Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emt731fire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 04:26 PM
    My employer did not withhold enough social security taxes
    My employer withheld 98.92 in social security taxes, roughly 20.00 less than should have been withheld. I have verified the ammounts with my last check stub, and the social security table. Upon calling the employer she informed me that it was my fault (I filled out a w4, but NEVER mentioned anything about the social security withholding). Needless to say she was very hostil about all of this. I attempted to file my taxes but had difficulty, and am now going to have to go to a CPA to have it done. What do I need to do?
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Feb 7, 2010, 04:47 PM

In my opinion, as long as the social security wages on the W-2 are correct, I would not worry about it. Sooner or later the employer will get a notice from Social Sec. that there is an error.

And honestly I don't know how it could be your fault as Soc. Sec. is a fixed percentage and a W-4 has nothing to do with it.

Some others will be along later or in the morning, they may have a different opinion.
    emt731fire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 05:37 PM
    That does make me feel better that it was on her side. I'd hate to have trouble with the IRS or Social Security Administration.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 01:08 PM
    The IRS NEVER bothers the employee about withholding issues on Social Security or Medicare taxes. They deal exclusively with the employer, and hold the employer responsible for proper calculation and payment of these taxes.

You have nothing to worry about!
    TaxWorksPlus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
    You can file Form 8919 along with your return to pay your additional Social Security Tax. I am not in agreement with the previous commment. The Employer is responsible for their portion and you are responsible for yours. And the W4 has nothing to do with the Social Security withholding which is 6.2% of wages up to 106,XXX. (4.2% in 2011)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My employer forgot to withhold taxes [ 6 Answers ]

CA (california) increased tax rates last year. Today my employer told all of us that they forgot to adjust to the new rates and that the employees will most likely not get a refund this year, but rather might have to pay instead FOR THEIR MISTAKE! Do we have to pay? Doesn't the employer have to...

Will Social Security withhold benefits from me if I have money in the Bank? [ 8 Answers ]

Recently I was found to be disable under Social Security Admininstration rules, and am having my benefits directly deposited in my bank. Due to the amount of my benefits, I am unfortunately forced to sell my home. I am no longer able to pay my mortgage and other expenses. The benefit amount...

My employer forgot to withhold FICA taxes for me [ 8 Answers ]

I have been working on H1B visa for the last two years. I recently discovered that as H1B I still need to pay FICA (social and medicare) tax. But my company did not withhold these taxes for me for two years now. What should I do? Am I required to pay the prior missing FICA taxes? Will I be...

Employer did not withhold Georgia State Taxes [ 6 Answers ]

I just discovered my employer has not been withholding Georgia state taxes. They have been withholding all other taxes. Since we don't receive a pay stub each payday, I retrieved my first pay stub online and missed it. I haven't pull any others since the direct deposit was the same each time...

View more questions Search