Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usafwd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 01:24 PM
    Received inheritance payment from trust - Do I need to claim?
    I received $16,500 from a family trust when my grandmother passed away in 2009. My mother (the person in charge of trust) informed me the family accountant said I would not be receiving a 1041/K-1 and I would not need to pay taxes on this inheritance because the trust was already paying taxes on the money. Is this true?

Do I need to claim this inheritance somewhere and pay taxes on it, or am I in the clear?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 02:06 PM

You're in the clear if the accountant says you are. The only time you have to pay income tax from a trust like this is if they issue you a schedule K-1, and in that case you are paying tax on the income the trust receives between the date of death and the distribution of the principal to the heirs, not on the value of the inheritance itself. So if the accountant isn't sending out a K-1, you're in the clear. There is no federal inheritance tax, so no wories there. The only possible concern is if your state has an inheritance tax (a few do, so you should investigate that).
    usafwd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 02:35 PM

So I don't even have to claim it anywhere on my taxes? I don't pay state tax because I'm in Florida, and I'm active duty military.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by usafwd View Post
    So I don't even have to claim it anywhere on my taxes? I don't pay state tax because I'm in Florida, and I'm active duty military.
    Correct - you can ignore it for tax reporting purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance received from Mexico, pay taxes in US/ [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed. He left my a house in Mexico as inheritance, which I sold. It when from his name to the new owners name, I got the Money. The money is sitting in a bank in Mexico. When I transfer that money to the US I know that the banks have to report anything over 10,000 to the IRS. When I...

Received small inheritance right after filing for Chapter 13 [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I just filed for Chapter 13 a little more than a month ago. Not long after filing, my grandmother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away within 2 weeks of her diagnosis. I had no clue that she had any money set aside or any sort of an estate, but at the funeral my...

Bought Jetski, sent payment but never received it. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help as I bought a jetski off someone over the internet, sent the payment via a bank transfer and now he no longer answers any of my phone calls (i.e. I presume he sold the jetski twice). I live in Europe and found a jetski for sale in the US. It was a 2003 Yamaha GP1300R selling...

Never received payment [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend asked me to pay his phone bill for him, 3 times, saying that I would get my money back when he got it. The total amount is $300.00. I have been trying to get the money back for months. We are now broken up and he is refusing to pay. I have the bank statements saying the amounts I...

Is inheritance money received taxable? [ 2 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I recently received a small inheritance. Am I obligated to pay taxes on this money?

View more questions Search