Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rfdeguzman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Removing glued ABS fitting to ABS piping
    I glued an ABS toilet flange to ab ABS pipe roughing. The fitting did not go down all the way and is 1/2" proud of the tile flooring. I now want to remove the fitting and replace with a new fitting. How do I do it without damaging the receiving pipe. Pipe is in concrete floor. Thanks, Bob
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2006, 08:11 AM
    You really should have been more careful in gluing the flange. Gluing two pieces of plastic together is sort of a misnomer. They aren't glued together. They are welded together.l The glue melts the plastic and they become one piece. In short, you're not going to remove the flange until you cut it out.
    Your best bet would be to cut the flange out at the floor line and replace it with a inside flange. If the plumber installed a closet wrapper to gtive you some space between the pipe and the cement then you may be able to glue in another flange. If not, then go with a inside flange. Good luck, Tom
    AgtOrange Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 01:18 PM
    I see this is an old post but if anyone else is reading this looking for a solution, Speedball isn't entirely correct. If the flange you've installed is an inside flange made from abs/pvc you can use a special tool to ream it out (ie: drill it out). I just made the same mistake - my flange fit too tightly and I couldn't get it flush with the floor before the glue set up. I found a tool online called a Pipe Hog (made by Wheeler-Rex) that will bore the fitting out of the pipe so a new fitting can be installed. Just do a search for Pipe Hog or check out the following link to see what I'm talking about. The tool is a bit pricy but they may be available for rent in your area. Even if I have to buy one it sure beats breaking up my concrete (basement bathroom) floor to fix this mistake.

Hope this helps someone out there in a similar bind.

Oops, here's the link:
    http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info-pvc-pipe-reamer
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 04:08 PM

Both of you are correct... However, Toilet should be able to absorb that extra 1/2"...
    finder2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Something that worked for me was a heat gun... It softened the abs cement to almost like a tar and I was able to pull them apart. Cleaning them up is another to use again is in chapter 2 :)
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Dec 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
    A 1/2" high or 1/2" low flange, you should still be able the set the toilet on it with no problem or leaks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ABS light [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 92 Honda Accord. What would make the ABS light stay on all the time?

Help With Abs [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am 6 feet tall and weigh 152 pounds. I don't have a belly, but I do feel like I have a slight layer of fat over my abdominal section. I'm wondering if this is just unworked abs? I've been doing 2 sesions of 20 sit ups 5 times a week, so far for 2 weeks, and so far no results. My abs...

Abs help [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 years old; I know most of the ab exercises in the book. I have a small 4 pack; the very top 2 abs are not very defined while the 2 below those are the most and the lower 2 have almost no definition. I know that cardio will help me see the cuts, but I just want to know some killer ab...

Old abs [ 1 Answers ]

I need to splice into an ABS stack that is 40 or more years old. I'll be using PVC and generally know how to do it, but I've read that ABS gets brittle as it ages. Is there any special advice on how to cut it other than "be careful"?

Abs Vs Pvc [ 4 Answers ]

Just wondering what the differences are between ABS and PVC pipes, other than the color? Why is ABS almost always used for drains? Thanks ;)

View more questions Search