Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 10:36 AM
    When to send a W9
    It is not clear to me when I have to require a W-9. It seems clear when I use services preformed by an individual or business, but do I have to require one for every single payee?

Eg.

Phone service (ej: Bellsouth)
    Freight (Fedex)
    Supplier of Goods purchased for resale
    Good consumed (eg Home Depot; Office Depot; etc... )

What draws the line between whom must send me one or not?

Thanks!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 11:34 PM

This is essentially the same question you asked on the tax forum, since the W-9 is used for information to do 1099's, so if no 1099, no W-9.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/1099-434906.html

Jan 28, 2010, 06:54 AM

Well, I am not so sure about that. You see, I sell computer furniture, and I sell to many Fortune 500 corporations. They require me to send them a W-9. They know I am a corporation (and not a medical or other especifically required to receive 1099s), and they ask for the W9 anyway. Their letters are quite similar saying that the IRS requires them to receive a W9 from all payees (both for services or goods). Therefore, although I also see the logical connection W9/1099, the 1099 does not seem to be the condition to request a W9... If their letters are correct, and lets say I but ink from Office Depot regularly, I should ask them for a W9, which seems ridiculous. Nevertheless, I have not found a clear explanation by the IRS about when to request it.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 01:01 AM

Don't assume that just because a Fortune 500 company does it, that makes it necessary. Sometimes companies will just send the same thing to everyone without paying much attention to who it is, perhaps cause they think it's a waste of time to decide who should or should not fill one out. I've never seen anything where the IRA "requires" them to receive one from all payees.

It says to use the form to request taxpayer ID numbers, and to request certain certifications and exemptions. The form itself says it's "used by persons required to file information returns with the IRS to get the payee's correct name and TIN.' It doesn't say it's required to be sent to everyone regardless, but that its use is for when you have to file something on them. (e.g. 1099) It also can be used (not required) if you have a reason to want it in writing that there's no backup withholding required.

No one's stopping you from sending them if you feel more comfortable about it, but if you really want to send one to everyone, I'm not sure why you asked. I was just answering your question.

Jan 29, 2010, 06:49 AM

Thank you. I agree 100% with your opinion. I believe they just require it to have a formal "identification" document for each supplier. Of course, I do not want to ask each supplier and client for one...

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I send my adult son a birthday gift when he usually doesn't send me one? [ 13 Answers ]

My son will be 26 in March. He has always been a good kid and is usually very thoughtful. The one thing that bothers me terribly is that he doesn't send me a birthday gift or card. He always remembers to call. He also doesn't send any gift/card to his dad. Sometimes, he willl remember us on...

Should I send it? [ 61 Answers ]

Threads merged I have been no contact for a month in a half. She just texted me happy birthday. Should I reply. This is the first time in a month that I have heard anything from her. I know all she is trying to say is happy birthday and there is no hidden message. Should I say thank you or just...

Can't send from OE [ 1 Answers ]

Can't sen email through outlook express said my number are in valid

Should I send something! [ 4 Answers ]

I wanted to send someone flowers to say sorry to them, Does it seem weird to send flowers to a guy.We had a silly misunderstanding which was all my fault. So what do you think.

View more questions Search