Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snglemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Smell in my Upstairs Bedroom/Bathroom
    I'm sure this has been asked... but I need some help.
    I live in a 2 story townhouse. My bedroom is upstairs and there is a bathroom off the bedroom. About a week ago, I started noticing a smell. The smell comes and goes. Sometimes it's so bad I can't go into the bedroom and 45 minutes laterI can't smell it at all. This is not a bathroom that is regulary used (at least not the shower and the downstairs 1/2 bath is the one that is mostlhy used for restroom purposes). As of tonight, I've just shut the door because the smell is so terrible. It's so bad at times that it concerns me that it could make my son (or even myself) sick.

At first, I thought it was a dead rat... and I haven't ruled "anything" out. I have poured a bottle of draino down the garden tub (and flushed with hot "tap" water). Is there something I can do to test or pinpoint where the smell is coming from.. and what can I do? Also, I hate to be plumbing stupid but anything that you can do the "dumby" down the answer would be helpful, since I don't know the plumbing lingo/terminology.

Please help... I am a single mom and needless to say money is tight (since it's almost Christmas) and I need to try to "attempt" to resolve this myself (if at all possible). I'm pretty handy about working on things myself but plumbing (or dead rodents) is not my niche... This is my first post.. hope I haven't been too lengthy... Thanks to anyone for suggestions
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2006, 11:37 AM
    You have no idea how hard it is to track down a bad smell when you're not there to do it. I HAVE to know where the smell's the worst. A drain? Around the toilet? Somewhere the smell's the strongest. Let me know and that's where we'll start. Tom
    jthaje Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Have a strong smell coming from upstairs bathroom. Had a friend pull toilet and used camera to check if line is clear. Looked down vent at night from roof top but pipe angles on a 45. Measured to where toilet would be located and it's above kitchen ceiling and there is a small stain on ceiling.Plumber came out and really have no answer other then smoke test and even with that no true answers.
    jthaje Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Upstairs bathroom toilet,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Smell in Bedroom - Fishy! [ 17 Answers ]

My 17 yr old sons bedroom has, for the past 2 months, had an awful smell - like strong fish - which really catches the back of your throat! I know most people will say all boys rooms smell - but this is different! It started two months ago - for no apparent reason. His sisters say it is him - he...

Fishy Smell In Bedroom! [ 2 Answers ]

I suffered from this ailment as of recently and couldn't figure out the culprate it always appeared in different area's of the room and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally found the problem, we had a 100W bulb in a 60W socket, and it was burning/melting the base of the ikea lamp we...

Damp Smell in Bedroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, all. On one side of my son's 2nd floor bedroom, a musty smell will become noticeable every time we close his door more than 1/2 way for more than 10-15 minutes. This has been happening since we moved in 2 months ago. It does not coincide to rain and comes back after you air out the room. ...

Sewage Smell from upstairs sink [ 2 Answers ]

I may be handy, but it takes me 5 times longer to do anything. (Husband travels extensively, so taking 5x longer is better than it not getting done at all!) I notice a very strong sewage odor coming from my upstairs bathroom sink. (Not something you want to encounter when brushing your teeth...

View more questions Search