Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danerjnbaptiste View Post
    question: was wonderin if the definition i placed for socioloy was not relevant to the essay. Would the definition for foundin fathers be more relevant
    Yes. The essay is about two of the founding fathers of sociology, not about sociology itself. We want to know what is a founding father -- why that term, and which two you chose.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 06:50 PM
    @ wondergirl ....u said mention each man and his general area......... Is what iam sayin about them not sufficient
    You go around and around in circles and don't really say anything.

Let me think a minute and write an introduction to a different subject to show you.
    danerjnbaptiste Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 06:53 PM

OK thanks. Iam going to choose durkheim and marx
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 07:01 PM

Okay -- here's a very quick writing of an introduction to an essay about Moses and Jesus as lawgivers.

The Bible tells us important information about two lawgivers. One lived during Old Testament times, and we find the other living during the time of the New Testament. Moses. The Old Testament lawgiver, brought the young nation of Israel out of Egypt and on a forty-year journey to the Promised Land, the land that God had promised to them through their patriarch Abraham. Along the way, God gave Moses the Ten Commandments that Moses, in turn, presented to and taught the Israelites as rules for daily living. In the New Testament, Jesus took those Ten Commandments and condensed them into only two which he called the Two Greatest Commandments. Jesus spent his entire life explaining how those two rules were a summary of the original ten and how they could be applied to everyday life.

First, notice the topic sentence. Then, notice how I wrote generally about each man and told a tiny bit about what each did.

Feb 3, 2010, 07:08 PM

OK I still don't get it a but I am I going to work on something an post the draft in the morning.. Thanks much for your help.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 07:16 PM
    ok I still dont get it a but iam i gonna work on something an post the draft in the morning.. Thanks much for your help.
    To get ready to write the body of the essay, write down each man's name and several different areas that he influenced or was concerned about -- maybe religion, secularization, division of labor, complexity.

Feb 5, 2010, 01:26 PM

OK

Feb 5, 2010, 01:34 PM

Many sociologists emerged in the 1800’s, which we today refer to as founding fathers of sociology, particularly Karl Marx and Emile Durkhiem. According to encyclopedia.com a founding father is a person who starts or helps to start a movement or institution. With this definition it can be noted that the theories put forward by these men have contributed to its existence as a discipline. Although they have been considered as the founding fathers of sociology, they each have their own perspective of society and its function. Emile Durkheim views society from a functionalist perspective, attempting to show how institutions making up the social system can affect social behavior. He spoke also on solidarity and its ability to maintain order in the society, but failing to make reference of the conflict in society. Whilst Karl Marx, a conflict theorist showed great interest in inequality under capitalism. However he made no mention of social unity. Lastly Max Weber who was a social action theorist focused on the meanings behind human behavior.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Lastly Max Weber who was a social action theorist focused on the meanings behind human behavior.
    Why did you throw in Max at the last minute?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 03:03 PM

My proofreading and editing --

According to encyclopedia.com, a founding father is a person who starts, or helps to start, a movement or institution. Several sociologists, whom we today refer to as founding fathers, emerged during the 1800s. Two in particular were Karl Marx and Emile Durkheim. Because of their work and the theories they developed, sociology became established as a discipline in its own right. As two of sociology's founding fathers, each had his own perspective of society and its function. Emile Durkheim viewed society from a functionalist perspective and attempted to show how institutions making up the social system can affect social behavior. He also theorized on solidarity and its ability to maintain order in the society, but failed to make reference to the conflict in society. On the other hand, Karl Marx, a conflict theorist, showed great interest in inequality under capitalism, but made no mention of social unity.

Feb 5, 2010, 03:20 PM

OK thanks for proof reading... but should I add Max Weber and speak about him or totally delete him
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 03:25 PM
    ok thanks for proof reading...but should i add Max Weber and speak about him or totally delete him
    Isn't the assignment to write about two men? Why put him in?

Feb 6, 2010, 04:56 AM

OK thanks
    sherms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 08:51 AM
    Hi I have chosen max weber and karl marx here and the problem that Im having is that I can't find a conclusion for my introduction. I really don't know what to say.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherms View Post
    Hi I have chosen max weber and karl marx here and the problem that Im having is that I can't find a conclusion for my introduction. I really dont know what to say.
    Your conclusion ties together the main points of the essay and says something about those two men being true founding fathers because of their accomplishments in the field of sociology.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sociology [ 2 Answers ]

What are some ways in which American society is stratified? What do you think the impact is on society when groups are stratified?

How to claim fathers from fathers neglegence in child support after 20 years [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in georgetown guyana.my dad departed yo canada since I was a 4 year old kid,I suffered since because dad never sent one sent to my grandma (his mom to support me)AS A RESULT I WAS PHYSICALLY,PHYCHOLOGICALLY,SEXUALLY AND MORE,abused as a result of dads absence and lck of responsabliity as...

Service Branch Founding Dates [ 1 Answers ]

What are the founding dates of the five branches of the US military?

Sociology [ 2 Answers ]

My exams are very near and I needed to know how we can criticise marx and weber individually in our own words ( our own criticisms).I would be thankful to you if you help me.

View more questions Search