Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tinkerbell2004 Posts: 49, Reputation: 17

Jan 20, 2010, 01:18 AM
    My dog literally just had a puppy... what now?
    Okay, so I've never bred dogs before && I believed my 3.5lb yorkie was having a false pregnancy, but apparently somehow my 7lb yorkie got down to her level... this has never happened before && they have been together for about 5 years now. We really didn't think it was possible, apparently he's a little more talented then we first believed. Okay so she just had this puppy at 11:30 pm on 1/19/10. I need ideas on EVERYTHING! Since I have never done this before, is there certain food I should be feeding Chloe (the mother)?

Also, Chloe has always been a "mommy's" girl, she is having issues paying attention to her puppy if I walk away from her at all. She would rather sleep with me then with her puppy. I tried blocking them in a small area together && Chloe just barked, whined, && scratched at the door. I thought maybe she would give up on it... but she didn't. If I let her && the puppy lay next to me, she's fine. But there's no way I can sleep like this. Is the extreme motherly instinct going to kick in soon so she'll pay attention to her puppy more then she will me?

So many questions! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 01:40 AM

Honestly there is far too much to type on here.
    I love love love this page by Chelse Collies, it's very informative and thorough.
    Have a read through that page and come back here if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Newborn Puppies....Care of the Newborn puppy

She may not be finished yet but if she wasn't showing odds are there was only one.
    Just keep a very close eye on her and if she is acting stressed get her to the vet immediately.

Oh and don't forget to get your b*tch spayed once the pups are weaned, can't forget that part ;)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 09:06 PM

If there is a will there is always a way... There have been stranger litters then two different sized yorkies getting it on.

Anyway... You need to ignore your dog. Put her in a quiet room where she can rest and take care of her puppy. Try not to disrupt her for the first 2 weeks.. The most critical time for these pups is right now! This is the time where all the good nutrients mom is giving to her puppies.

My one and only litter had similar problems. The mother was my mom's dog. She would actually sleep in my mom's room away from the puppies every night. I think as long as your puppies are looking good, not losing weight and the mother is feeding as needed, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Some mama dogs don't stay around their puppies all the time, where others will sit on them like chickens.

You may need to talk to a vet for further information on this problem. Some dogs will abandon their puppies because they just don't know what to do.

If you don't want this to happen again, fix both dogs. Its healthier for them in the long run as well...

A good food for lactating mother dogs is puppy food. Right now, anything you give her, is going straight to her puppies. Puppy food will help keep her weight, and will also give her the extra nutrients that her body is asking for.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 09:10 PM

Congrats! :D
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 07:22 AM

Don't forget to check into calcium suppliments for both nursing mom and or pup. Especially since momprolly didn't have the right amount of nutrients while she was pregnant.
    Have you talked to a vet yet?
    Don't for get to spay and neuter to avoide this again!
    Tinkerbell2004 Posts: 49, Reputation: 17

Jan 26, 2010, 05:09 PM

Just to clear things up, I wanted to breed Chloe, I just hadn't taken her to her mate this time, so I was just kind of surprised to see she was pregnant. So I wasn't prepared for puppies.

Chloe and the puppy (male) are going great. Just waiting to hear back from my fiance' to know what he's going to name his new little boy.

Dogs Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 07:48 PM

Yikes I hope you do some research and reading on breeding before you go ahead with another litter.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2004 View Post
    Just to clear things up, I wanted to breed Chloe, I just hadn't taken her to her mate this time, so I was just kind of surprised to see she was pregnant. So I wasn't prepared for puppies.

Chloe and the puppy (male) are going great. Just waiting to hear back from my fiance' to know what he's going to name his new little boy.

The pictures didn't show up.:(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 09:56 PM

I have one or two things to say about the issue of purposefully breeding.
    Please don't take this as a rant or a whinge...

What health tests have been performed on both dogs? (or at least your female)
    If you have the intention of breeding then health testing must be performed.
    Here is a site that details some common problems in Yorkies:
    Yorkie | Yorkshire Terrier | Congential Health Problems

Patellas are a big one in small breed dogs. The patellas are basically the dogs knee caps. They can slip out of place and cause great discomfort and often limit mobility. It's genetic so if both parents have or carry slipping patellas odds are you are going to end up with puppies with the same problem.
    It's the same with any health probems and just because the 2 dogs are healthy and don't have the problem doesn't mean they don't carry the problem.
    That's why full, health tested pedigrees are so important.

If I didn't get both my dogs desexed I could almost guarantee the puppies would be healthy and not have any problems because the parents of mine, as well as the grandparents have all been tested and I have copies of the certificates to prove it.
    However, I studied breed standards and decided that in all honesty, my 2 were not perfect examples of the breed and therefor did not deserve to be bred from. (My boy is 1/2 inch over the standard height and my girl has a terrible set front)

Here is the Yorkie Breed Standard for you to have alook at and decide if your dog(s) fit these requirements:
    American Kennel Club - Yorkshire Terrier
    Dogs Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 06:56 AM

Honestly Tinkerbell, it's not just slapping two dogs together and letting them go at it, there is so much more then that to breeding. I am not sure what your motives for breeding are, but if it is for some extra cash, let me tell you reputable breeders do not make "extra cash" off their litters.
    There is a long line of expenses with whelping a litter, and Shaz only touched the tip of the ice burg.
    If breeding is something you are seriously interested in, then you need to find a professional mentor to help you and you need to research and study. The last thing this world needs is another Back Yard Breeder. I know you love your dog, but there is so much more then just love that goes into this.
    It really is concerning that you didn't think your two un-altered dogs couldn't mate due to size.
    It also appears that your dogs are at least 5 years of age.
    In the same way that there is a recommended age for the first pregnancy, there is also a recommended age for the last one.
    So seeing your little girl just had a pup, how long do you intend to wait before breeding her again?
    Please consider this: your dog is not a vending machine, and at age 5-6, after one pup, any reputable breeder would not want to force their "beloved" pet to endure another litter. Dogs that are forced to produce litter after litter will almost always have health issues and a shortened life span. Just to let you know most breeders wait 2 years before they breed their dogs again.
    So there are some facts to think about. Oh, just FYI you can get you female spayed after her pup is fully weaned off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my dog look at my new puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I got a new puppy. A male pembroke welsh corgi. My other dog, al male, but neutered Australian Cattle Dog, does not like him. My acd will bark and growl at the puppy if it is near him, but once the pupy goes about five feet from him, he will stop barking/growling and look away and completely...

Puppy dog [ 2 Answers ]

My 7month LhasaApso isbleeding, is this normal at such a young age?

Dog won't eat since we got a new puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 3yr old male yorkie, who we recently bought a companion for so he's not alone when we decide to start a family. The new puppy is a 9 week old female mini schnauzer. Baxter (the yorkie) has within the week of getting the puppy, has vomited 8-10 times and has the runs. He also will not eat...

How do I get my older dog to like my puppy? [ 7 Answers ]

I have had my chihuahua puppy since he was 7weeks old- he is now 3 months. I have an older dog which is a cross and he is 12 years old. I have had the older dog since he was 1, he is as soft as anything and really well behaved. When I first brought the puppy home, the older dog was very...

When does a puppy become a dog? [ 15 Answers ]

I was just wondering at what age does a puppy become a dog. It sounds kind of silly but I want to know when to convert from puppy to dog products, such as food and shampoo. Also, Callie is a 3 month old Maltipoo, she's 5 1/2 lbs... is she fully grown? When will she stop growing?

View more questions Search