Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ponaldson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
    My dog pooped a solid red poop
    I just took my three year old dog in a couple days ago to treat a bladder infection. Today on our walk she pooped a solid red poop. It was a healthy, normal poop except for the color. I looked at the treats we are giving her with her medication (Clavomax for bladder infection) and the treats contain Red40 dye.
    She is her normal self, playing, eating, drinking... just had an abnormal poop. Any ideas?

Jan 22, 2010, 09:44 AM

Just called the vet, she is going in in a few hours. The fact that she had blood in her urine (bladder infection) and now red poop is not normal. I will post what he says for anyone else that may have this problem.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:29 AM

Great job in calling the vet!
    Dye's and such USUALLY don't show in the poop, unless it was something completley red...

Jan 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Yeah, the vet ran an analysis and found no blood in the stool. He said to call in the morning if things get worse. But as of yet, her energy is the same, she is still goofy, loving, happy-go-lucky Dori. He could not seen anything else that would raise alarm.

It is strange, as we were leaving the vet she did another all-red poop. The vet described it best as looking like a red velveteen cake. It has the same coloring and was solid... not runny?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 06:04 PM

A drug commonly given to patients with bladder infections is phenazopyridine or pyridium which turns the urine or stool orange or red (and greatly reduces bladder pain). You might not notice the red urine.

But I would think the vet would have thought of that.

Was your dog given this drug?

Jan 22, 2010, 06:12 PM

No, she was given the dog wonder drug "Clavomax" the thing I swear all vets give for any ailment. Needless, to say she has been given this drug in the past.

The vet suggested it may have been something she ate. My husband likes to give them "treats" he feels bad that they constantly eat the same food day in and day night and last night gave them taco meat (with ground turkey instead of beef) But I still don't see how that would have produced velveteen poop... either way I am hoping my husband learned that table scraps are not the best way to show love to our dogs.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 06:22 PM

Clavamox ( amoxicillin/clavulanic acid) given a lot because it is a broad spectrum antibiotic that a lot of stuff doesn't have a resistance to. It is a wonder drug in many cases. :P
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 08:31 PM

This thread is one of the ones that puts my faith back in people.

Thank you for calling the vet so quickly, good job.

When I feed mine treats with a lot of dye in them it drastically changes the color of their poop, not so much as what you described, but it does change it.

And oh yes, amoxicillan is great, cured many a problem here ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 06:17 AM

Has there been a third red BM? Any dyes in food should have passed by the second one. If there has, then the first thing to do is make absolutely certain the pup doesn't have a "stash," like a red blanket or something she chews on. After that, have the vet call the research people.
    testUserovich Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 04:25 PM
    There is a website to help with this: http://www.redpoop.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A guest puppy pooped in our house, now our dog is pooping in the same spot [ 14 Answers ]

Yesterday, friends brought their puppy to our house. While we took a short day trip the 10 month old puppy got out of the kitchen by chewing through his fence and then pooped all over the upstairs. :mad: So what do you think our dog did today to reclaim her territory? Pooped in all of the same...

Dog frequently peeing and once pooped in house. [ 1 Answers ]

:mad:I get so upset when our dog who has frequent usage to the outdoors, pees in the house and has once pooped under the dining room table. It upsets me to the point where I'm ready to give her away. But I love her so much and get over my anger quickly until the next pee incident. She is really...

Intertherm furnace solid red light [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed that our Intertherm furnace has a solid red light that comes on occasionaly when the heat is running. Does it just mean the fan is coming on? SHould I be concerned? THank you

Adult adopted dog pooped in crate [ 3 Answers ]

Our 4 to 5 year old adult dog (white shepherd, siberian husky, &? Mix), adopted from our next-door neighbors when they had to move, came to live with us on 11/10/07. I had done daycare for her all last year while her master was at school. She has been content and happily sleeping in her crate since...

Housetrained dog pooped in house! [ 2 Answers ]

My year old Border Collie mix has been completely houstrained for more than seven months. We recently got a new German Shepherd puppy. Last night and tonight, my older dog pooped right in my dining room. WHY?

View more questions Search