Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Back feed electric 12 wire
    200 amp service in my house... #10 wire going to the garage 120 foot away... for 220 service through a 30 amp 220 braker... I'd lite to back feed to the house with a 6250 generator... generator puts out 220 with 20 amps on each side... with #12 wire... can I use the 12 wire... run it 20 feet to my sub panel that's in the garage... my sub has is own ground rod... ground and nutrual are seprate.. when the main 200 amp braker is off and I'm back feeding... any danger with the back feed through the nutual going out to the field?
    Thank you my friend... richard
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 08:27 AM

Yes there is a danger without a Interlockkit kit.
    I feel an Interlockkit is the cheapest, fastest, safest way.
    http://www.interlockkit.com/
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 01:46 PM

I wouldn't say to do that, but if someone did, they should clearly mark the 200 amp breaker to remove backfeed prior to hooking back up.
    Lock or tape in the off position.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 02:11 PM
    I suggest you check with your utility company, see what they have to say about backfeeding a service without the appropriate, approved method,such as an Interlock Kit.

In the event you send power out onto the grid, you will get to meet several burly linemen, hopefully none that got injured, or worse. They will gladly cut your home free from the grid, and someday,come back and re-connect your service, providing there was no death of a lineman.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 02:27 PM

I have heard people frezzing to death from No Electric/Heat.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 02:36 PM
    And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I have heard people frezzing to death from No Electric/Heat.
    Richard does not mention that this is an emergency situation. Sounds like he is collecting information to do this project. So he has the time to plan and do the project properly to conform to Code and Utilty requirements.

IF this was an emergency situation, AND the only method to restore heat would be to backfeed a service on a temporary basis, then there could be other means of preventing sending power back out on the grid and potentially killing someone trying to repair the utility problem.

Freezing to death takes hours, maybe days to die.

Electrocuting someone only takes a second.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tableclocks View Post
    grid systen wont be fed if i turn off the main.....daaaaa.....will it
    This point is completely moot. There is NO WAY you can do this with 100% certainty without some sort of interlock or transfer device.

You saying "I'll be safe" does NOT cut it.

Illegal backfeeds are the bane of electricians and linemen alike. Linemen risk their lives every time they go out to work during an outage because there is always some moron with an illegal back feed and chance are someone will make a mistake at some point. This whole issue would not BE an issue if things like this did not happen.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 04:26 PM

I appologize, I thought this was the Guy in Maryland that was Snowed in. Don't know what happened to that post?
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Don't know, and no need to apologize, no offense taken here.

If this is an emergency, the poster does not say that, unless I am missing something, but in times of trouble I would be the first to do what is necessary, but being sure to take extra caution until the emergency is over. Then take measures to do it right so the next time connecting the genset would not be a problem. Or cause problems.
    LandserElectric Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2010, 07:20 PM

Im in the camp that its not cool. Get a manual trasfer switch or that kit in the link. I hate putting welding plugs in for homeowners because you know what they intend to do. Hes not in an emergency, he's planning for one. When people are stressed or full of adrenaline you get forgetful real quick.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Reliance makes an affordable 6 circuit transfer switch. Choose six circuits you need during an outage and get a cord from the generator to the switch and be done with it. Interlocks are OK, but with that small of a generator you will no doubt keep tripping the breaker while deciding which breakers to turn off in your backfed panel.
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 07:01 AM

I like the Interlockkit because you can have all your 120 volt breakers on, just unplug or don't turn on anything not needed. Lighting makes it nice and safe. Just turn the light/fan off when you leave the room. And even cheaper that a 6 circuit panel. My opinion.
    Lancer, I'm also in the camp that thinks its "not cool", I have removed several Suicide setups and installed Interlockkits.
    We are all in agreement. Even though the poster says he will keep Main breaker Off to prevent backfeeding, doesn't mean someone else won't. This snow storm in Maryland I hear is the worse in over 100 years.
    cgs104 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 07:31 AM

Pull the miter base put it back when emergeny is over and generator in off
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 08:06 AM
    In an emergency, I would agree with shutting off the Main.

And taking extra precaution that it does not get closed while under generator power.

This is something simple and safe a homeowner can do.

While removing a utility meter will insure absolutley no backfeed out onto the grid can occur, once the power is back on, now a homeowner needs to plug the meter back in.

The top jaws of a meter socket will be live, and exposed.

The meter opening needs to be covered with something that can safely cover and insulate the live parts once the power is restored.

Setting meters can be a bit tricky, even for pros, as all four blades, sometimes five, on the back of the meter MUST line up exactly with the jaws in the socket.

The amount of energy at the live jaws is very large. Extreme shock and arc flash/blast exists.

Keep in mind, the Line Side of all meters are unprotected by circuit breakers or fuses.

In the event of a short at the meter jaws, the metal will melt in a catastrophic blast expelling molten metal as shrapnel, along with the actual arc blast that will cause third degree burns and cook flesh, and forget the eyes. They will be gone.

So, considering the definite possible dangers and risks, I do not believe it is wise for a homeowner to unplug and plug back in any utilty meter.
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2010, 09:57 AM

Follow up q please... when I back feed through the panel in my garage... I'll be back feeding the 2 --120 lines and the neture... right?. not the ground... the gen will be grounded at the ground rod at the garage... thank you... richard
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
    Connect the equipment ground also. Grounding to earth is not the same as the equipment ground. Equipment grounding provides a path back to the power source, now being the genny, in the event of a short circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sizing wire to feed an arc welder [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to run wire from my 200 amp service panel in the basement about 65' to my garage for my arc welder. What size wire and breaker should I use? It's a Lindy 230 stick welder.

New wire feed from old 220 breaker to new 4 prong recptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a new stove in an old house! Using 4 prong stove cord and will install 4 prong receptacle and flush box at wall. Problem is how to wire new wire (6/3 w ground) into old sub panel breaker box. Original was hard wired using using 3 conductor BX and I am not sure as to where to connect the...

Sub panel feed wire gauge [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a sub panel to a new garage addition. New 125 amp panel with a double 50 amp breaker in the existing panel. The new sub panel will be 75 feet from the existing main panel. My concern is the correct wire gauge because of the length of the run. The cable will be inside underfloor then in...

Interlocking plate back to back feed [ 2 Answers ]

If I use a interlocking plate to backfeed my main(homelite 200amp)from my generator... from my garage... can I use the braker that is feeding the garage if I put it in the proper place to accommodate the interlocking plate? It's a 220 30 amp braker... so part of the question is... will the...

View more questions Search