Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Badcat_2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 02:58 AM
    Aqua-air v100 psi?
    Hi, we have a V100 and have had pressure problems lately in the house we just moved into last year (it's been fine until the other day). Tom stated that the tank pressure should be 2 psi below the pump cut-in. Our cut-in is about 38-40 psi but the tank pressure is 60 psi (the previous owner said this is what they kept it at and it worked fine). I've done all the tests as described above and it seems the tank (bladder) is fine but still no pressure in the lines. I've tried adding more air, which keeps the pressure but then the pump kicks in too often, and reducing which results in lost pressure and it takes forever for the pump to kick in. I guess the question is, what would you consider the 'average(?)' working psi and is there such a thing?

Thanks,
    Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 21, 2010, 06:29 AM

First a little information. How old is your house and what type of pipinnbg do you have? Plastic, copper or galvanized? Do you have good pressure at first and then it falls off after a bit or just no pressure at all?
    The bladder tank should be charged at 2 PSI under the cut in pressure of the system.
    House pressures run between 40 and 60 PSI with the average being 45 PSI.
    Back to you, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 07:08 AM

Bad, you don't adjust pressure in the tank. The pressure at the top of the tank should be set at 2# below the cut in pressure. This is done with the breaker off and the tank drained down (through a low level faucet) to zero pressure. Once you do this, leave it alone. You cannot solve problems by continually readjusting pressure in the tank.

Additionally, the tank pressure, once you turn the pump back on, will go up and down. You might set it at, say, 30#, then check it later and it might read 60#. That is normal.

"Set it and forget it"
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 21, 2010, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the backup, jlisenbe.
    You're bang on. Tom
    Badcat_2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Thanks Speedy; I did get that, it's just the previous owner of the house had been playing with the psi so I just needed an understanding as to setup and how it all worked in general once it was set. After sending in my question, I found this site which completely filled me in on the inner workings so I thought I'd share for others:

Troubleshooting Bladder Pressure Tanks
    http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/dw/Publications/331-342_4-18-06.pdf

Btw, it's all up and running great so thanks!

Because
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 05:22 PM

Good for you. Glad to hear it worked out.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 21, 2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the update Cat. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A.O. Smith Aqua-Air Model V60 Water Pump and Storage tank [ 2 Answers ]

We have an A.O. Smith Aqua-Aid Model V60 Water pump and storage tank. The pressure fluctuates between 35 and 58 psi when water is running. I believe this to be normal. My issue is after a period of non-use and water is run the tank will make a "bang/clunk" sound when the pump turns on. It...

Aqua Air V60 Ser GF9514 [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved to this location. When water is being used the unit switch goes on and off rapidly. I reset the on-off to 40-60 and it still does the rapid movement from on and off. Also, how do you check to see if the bladder is ruptured and how can you check the air in the tank? Can you use an air...

O.a. Smith, aqua air pressure tanks [ 0 Answers ]

I have an O. A. Smith Aqua Air Model V60 pressure tank that needs to be replaced. Is there a supplier in the Winnipeg Manitoba area where I can obtain a new tank? Is there a source elsewhere from which a tank can be ordered?

Aqua-air v60 with a bad bladder. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an aqua-air v60 with a bad bladder. Two questions. First, do you have any recommendations for replacements or are they all pretty much the same and I should just choose the lowest cost replacement. Second, what is the process for replacing one of these tanks? Thanks in advance!

400 PSI Water and Air Tank [ 1 Answers ]

I need a small 2 to 3 gallon tank that I can fill half way with water and then put pressurized air to about 400 psi so I can get high pressure water out of the tank. What type of tank could I use? I think propane tanks are only good up to about 200 psi and I think diving tanks don't draw off the...

View more questions Search