Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 07:47 AM
    What to do about an abusive adult daughter
    How do you deal with a 44 year-old daughter who verbally attacks her father (bad father, bad grandfather) and nothing we say seems to get through to her? Her mother (from a prior marriage) uses this daughter to air her grievances about her ex husband and the daughter seems to believe her. This has been going on for over 25 years. I am the second wife and have watched my husband (her father) age before my eyes every time she goes on the attack. He will soon be 75 and I feel he shouldn't have to put up with this for the rest of his life. What do we do?
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 5, 2010, 08:00 AM

You and your husband deserve to live in peace. The adult daughter can only abuse your husband if he lets her. Your husband should put his foot down and tell his daughter that she must be respectful or stay away. Then, when she goes on the attack, he can show her the door, or hang up the phone.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 11:37 AM

You need to draw some clear boundaries here, that leave no room for discussion.

If your husband is unable to stand up to her, then if it were me, I would, and not think twice about it.

It might be safer to send her an email, and tell her that you are communicating this way so there are no questions, and everything is clear.

Tell her you will no longer allow her in the house until she can assure YOU that she will not verbally attack her 75 year old father. Tell her she will have to call first, and set a time to come over, and visits will not last longer than an hour.

If she can control herself, you will increase the time she is allowed to see him.

If she verbally attacks in your presence, and your husband is getting physically uncomfortable and stressed out, you will call the police and have her removed from the home. He is 75!! What's with this daughter.

You are changing behaviour that has gone on for 25 years as you said, and it should have been put to rest two decades ago plus some.

Keep whatever correspondence you send to her in a hard copy in a safe place. Expect her to balk at no longer being able to abuse him (elder abuse is what this is). Record in a notebook all calls, threats, angry exchanges, etc.

As he gets older and she doesn't change, she may very well be setting him up for an early departure. At the very least she is abusive, and ruining his quality of life, and enjoyment of same.

Please step up and do the right thing here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My adult daughter is verbally and emotionally abusive to me [ 8 Answers ]

I brought my adult daughter home when she needed back surgery. This was 16 months ago. She is still living with me. I provide food , shelter and little by little, she is demanding more and more of my financies - e.g. for cigarettes, taxi cabs, special food, etc, and when she does not get what she...

How to answer abusive adult daughter? [ 24 Answers ]

How do I answer a disrespectful adult daughter who is abusive to me?

Abusive Adult Daughter and Baby [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 22 year old daughter and 2 year old granddaughter who live with me. She has a very good job with a future so no issues there, BUT she was diagnosed with Bipolar in the past and shows sign of this all of the time. She is verbally abusive to me on a daily basis and shows signs of that...

Abusive adult children [ 10 Answers ]

I have two son; 31 and 36, they are very abusive toward me, now is the verbal and emotional abuse that comes out more often. Without going on with too many explanations, I just want to know what to do, they blame me for all their misfortunes ( you can deduct that I am a single mother) They are...

Dealing with an abusive adult child [ 58 Answers ]

My daughter is 20 yrs old. I was divorced from her mother for 3 years. I'm recently re-married. My daughter is very manipulative and has caused major damage towards my wife and new family. She wants me to leave my wife so that she can control me the way her mother did for 20 years in a very abusive...

View more questions Search