Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mace4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Kenmore UltraWash Quiet Guard 3 Dishwasher no Longer Cleaning the Top Rack
    I have had my Kenmore UltraWash Dishwasher for 2.5 years and it started by not cleaning the upper rack at all. Just recently it is now barely cleaning the lower rack. I have been searching the internet and have noticed a lot of people running into problems with these dishwashers and was wondering if anyone ran across the same problems? I was going to call a repairman but would save my money if the consensus was to just go out and purchase another one if it wasn't worth fixing. Is it worth fixing - any thoughts?

My friend has the same one and hers went on the fritz earlier than mine. My advice to anyone wanting to buy one! DON'T!!

Please share any help with me that you can offer. Thanks.
    Elktrekker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 07:36 AM
    I have the same problem. I have a Kenmore 665.16012403, UltraWash Quiet Guard 3purchased in Aug. 2006. So, two years old. For the last several months the top rack doesn't seem to get water. Sears is no help. It appears to be not enough pressure getting to the top wash arm. Also, I noticed when I search for my model number, it doesn't seem to exist. I can't even use the model number online to get parts.

My previous Whirlpool, bought two years earlier, did the same thing and I replaced it with this piece of junk.

Any thoughts... the pump, perhaps? Or something more simple (I hope).
    scottfamily8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Oct 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Ok, think simple solution.
    These models are "designed" to be able to put your dishes in covered with food. Yeah right!
    The screens and filters below the lower arm get clogged and the water pressure to the upper arm and roof sprayer gets lower and lower until no water at all comes out.

Simple solution! Remove the lower arm. Remove the 4 screws holding the screen and remove it. Clean it!
    Remove the one small screw holding the lower plastic housing, right up front. Remove the housing and you will find a treasure of food stuffs! I found food, plastic fork prongs, grapefruit pits, and small beads! (I have a 2 year old!)

I used a wet/dry shop vac to remove the stuff.

Re-assemble and put a cup face up in the top rack.

Try it on quick rinse and it should fill the cup in about 20 seconds!

And don't call Sears again!
    Elktrekker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Thanks, much. That was absolutely the problem. I cleaned it out a few weeks ago and found similar stuff including glass. It worked great for two weeks, then I had to clean it out again and found one single propel opening cover (you know, the round paper with glue you have to peel off to drink). It was covering one of the ports. Very poor design of a dishwasher, but not that hard to clean out every couple of weeks or so. It's due again. Maybe these emails will help other users.

Thanks and Happy Halloween!

Remove the one small screw holding the lower plastic housing, right up front. Remove the housing and you will find a treasure of food stuffs! I found food, plastic fork prongs, grapefruit pits, and small beads! (I have a 2 year old!)

I used a wet/dry shop vac to remove the stuff.

Re-assemble and put a cup face up in the top rack.

Try it on quick rinse and it should fill the cup in about 20 seconds!

And don't call Sears again![/QUOTE]
    cHOBLET Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
    [QUOTE=Elktrekker;1245918]I have the same problem. I have a Kenmore 665.16012403, UltraWash Quiet Guard 3purchased in Aug. 2006. So, two years old. For the last several months the top rack doesn't seem to get water. Sears is no help. It appears to be not enough pressure getting to the top wash arm. Also, I noticed when I search for my model number, it doesn't seem to exist. I can't even use the model number online to get parts.

I have the same problem. I have the Quite Guard 5. I tried to take off the arm but the plastic screw just turns.
    carolineatwork Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 09:12 AM
    "Remove the one small screw holding the lower plastic housing, right up front. Remove the housing and you will find a treasure of food stuffs! I found food, plastic fork prongs, grapefruit pits, and small beads! (I have a 2 year old!)"

Hi!
    Culd you help, I have removed the arm, and the small screws, but that spot where the "one" screw is to rmove the screen doesn't seem to budge, nor can I see what size to use to remove it, so I can't get the screen off. Would appreciate any help!
    Thanks,
    Caroline
    scottfamily8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
    I'll see if I can help. It was last Fall when I did this but it is pretty easy.
    Once you remove the arm, the plastic screw is turned opposite to remove, you'll need to remove the lower section of the water transfer pipe. This is the flat wide plastic pipe that delivers water to the upper sprayer. It snaps into the pump and if you remove the srew on the back wall of the washer the pipe will swing out of your way. No need to remove it completely. The big round screen is held in by three or four star screws. You'll need a star driver or a set screw driver. Once you remove those screws the screen should pop off. You may need to wedge it off with a screw driver or a dull knife. Once the screen is off the plastic housing (right in the front, covering the lower plastic screen is held in with one screw. I can not remember if it is also a star screw or not. I think it is in the front part of the screen. This screen snaps into place so you'll have to "unsnap" it. As I remember, it sort of folds forward into place. Once it is off you can see the metal "grinder" below and that's where all the good stuff clogging the water flow will be found!
    I used a wet/dry shop vac to suck it all out.
    Then the fun part, put it all back together!
    Put a cup in the top rack right side up and give it 20 seconds of wash and it should be full!

****Be careful not to drop the screws into the motor!****

I hope this helps!

Remember, don't call Sears!

The last time we had them in, the washer was under warranty and they replaced the motor. The problem they came for had the same symptoms that indicated, a clogged filter screen! They replaced the motor, failed to install the seal properly and the dishwasher leaked into my crawl space for two- three weeks before we noticed. The damage was well over $5,000 in damaged from mold in our NEW cabinets, walls and insulation. Four weeks to get it all put back together. I HATE SEARS!
    Gogrango Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Hello everyone, just so you all know Sears is now an american company and their helpdesk is in India. Good luck trying to get help
    rgoodpasture Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Tried the solution above and it worked GREAT! thanks for the idea, saved me purchasing a new dishwasher.
    JenDameral Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottfamily8 View Post
    I'll see if I can help. It was last Fall when I did this but it is pretty easy.

****Be careful not to drop the screws into the motor!****
    Um.. and if it is too late for this now? Screw has been dropped!! :(
    briannky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 06:05 PM
    I had this problem as well and successfully cleaned out the bottom as instructed above. However, the problem still persisted. I determined that there was not enough water getting into the washer. There is a valve of some sort where the water intake connects. I shut down the power and turned off the water to the dishwasher... disconnected the water line. The piece that the water hose connects too is held in place by a small hex screw to the left of the piece. Then, I removed 4 small screws that held the piece together. This allowed the piece to separate and I could see a screen type deal inside that had a bunch of hard water gunk built up that seemed to be blocking the water flow. I removed the screen with my pliers and washed the gunk off in the sink. I replaced the screen and put everything back together. The washer was back to it's "like new" self! :) Hope this helps somebody!
    eckhard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 09:37 AM
    [QUOTE=scottfamily8;1521013] Once the screen is off the plastic housing (right in the front, covering the lower plastic screen is held in with one screw. I can not remember if it is also a star screw or not. I think it is in the front part of the screen. This screen snaps into place so you'll have to "unsnap" it. As I remember, it sort of folds forward into place. Once it is off you can see the metal "grinder" below and that's where all the good stuff clogging the water flow will be found!

I did all this and can't seem to get this last plastic housing off... I don't want to break the plastic. Any other tips?? :(
    Art_D Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Yes... 99% of this "advice" is typical internet nonsense!!
    Davenlc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Use a Magnet
    cyberhunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Remove the grider all together works good now
    widowmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 09:41 AM

So I followed everyone's great advice-cleaned out all the gunk, put it back together-but I have a thin clear washer left. Where does this go?
    five25two Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Thanks a bunch scottfamily8, very helpful, It was as easy as you described, I too was considering calling Sears, and your answer convinced me to try my own repair, it worked, and I saved an expensive service call, or worse, I was considering throwing my dish washer out.
    Thanks
    five25two Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by widowmom View Post
    So I followed everyones great advice-cleaned out all the gunk, put it back together-but I have a thin clear washer left. Where does this go?
    Having just done this, and if you are talking about a thin washer approximately 2' across, I would have to say this was used more as a bushing and not a washer, I believe it went under the bottom spinner to ride on and not much more significant than that.It is probably used so there is a smooth surface for the spinner to ride on. I don't think you have to worry about getting it back in place.
    Although I am not a pro, that's what I think.
    Mike J Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 01:40 PM
    I used the solution to fix y 2 year old dishwasher -- seems to be working fine now -- the screws in my machine had torque screw heads -- as for the plastic arm on the back wall of the machine -- unclip it from the backets (back wall and top) and turn the whole arm slightly (carefully) to the right and it will come off the base bracket easily enough -- found my treaser under the cover of the grinder - which I had some trouble with, but found that after removing the torques srew on the left, it lifted straight up
    gfavor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2010, 05:49 PM

You guys have saved my butt!! I’m not exactly Mr. Handy, but I was not happy about calling someone to my home to fix my washer. We got it with our new home, which was 5 years ago. Over the past weeks we noticed things didn’t clean like they used to. I even reread the directions to see what we suddenly did wrong. The directions clearly state to save water and don’t rinse the dishes. I always wondered where that ucky stuff went; well I surely did find out. What A MESS!! Reading these mailings from you guys gave me the confidence to take things apart and start cleaning. Worse case I’d have to call someone to fix my mess. About 2.5 hrs later … problem solved!! My wife was quite impressed; I earned lots of point for that event. Guess who’s going to rinse the dishes from now on :o) Thanks for these responses. You guys ROCK!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Ultrawash Dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a Kenmore Ultawash dishwasher that I'm having problems with. It's about 5 years old, and until recently worked fine. Now whenever I use it the dishes, especially glasses come out dirty, with flecks of stuff glued all over them. I've been practically pre-washing the dishes before I put them...

Dishwasher top rack not cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

We have a whirlpool dish washer(GU1500XTLQ0) that is around 4 years old. The top shelf seems to not be cleaning. I ran it with the door partly open and can see it is getting water up the arm. I tooy out the arm and it is not blocked and spinns freely. The very top spinner gets no water out of it....

No water on top rack of Kenmore dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr old Kenmore dishwasher that is not spraying any water on the top rack. I have already disassembled the upper wash and rinse parts and verified they were not plugged up. Is there anything else I can check before calling in the repairman?

View more questions Search