Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Jan 31, 2010, 12:47 AM
    Lost my dog today
    I am 18. I had a boxer since I was in kindergarten. Of course he has gotten very old and got put down just about 12 hours ago. I normally don't believe much in god. I try to but I just don't know what to believe. However every time I lose a pet or someone close to me I suddently become more faithful doing all I can praying they come back. I just wish that he could just come back as a ghost or something so I could spend one more time with him. But I know that could never happen. I miss him so much. I want to be with him so bad. He's my whole childhood. I don't know what to do
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 01:56 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your Boxer.

Read this poem, it really helps me when I lose a pet

Rainbows Bridge Poem

Feb 1, 2010, 11:10 PM

Thanks I wish I was with him right now. I wish I could go back in time
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Hi, beth911!

Long time, no see! I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your Boxer!

The following is from the following site: Help - Bible verses and readings used at funerals It's from the Holy Bible. It's also true for anyone, no matter what their faith is.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, A Time for Everything

There is a time for everything,
    And a season for every activity under heaven:

A time to be born and a time to die
    A time to plant and a time to uproot,
    A time to kill and a time to heal,
    A time to tear down and a time to build,
    A time to weep and a time to laugh,
    A time to mourn and a time to dance,
    A time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    A time to embrace and a time to refrain,
    A time to search and a time to give up,
    A time to keep and a time to throw away,
    A time to tear and a time to mend,
    A time to be silent and a time to speak,
    A time to love and a time to hate,
    A time for war and a time for peace.
    Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:33 PM
    You like to write, beth911!

How about writing some remembrances of your pet, that you can keep, while the memories are still fresh in your mind?

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 11:48 PM

Beth, I'm so very sorry for your loss, it's always hard to lose someone you love, a member of the family. Sadly that's what everyone has to face when they get a dog, it's unfair that their lives are so much shorter then ours.

I know that the pain is still fresh and you're hurting, but I promise that in weeks to come your memories will bring a smile to your face and you heart will feel lighter then it does right now.

I'm sure he had a wonderful life being your dog, you gave him your love and affection, he gave it right back. Know that he's in a better place, running, chasing rabbits (which is not allowed ;)) and feeling young and healthy again. It's those of us that are left behind that feel the pain, his pain has ended.

Hugs to you. You will feel better, I promise you.

Feb 2, 2010, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    It's those of us that are left behind that feel the pain, his pain has ended.
    That's so true. I never looked at it like that. It still hurts but that did make me feellike this is just what's best for him. Give me all the pain and just take it all away from him
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 05:13 AM

Its hard, but it will get better, I can promise you that.
    You never have to forget, but the memories will go from sad to happy, just give it time.

I was so upset when we lost our little Elliott, it took me weeks before I could even look ata photo but then one day I just decided to get all the pictures out, I chose my favourite and did a painting of him. It was really soothing and made a nice reminder of him.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 10:56 AM

I lost my dog in November so I know how you feel.. Google the video "the rainbow bridge" it helped me out a lot my aunt had sent it to me. As time goes on your pain will lessen but you will always love him... Keep all the good memories.. Me I made a box with some of his things in it. And I had a cross made for his grave. I'm not saying its for everyone but I also now have a tattoo of him on my leg so he's always looking up at me. Its nice being able to see him knowing that he's in a better place and that one day we will be together again in a place where no leashes are allowed. Again I am sorry for your loss, but at the same time be thanful you've had so many happy years with him

*EDIT* better yet here is the link. I found it. And it helped me out a lot. It made me cry but at the same time the words hit deep... http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html
    *hugs*

Feb 4, 2010, 06:57 AM

I was thinki ng about getting a tattoo of a paw print with his name on it. I still always feel like he is still here and he is still alive. I'm refusing to believe it

Feb 4, 2010, 07:49 AM

sorry this is so long... i really need to express myself. i need to get this off my chest. please read. i miss him so bad. please read this for me.

I just went out to his grave just now. For the first time. I founhd myself sitting in a pile of snow behind him freezing but I couldn't get myself to come in until my other dog came up to be whining. It was so sad. Omg I think I'm going to throw up. Then I found more pictures of him and I just feel like he was all I had as a child. I didn't have siblings my age or friends that could come over. I just had him. My whole child hood is gone. I want to go back so bad. I knew it was only a matter of time. But I just keep wanting one more day and will always wish I could have one more day with him young and healthy. He stayed in the basement with my dad and I always had a feeling one day I would find him at the bottom of the stairs dead because he fell down them a lot since he was so old and had hip problems. But my mom didn't want any dogs up stairs. He was up here for years then one day she just threw them downstairs but its OK for our 3 chiuhuahs to stay up stairs when they aren't even house trained or anything. That was so unfair to him. We had a birthday party for him one year. He loved walks a lot. He would always bring you the leash. If he needed water he would push his bowl over towards the sink. He would scratch on the bag of dog food or bring you the empty bag when he needed more food. He was soooo smart. I tought him to sit and shake and I wouldn't even have to say anything every time I would be eating he would come up to me drooling with big bubbles hanging off his lips and he would give me his paw. He knew what a squerril was and he did not like them. Lol. He used to pick up all his toys and put them in a pile and all the sticks in the yard he would also put in a pile. He thought he was a human. And I saw him as a brother. He always had the funniest looks on his face with one ear flipped back and the other not and his tooth hanging out over his lip and his head cocked to the side. My dad said when they put him down he died with his tooth that way. He loved strawberrys. He was always getting ahold of them. He wad very spoiled. All of our dogs are. My dad said he has had over 100 dogs in his life and that this dog "otis" is by far the best out of all of them. I named him when I was in kindergarten. I named him otis from the movie milo and otis. His papers said his name as "pretty boy otis" even these past few days before he died I still always called him my puppy. He always will be to me. I have another boxer and she seems so different without him around. He was such a good watch dog. One time we took him camping and he tried to jump through the tent because he heard someone and he ruined our tent. He jumped through the window a few times and broke it because other dogs were in the yard. Somehow he was lucky with that one and didn't get cut too bad. We wanted to breed him but the boxer we ended up getting was spayed when we got her and he would always try to fight her over his food so we got him fixed and it helped a lot.
    O my dad would walk him and take his leash off, tell him heel, walk so far down you couldn't see him any more and my dad would yell "ready hoof" and the dog would stay until my dad said that then he would come running to my dad no matter what he wouldn't leave his spot. Although sometimes he would lay there and try to crawl all sneaky if he seen something he wanted to get to. But then he would stop and just wine. Anytime my dad would eat, the closer my dad got to the last bite, the more and more the dog would wine and try to get onto his lap.
    This is a lot of memories of him I need to print this out if only I had a printer.
    He always had a chair that he liked and wouldn't let anyone else sit in. even his last day here. He would bark like crazy until the dogs got out of his recliner. Lol. Which was my dads but the dog took it over. I just want to pet him so bad.
    Salesmen would never knock on our door. He always scared them away.
    U could always tell when he was mad at you it was like he just kind of tried to ignore you. My dad would cook on the grill and the other dogs would go in and out but otis always stayed outside right next to my dad just sitting by the grill the whole time.
    You know I can't think of one single time that this dogs has ever tried to run away even when he was a puppy. He knew his boundries. He was my dads early christmas present. Probably a few weeks before christmas we got him. I still remember my dad commin in through our side door up the stairs and otis just running up to him all excited. It was love at first site. I went with my mom to get him. Anyway, I found some pictures of his first christmas. And some of my dad huging him. And me my dad and the dog. Good pics. I'm glad to have. He never changed much. He was smart as a puppy and even as an adult he was still smart and acted exactly like he did as a pup. He was so easy to train. I mean come on I was only like 7 or so when I tought him sit and shake. I'm older now and I can't even house train my other dogs. He always looked a little sad when he couldn't go for walks anymore. That was his favorite thing to do. My dad just took him around the street a time or two because that was all the dog could handle but he still was up for that. When I ran down into the basement the other day and seen otis the way he was, it was sooo hard I was screaming like I was being killed. He didn't seem to even know where he was at. I called my dad and he rushed home from work to take otis to the vet. They could have took him in and did a mri and all this stuff but he was already living on borrowed time. And who's to say something else more painful could have happened to him. Maybe if he would have lived he would have fell down the stairs and laid there as he slowly, painfully, died. It could have been worse. And they only live on average like what? 10-12 years? The boxers? And he was 13. Close to 14. He couldn't make it too much longer anyway. All he did anymore was sleep in his chair pretty much. But sometimes he would still try to play. Just like a little puppy. They said he had several strokes. He could have also had cancer and/or epilipcy.
    I have some of the cutest pictures of him, wearing my dads hats. Lol. God I miss him so much. What I wouldn't do to have him back. He was so funny and had a wonderful PERSONality. You he thought he was a person all right. Lol and he was treated like one. Lol.
    How much to have him cloned? Out of curiosity. Why can't life be just a little bit longer? Of course then we would still be asking for a little more. Its never long enough for the ones you love. :(

Feb 4, 2010, 07:57 AM

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I hope you are feeling a little better by now.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 08:05 AM

Sadly, I do not think you could get your dog cloned. They are still in the beginning stages of this. And if you could I have a feeling it would cost millions of dollars. No one knows why life can't be a bit longer. Each day that goes by I still think of my own dog. I know its hard but think of it this way hun, he entered your life so long ago and you and your family gave him a super good life. Without you guys he may of ended up in a home where they didn't love him like you did. Losing a childhood friend (be it dog or person) is always a hard thing to do. But now he is not suffering and he is looking down on you waiting and playing with the other dogs. The pain is still fresh in your heart and all the way deep into you soul, and it will hurt for a long time... Its been since November 2009 since I lost my dog and I still cry when I see pictures of him, and at the same time I have over 100 pictures of him on my computer. When your having a hard time and it hurts like heck, go, sit by his grave and talk to him about it... I did that when I was home, I wish I could still do that but me and my ex broke up and I'm no longer welcome there, all I have is memories and my tattoo and one dark video on YouTube. If you have his leash, collar, maybe even a toy or two you could buy a glass front box, make a little memorial for him to keep in your room. I know it hurts now sweetie, it will hurt for a while but life after death is a must and he will always be there for you inside your heart and mind...
    I send you my love, its hard losing a pet you love so much.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 04:44 PM

He sounds like such, a sweet, smart dog and I know he knows you love him dearly.
    Cloning crosses all our minds when something like this happens, but even if you could pull the money together somehow it wouldn't be the same... he would look like Otis but he wouldn't be Otis.

Time heals all wounds... it's corny but it's true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I saw a black dog today, but no-one else did. [ 9 Answers ]

I saw a black dog today, but no-one else did. I was at work & I was talking to 2 friends. 1 was facing me the other was to my right. As I stood talking to these people I saw out of the corner of my eye a black dog run behind the friend who was standing to my right & launch itself at me (alongside...

Found a lost dog today [ 11 Answers ]

It was kind of interesting. It had weird behaviors. It seemed to be afraid of me, but also seemed to have the excited and urinating problem too. But he didn't bark or run away. I did the normal thing and stooped to his level with palms up. He came close enugh to sniff and smell and then...

Lost love haunts me today. [ 17 Answers ]

My first true love and I dated from the time we were 16 until I ended the relationship when we were 21. We went to high school and college together and experienced every possible "first" together. I ended the relationship because I thought I needed to experience other relationships before...

My dog snapped at my friend today! What do I do? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, My husband and I adopted a sweet Husky/German Shepherd mix from the SPCA about a year and a half ago. We know nothing about her background, except that she was housetrained and knew how to sit and shake. She also heeled like a sled dog, dragging me down the road for a while! Most...

View more questions Search