Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diabolical Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 08:00 AM
    Ampacity of #2/0 copper
    When I checked the wire size and ampacity chart I saw that 2/o wire is not suitable for 200A why do electricians use it for 200A services? I also saw that that 3/o is rated for 225A so why not use that and install 225A panels?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Please don't piggyback a new question on an old thread.

The National Electric Code recognizes that residential services will not draw full current, so as per Table 310.15 (B) 6, permits a 200 Amp residential service to use #2/0 copper.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    when i checked the wire size and ampacity chart i saw that 2/o wire is not suitable for 200A why do electricians use it for 200A services?
    NEC 310.15(B)(6) is what is used to size service conductors for dwellings, NOT T310.16

Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    i also saw that that 3/o is rated for 225A so why not use that and install 225A panels?
    Because 225A is an odd size for typical main breaker single phase panels, especially in a residential application.
    diabolical Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Please don't piggyback a new question on an old thread.

The National Electric Code recognizes that residential services will not draw full current, so as per Table 310.15 (B) 6, permits a 200 Amp residential service to use #2/0 copper.
    What about when bringing feeders off an I-line service for 200A sub-panels for the residence would this consideration recognize sub-panels
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 04:39 AM
    If I can imagine what your talking about, an I-Line distribution panelboard for a multi-family dwelling, and the 200 amp feeders to each apartment/condo.

Each feeder is to one residential dwelling, and Table 315.15(B)6 applies.

If I am not correct in my assumption, more explanation would be great regarding your situation.
    lilrob482club Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 11:14 AM
    Because you have two current carrying conductors. You have two number 2 copper cables. You can't put 200A on one cable, but your home if you look at it should have a cable marked red and a plain black one. The way you're picturing it would be 200A divided by one wire equaling 200A per conductor which I agree is an overload, but it's really 200A divided by 2 wires meaning only 100A ampacity per conductor and even that is not the continuous load because it's considering your garbage disposal which is only on for short bursts, your washer, dryer, refrigerator compressor, etc. all large amp currents that are only on for a percentage of time. Jesus Christ bless you.

Apr 3, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilrob482club View Post
    Because you have two current carrying conductors. You have two number 2 copper cables. You can't put 200A on one cable, but your home if you look at it should have a cable marked red and a plain black one. The way you're picturing it would be 200A divided by one wire equaling 200A per conductor which I agree is an overload, but it's really 200A divided by 2 wires meaning only 100A ampacity per conductor and even that is not the continuous load because it's considering your garbage disposal which is only on for short bursts, your washer, dryer, refridgerator compressor, etc. all large amp currents that are only on for a percentage of time. Jesus Christ bless you.
    WHAT are you talking about?? Divided by one wire and divided by two wires?
    Sorry, that is not how it works.

Besides, his thread is over two years old.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Lilrob, please refrain from giving anyone electrical advice, as you clearly do not have a working understanding of how an electrical service operates.

If you give out advice to those you know and love in your everyday life,you are doing a huge disservice to those people.

Jesus Christ will not be pleased with you.

Apr 3, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Lilrob, please refrain from giving anyone electrical advice, as you clearly do not have a working understanding of how an electrical service operates.

If you give out advice to those you know and love in your everyday life,you are doing a huge disservice to those people.

Jesus Christ will not be pleased with you.
    Post of the month! (maybe even year :) )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the ampacity for 8 AWG wire? 50 or 40 [ 12 Answers ]

Every electrician I ask tell me different story This is important since wire are very expensive I am need to connect an air-condition rated 240 50 Amp 3 wires (2 hot and ground) According to the NEC Table 310.16 Allowable Ampacities of Insulated Conductors Rated 0 Through 2000 Volts, 60°C...

Ampacity of adjacent buried cables [ 6 Answers ]

How do I determine the ampacity of two aluminum 3-conductor cables with ground , rated 0 to 600 volts buried in PVC conduit 24 inches below the surface and adjacent to each other?

GXL Wire Ampacity [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: What is the ampacity of 10 AWG GXL (125 C) wire in "free air" when used on a 120 VAC (nominal) circuit? Also, what is a good definition of "free air"?

Ampacity Ratings [ 1 Answers ]

I need help finding ampacity ratings for the following type wires coatings - FRXLPE and FREPR, 90 deg C and 105 deg C. I am unable to find any type of ratings in the NEC.

View more questions Search