Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waterpower1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 01:18 PM
    Frozen baseboard heating pipe
    I have a rozen base board heating pipe. I don't know where it's frozen. Most of the pipes run along the outside wall but are difficult to reach because of how they are hidden. Is there an easy fix?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 03:53 PM
    NO. If the system was shut off or not calling for heat for a long time and it froze someone will be in the hurting when it thaws and floods so I would shut down the boiler if possible and also kill the water supply to prevent more damage.

Jan 31, 2010, 06:13 PM
    We found the burst pipe. Isn't there new pipes that are similar to hoses that we can replace the burst pipe with?

Jan 31, 2010, 06:19 PM
    I guess there is since anything can be replaced today but being a old guy I just replace copper with copper etc. If you want to use the new style plastic heat pipe like PEX you are going to have to solder or mechanically attach the adapter anyway.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 06:50 PM

I agree with hvac1000. Replace the copper with copper when dealing with hot water heat piping. Also, it may be time to add antifreeze to your boiler system. This will prevent any future freezing problems. Make sure to get the correct antifreeze for your boiler(we are not talking regular car antifreeze here). It cost a bit, but will save you any future headaches of this type.

Jan 31, 2010, 06:56 PM
    How do you add antifreeze?

Jan 31, 2010, 07:06 PM
    You have to pressurize the antifreeze or install it into the system under pressure. Usually years ago we would blow the system and all zones down with compressed air then attach an electric pump (pony pump we called it) and fill the system to its normal capacity. Once the system is up and running we would top it off if necessary. If your system has any leaks then it will take an on demand setup which I will not go into since it is reserved to a more professional audience (Very complicated). A recovery bucket setup might be required by code if your area has laws against sewering or discharging antifreeze.

I actually would advise you to have the antifreeze done by a professional to start with since then there is a guarantee involved.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 07:09 PM

If the system was set up correctly(to today's standards) there will be boiler drains on the supply and return piping directly off the boiler. You use a pump and pump the antifreeze into the system through the boiler drain on the supply side through a garden hose. At the same time you will let the water out through the boiler drain on the return side(hooked to a garden hose that is run to a drain, or outside.) I suggest having a boiler tech, or plumber come in to do this. They will have the correct equiptment to do it properly, and the knowhow to add boiler drains if nonexisten on your current system.

Jan 31, 2010, 07:22 PM

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my questions. You've been very helpful
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 07:34 PM

Thank you for responding. Please let us know how everything turns out. Good luck, take care. Lee.

Jan 31, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Ditto here. Here is a pic of a fun boiler system.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the pic hvac. Id love to tackle a job like that. Looks very professional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Think I might have a frozen pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Current cold snap in portland or. Yesterday morning I had no hot water in the kitchen sink. Cold water works but not a drip when you move the handle to the hot side. Dishwasher is right by the sink and when I turn it on no water makes it to the dishwasher. Hot water works in the rest of the...

Cost of baseboard heating [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I are buying a older home that is around 1,000 sq. ft. with 6 rooms to heat. With the cost of fuel so high we are thinking of taking out the monitor heat and replaceing it with electric baseboard heat. I actually know very little about this heat, and was wondering about how much...

Frozen outside pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I found water under my inside A/C unit & outside pipe was frozen. I turned off A/C & let thraw & changed a dirty filter. I turned my A/C back on. If this doesn't fix problem, what is my next step? Thanks!

Baseboard heating [ 1 Answers ]

I have baseboard heating and it it just not heating all the way it gets so far in the pipe but just doesn't reach the room where I have the heating system I tried to bleed it a couple of times first nothing came out second time a little water came out then the third time a little bit of air came...

Baseboard heating [ 5 Answers ]

I have electric baseboard heat. The heat concentrates more at going up the wall instead of into the room. I have tried heat deflectors, but the heat melted the plastic. Is something wrong with them or is there something I can use to deflect the heat into the room. We try to keep the temp down...

View more questions Search