Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medmike Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Tecumseh 10 HP, no spark!
    Short version... had blown 8 hp Tec. For snowblower. Got 10hp Tecumseh new short-block, swapped out crank and cam shaft (needed the pto shaft from blown engine to drive snowblower wheels). Everything came together like a dream, the blocks are identicle save for slightly larger piston. I have good compression, but no spark! Checked spark plug in spare snowblower, works fine. Have SSI so ordered new one thinking coil was bad, still no spark.
    I am using old flywheel also, but as long as magnets line-up with the solid state ignition, shouldn't I get a spark (gapped to 0.012) if SSI is functional?
    Do I need to use the 10 hp's original flywheel for some reason? No grounding issue that I can see (only using spark plug boot to spark plug).

What do you think?
    Thanks in advance!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 07:23 AM

Yep, change the flywheel if the old engine wasn't solid state ignition.

Feb 10, 2010, 07:27 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention both are ssi.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 08:49 AM

Hi,
    The only solutions are that it is either grounded somewhere or the coil is mounted upside down (very common on Briggs magnetrons.) A solid state ignition will have fire even if it is at the wrong time if all other things are correct.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 05:42 PM

Did you try setting the gap with an index card. This is about 0.006" and you don't run the risk of shorting out the coil.

Also, slightly sand the magnets to remove any surface rust.

Feb 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
    Thanks... I won't tell you how stupid I feel with the mistake I made, well anyway, I was not using the solid state ignition "stand-off" posts, so the coil was not over the magnets properly. Somehow I missed transferring these from old to new engine!
    The posts push the ssi out over the flywheel far enough now... have a spark! Engine started 1st pull (now it vibrates excessively, but that's for another day).

Thanks
    terryshane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 09:03 AM
    Yes sure do your littlewhite wire that plugs in the coil is grounding out on the block unplug it n try it again but keep in mind youl either have to unplug the sparkplug whire to stop the engine or turn off the gas tank till it runs out of gas if your blower is equipped with a fuel cut of tap
    terryshane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
    Don't forget to clean off the metal shavings if any are present it will cause your blower to misfire and back fire I had that problem after I chewed up my starter gears shavings went everywhere and all over the magnets had to remove the fly wheel to clean it all up thers magnets inside the flywheel as well for your lighting coil check your exaust valve gap it should be .017 the coil and flywheel gap should be .020 n the spark plug gap should be .035 hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spark plug doesn't spark while grounded but will if you hold it away from ground [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honda Z50 that I picked up at a bargain and it wasn't firing if you hold the plug on the head, I noticed if I hold the spark plug about an inch or so away from the head spark will jump from the plug to the head or what ever else you hold it next to or if you just hold it in your hand it...

5HP Tecumseh No Spark [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 5HP tecumseh on a john deere snow blower it has good compression but it has a very weak spark and I don't know why I cleaned all of the Ignition parts the flywheel the coil even the breaker points but still very little spark could it be the coil or the points?? (HS50) (67252E) (4228B)

12.5 briggs and s that lost spark magnito replaced and no spark [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Deutz-Allis 613 lawn tractor with a B/S 12.5 horizontal engine. When I got it. The engine would run fine unless it was under a load... if the choke was pulled out half way the engine wouldn't stall. I replaced the drive belt and then the mower belt sharpened the blades and the tractor...

Don't get spark from my spark plug wire [ 1 Answers ]

I get spark from my spark plug wire sometimes when I don't the jeep don't start Why I don't get spark sometimes?

Tecumseh [ 12 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to pronounce the Native American name Tecumsh? Thanks!

View more questions Search