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 09:06 AM

" I know I will easily win when I sue. That's not the issue." what rules did they break and why do you think you will win? You have already asked your question and gotten very good responses, yet you still think you have a good case. What is your cased based on, what regulations weren't followed by your card company?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 10:26 AM

Personal injury cases will reimburse a person for pain and suffering; contract law, debt, similar cases do not - whether it's Small Claims or some other superior court.

Feb 15, 2010, 09:32 PM

I asked an Actual lawyer and here is she replied:

"Since there is really no limit to the amount that can be asked for "pain and suffering", the general rule of thumb is to ask for an amount that would bring the total claim up to the maximum allowed amount, which is $5000. You can ask for "pain and suffering", and also for "punitive damages".

You are allowed to ask for pain and suffering in Small Claims court. You can ask for anything that involves payment of money. What you cannot ask for is an order for someone to do or not do something."

For anybody who is going through the same I hope this would be helpful.
    Don't get intimidated by anybody.

Do your homework and sue for the max. No one can have lawyers in small claim court and CEOs don't show up for $5000 lawsuit.
    Ask actual law experts even if you have to pay little fee. Visit you local law library.
    Sit through other people's lawsuits in court, you'd learn a lot.
    Above all DON'T GIVE UP, major companies make it so had to sue them because they know you'll win if you do.
    I'm going to sue for $5000 toward the beginning of March 2010. I' know I'm going to win (most of it at least) but I'll keep you updated.
    Good luck.

Feb 15, 2010, 10:46 PM

Maybe you need to do your homework. This guideline to Washington State Small claims court seems to disagree with you:

http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/165...ateabbrev=/WA/
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2010, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acsuser1 View Post
    I asked an Actual lawyer and here is she replied:

"Since there is really no limit to the amount that can be asked for "pain and suffering", the general rule of thumb is to ask for an amount that would bring the total claim up to the maximum allowed amount, which is $5000. You can ask for "pain and suffering", and also for "punitive damages".

You are allowed to ask for pain and suffering in Small Claims court. You can ask for anything that involves payment of money. What you cannot ask for is an order for someone to do or not do something."

For anybody who is going through the same I hope this would be helpful.
    Don't get intimidated by anybody.

Do your homework and sue for the max. No one can have lawyers in small claim court and CEOs don't show up for $5000 lawsuit.
    Ask actual law experts even if you have to pay little fee. Visit you local law library.
    Sit through other people's lawsuits in court, you'd learn a lot.
    Above all DON'T GIVE UP, major companies make it so had to sue them because they know you'll win if you do.
    I'm going to sue for $5000 toward the beginning of March 2010. I' know I'm going to win (most of it at least) but I'll keep you updated.
    Good luck.

Find out where your Attorney went to law school - I'd be interested to know because I looked at State law and this is NOT what it says.

No one in Small Claims Court can have an Attorney? Pain and suffering in what is basically a contract case? Nonsense.

In fact, I think you are quoting from another Q/A site (which has been quoted before) and I am off to search what it is.

Feb 16, 2010, 10:20 PM
    Here is the lawyer I asked:

I lost my bank card and someone used it for abou... - JustAnswer

{Mod note: Identifying info removed-<>}

Feb 16, 2010, 10:39 PM

The problem here is that we can't see what she answered because that's a pay site. So we don't know what she actually answered that you may have misinterpreted. Also did she look up WA law or respond relative to NY law?

I looked at the WA law you linked to and it doesn't say what you think it does. But if you like her answer better than ours, then file your suit. When its rehjected by the court, see if she will reimburse you for your fees.

P.S. We will not allow the personal attacks you have posted. They have been removed and you have been warned.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 07:41 AM

Just as a side note this is cut and paste info - I KNEW it had been posted here before but couldn't remember where/how. Someone else asking a similar question also (obviously) used the other site.

Can't wait to see how this one plays out - maybe we'll all learn something.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 03:07 PM

You folks need to come over to plumbing and home repair with me. At least there when a home owner asks a question they don't then tell you that you're wrong.
    duckypoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2013, 11:00 AM
    I contacted a computer company to fix my tablet. Oh yeah, they took my payment, but didn't fix my tablet, and will not answer their company phone. Can I sue them in small claims court for my money back, and punitive damages ?because now my tablet is worse than before.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 11:10 AM
    You can sue for punitive damges, but you won't win.

And, yes, sue for your damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you sue for pain and suffering in small claims court, California, for a tooth [ 8 Answers ]

Can I sue for the dental bill PLUS pain and suffering. My tooth was broken out when I was eating olives by a large piece of metal that was in the can. I had to get a crown. Can I sue for the cost of the crown plus an additional amount for pain and suffering? I'm in California.

Small claims in IL for accident-can I sue for pain and suffering and how much? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in an accident almost 2 years ago and got hit head on by a drunk driver. Hurt my wrist and was out of work for 2 months. He refuses to pay for my lost wages and I want them back. I was wondering if I can also sue for pain and suffering and for how much?

Maximum amount to ask in a small claim court for pain & suffering [ 7 Answers ]

Im suing my mother for $3,000 on a loan that she owes me, I'm also suing her for pan and suffering for physical and emotionally abuse.. now the quastion is for how much can I sue her in pain and suffering, what's the maximum amount in ny

Can I sue for defamation in CA small claims court? [ 6 Answers ]

2 months ago I was fired for talking about hockey during the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (I workd as a temp for 6 mos). The conversations didn't prevent me from doing work (it was slow & I finished all the work given to me), my ex-supe just got fed up and demanded that I never talk about hockey again...

View more questions Search