Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortensweet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Carrier Furnace Problems - flashing red light
    I have a high efficiency carrier furnace. When I came home yesterday I noticed that my house was a lot colder then it should be. The fan was blowing but no hot air. I checked the furnace and the LED red light was flashing - 3 quick then 1 long. On the back panel it said this indicated one of a few problems
    1. Pressure draft safeguard
    2. Auxilary-limit (when used)
    3. or block vent shut off (when used)
    4. switch did not close or reopen.

I checked outside to see if any leafs were blocking the intake and it seemed clear. Can anyone help with this as I would hate to pay for a service call when it could be something simple and easy enough that I fix.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shortensweet View Post
    I have a high efficiency carrier furnace. When I came home yesterday I noticed that my house was alot colder then it should be. The fan was blowing but no hot air. I checked the furnace and the LED red light was flashing - 3 quick then 1 long. On the back panel it said this indicated one of a few problems
    1. Pressure draft safeguard
    2. Auxilary-limit (when used)
    3. or block vent shut off (when used)
    4. switch did not close or reopen.

I checked outside to see if any leafs were blocking the intake and it seemed clear. Can anyone help with this as I would hate to pay for a service call when it could be something simple and easy enough that I fix.
    There is a reset switch up at the pressure draft safeguard, try to reset it, if you hear a click that was the problem.

Also I would look for all of the safety switches and make sure all are intact and do not need to be reset,

One other suggestion, I would try this one first. Unplug your furnace, turn the thermostat to the off position, and wiat for about five minutes. Now make sure doors are all in place, plug the furnace back in and turn the thermostat to the heat position and make sure the temp is set higher that the actual temp.

Here is another check, take the doors off, use a piece of tape over the door switch to make sure it is held in place. Turn the termostat to the off position, then read the instructions about a test terminal, I think it says jumper from the test terminal to the common terminal on the low voltage portion of the circuit board, hold this for just a second, the furnace will then go through each phase of the cycle except turning on the fire.
    johnrita814p Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Comment on letmetellu's post
    Very good
    shortensweet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Thanks! It ended up being the pressure switch!
    edwkra3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 11:54 AM
    I have a carrier heat and air unit, the led is flashing (1) quick flash, (3) long flashes. It has a switch on the wall, if i flip the switch the heat will come on for one cycle, i can't find any reset switches. Anyone have suggestions
    Thank you
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 07:17 PM

You flashes you are seeing could be 1 and 3 or 3 and 1. It is two different codes. And you should have a paper on the front of your furnace that tells you what each code means. Code 31 has to do with the venting system or the limit switches.

One of the things that you can do is to find the pressure switch, it is in the uper part of the furnace and will have two terminal wires connected to it, between these terminals in a smally reset button sticking up about 1/8 of an inch. Press this switch, if you hear a click that means that you have reset the switch and the unit may start. There is another of these switches just above the burners about midway in the furnace, try to reset it the same way.

If this does not help try this. There is a limit switch up above the burners, about twelve inches, it has two wires connected to spade clips. Short across these two post and see if the unit starts.

There is one unit that will give you this code if the circuit board is bad. This board has a black plastic case around it. Good luck.
    Jrown1357 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 03:57 PM
    My furnace has a blinking red light pilot lights but blower nor heat turns on... blinking is not in any certain sequence.
    rberry62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2013, 11:36 PM
    (1) short blink, (1) long blink, (3) short blinks... What does this mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Furnace Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am richard nguyen I have a furnace name carrier I look at the led keep flashing all the time. I replace a new burnner, I clean up the sensor really well When I turned on again, the led flashing? Anyone know how to solve this problem please let me know >Personal email address removed...

Carrier furnace problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a carrier furnace (17 years old) that quit recently. After wiggling a few wires, tapping here and there, I could get it to start up and operate for several days before it quit again. (it has electronic ignition) I can get it to work, but now it works only for one or two cycles (it's getting...

Carrier furnace problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a carrier furnace (17 years old) that quit recently. After wiggling a few wires, tapping here and there, I could get it to start up and operate for several days before it quit again. (it has electronic ignition). I can get it to work, but now it works only for one or two cycles (it's getting...

How do you light the pilot light of a Carrier furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you light the furnace of a Carrier furnace model #58DLA110-12?

View more questions Search