Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SKI2DALOW Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 07:14 PM
    Furnace fan won't shut off when temp is reached
    I have a 2001 Tempstar DC90 Ultra High Efficincy furnace ! The problem is that the fan will not shut off when the desired temp. gets reached?? I have it set for 70 degrees and it lights up heats up gets to 70 degrees flame shuts off but fan keeps going?? I turned off and reset everything multiple times and also made sure my thermostat fan switch was set to auto.
    SOMEONE PLEASE HELP W/ SOME ADVICE PLEASSSSSSE!!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
    Sounds like the blower relay is stuck in the on position from your description. If your furnace has a circuit board this relay is usually located on the board and is not a service replaceable part. You have to buy the circuit board is the relay is the problem. Now some people have tried to replace that relay with one from an electronics store but a real service person will never do that due to liability and lawyers always looking to generate a lawsuit no matter what happened or who caused it.

Jan 29, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Sounds like the blower relay is stuck in the on position from your description. If your furnace has a circuit board this relay is usually located on the board and is not a service replaceable part. You have to buy the circuit board is the relay is the problem. Now some people have tried to replace that relay with one from an electronics store but a real service person will never do that due to liability and lawyers always looking to generate a lawsuit no matter what happened or who caused it.

hvac1000 would you still that would be the problem even if occasionally it shuts off and works once in awhile?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 07:53 PM
    There are many different possibilities but the blower relay always comes to mind first since I have seen that many times before.

You could have a shorted green wire at the thermostat all the way down to the furnace. The green wire or G terminal controls the blower in the A/C mode but if shorted could cause the blower to run no matter what you set the thermostat at. just for the heck of it disconnect the G= Green wire at the low voltage terminal strip in the furnace or low voltage thermostat wires that feed the furnace and see if the blower still has problems. If it works OK after the G wire disconnect then you have a wiring or thermostat problem.

Now if you changed the thermostat lately and did not state that in your first post that could be the problem. Try the G wire removal and post back. NOTE leave all the other wires alone and kill the power before removal and do not allow the wire to touch anything else during the test.

Jan 29, 2010, 08:13 PM
    Only a black and white wire that runs from the thermastat to furnace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coleman electric Furnace blower keeps running after temp is reached [ 4 Answers ]

Older Coleman electric furnce the blower stays on for 5-30 minutes after temp is reached it always shut down 2-3 minutes before any help thanks

A/C won't shut off once desired temp is reached [ 5 Answers ]

I recently changed out my old mercury thermostat to a Honeywell RTH3100C digital non-programmable thermostat. The issue I'm having is that once the desired temperature is reached on the thermostat the a/c won't shut off. What could be the issue?:(

LENNOX Furnace fan won't SHUT off? Won't come on on AUTO? [ 33 Answers ]

Lennox G12Qe series 1986... furnace lights and if I wire blower up to constant power will work.. but blows luke warm air out... Any ideas... blower will not come on unless I hook up constant to it..

Furnace fan won't shut off? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 24 year old furnace and A/C unit combined. I have a 4 wire thermostat for the unit. I have interruptable service, where there is a box outside my house, in conjunction with the electric meter for the whole house. The interruptable box ONLY works for the A/C, and sometimes under heavy DTE...

Furnace Fan won't shut off [ 5 Answers ]

Please help. My heat had been set to on all winter and was working but now that its warmer, I went to turn on the AC and I noticed the outside unit was not working and the fan is running continuously. I shut everything to off on the thermostat and the fan still is running. Turned it back on heat...

View more questions Search