Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickc5677 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 05:56 AM
    Why will my heat pump not stop running and its cold in the house
    Its 12 degrees outside of a night now and the heat pump ran all night and its only 65 degrees in the house with the thermostat set at 72. Only warming up to like 25 during the day outside. I switched to emergency heat last night and woke up to the house being 72 degrees but the emergency heat is running non stop. When using emergency heat the heat pump isn't running but the furnace is not ever turning off.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 07:38 AM
    At 12 degrees outside the amount of heat from the heat pump only will not keep your house warm. It is far past the set point. It is normal for this to happen since heat pumps loose more of there heat capacity the colder it gets outside.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 10:27 AM

It sounds like part of the auxiliary heater isn't working. If sized correctly & operating as intended, it should supplement the heat pump as needed & maintain a reasonable temperature within the structure. Check fuses/circuit breakers, otherwise you may need a pro to properly check system operation.

Feb 15, 2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the help its running now on heat pump its back up to 29 degrees outside. I flipped all breakers and reset everything. I turned air conditioning on for 15 minutes to run unit. Then shut it off and waited 5 minutes went back to heat and its working still running a lot to heat the house up to 72 will see how it goes the rest of the day I will be kicking it over to emergency heat of a night since its going down to the mid teens.

Feb 16, 2010, 07:23 AM

Its getting about 25 during the day the heat pump is working but only warms the house to about 70 even though we set thermostat to 75. So we put it back on emergency heat it warms up to whatever we set the thermostat to is this common ?

Feb 16, 2010, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickc5677 View Post
    its getting about 25 during the day the heat pump is working but only warms the house to about 70 even though we set thermostat to 75. so we put it back on emergency heat it warms up to whatever we set the thermostat to is this common ?
    Yes since a heat pump only has less capacity to heat when the temperature gets colder. Usually the emergency heat/second stage heat will kick in automatically but you say you have to turn it on manually so I guess that was the way it was wired for the original install. At least you have heat when many right now do not.

Feb 16, 2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks hvac1000 for taking the time to answer

Feb 16, 2010, 08:35 AM
    No problem. Stay warm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Heat Pump won't stop running! [ 3 Answers ]

We have a carrier tech2000 electric heat pump and it won’t stop running. We attempted to turn the unit off at the thermostat, but the only way to stop it is to turn it off at the breaker. The unit outside seems to be off? The outside fan doesn't spin despite the hot hair & constant blowing...

AC / Heat Pump inside blower fan will not stop running [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE 1000 Heat Pump the inside furnace blower fan runs non-stop. Even when you turn the thermostate to off. I replaced the thermostate with a new digital honeywell non-programable thermostate this did not fix the issue. Can someone tell me what my problem is, what I need to do to...

Should I have to turn a heat pump off to stop it from blowing cold air? [ 5 Answers ]

My heat pum starts blowing hot air then it will go cold and reduce the air temperature by 3 degrees. If I turn it off then turn it back on again it will heat right back up. Is this normal?

Ejector pump will not stop running [ 1 Answers ]

The ejector pump in the basement will not stop running. Also, I smell an odor from it. I unplugged it for now.

Heat Pump not heating house -fan is running [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Ruud heat pump that is 12-13years old & as of the last few days, it does not seem to be heating the house very well but it has been very cold for this part of the country. It works well when the outside temp is above 50 degrees. It has been in the upper 30's and low 40's. We put on the...

View more questions Search